PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have asked the GKCPC if they think holding a pipe smoking contest at the local B&M (our sponsor) on the Saturday before IPSD is a good idea. Maybe be even setup up a couple tables to offer guidance to new pipe smokers such as how to load, light, maintain his pipe and how to select entry level pipes. Maybe some general information on the different types of tobaccos.
Anybody else think this is a good idea?? I know IPSD is on Feb 20 (a Monday) but I don't like scheduling an event on a Monday.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Yes. It's a great idea, and once you get arranged, please get me ALL the details.
We will publicize it here, and we want to talk to the tobacconists too, about helping them get the local media to cover it.
I am working with the United Pipe Clubs of America and the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association to get this into the mainstream media as much as possible.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
It sounds like a great idea, even if Mondays aren't the best.
I wish you all success if you are planning something.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
That is exactly what our little club has been doing for years, way before i was ever involved. It usually goes over pretty well, I wish you luck

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well, it is always something. Okay we are going to do something February 25th (Feb 18th is the St. Louis Pipe Show). It will be at Cigar & Tabac in Overland Park, KS.
I should have the big picture taken care of by Monday. But, I think we will have a fun pipe smoking contest (we are not going to go overboard on the overbearing rules) with three prizes (a quality estate pipe, a pound of bulk tobacoo and a 1/2 pound of bulk tobacco). We will also set up some seminars for newbies on loading and lighting a pipe, daily maintenance of your pipe, and some free samples of tobacco.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a link to a poster you can download from Neil Roans blog site:

http://passionforpipes.squarespace.com/neills-blog/2012/1/9/international-pipe-smoking-day-2012.html

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Okay, I think we have this sorted out.
The GKCPC IPSD Celebration will be held at Cigar & Tabac in Overland Park, KS, from 12PM - 4Pm on February 25, 2012. The Pipe Smoking contest will begin at 1PM and be rather informal. We want to encourage beginning smokers to enter the contest so we aren't going to overwhelm them with rules. We will have a dozen or so pipes for people to use. If more than a dozen show up then they can use their own pipe provided we approve it. We will have dowels for tampers but if somebody wants to use their own that's fine. We will supply the matches and the tobacco. Entry fee is $10 and you get to keep the pipe you used. First prize is a nice estate pipe. Second prize is a pound of tobacco, Third prize is a half-pound of tobacco.
We will have seminars on how to load, tamp and light your pipe. Also how to do daily maintenance on your pipe. And how to buy estate pipes.
First ten people who join the GKCPC at this session will be given a free tin of club tobacco ($10 value).

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
This is so cool! I wish I could come!! I'm only 22 hours away! Hahaha. Damn I'm jelly...

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Here's the program that we are going to be following:
INTERNATIONAL PIPE SMOKING DAY

PIPE SMOKING CONTEST
Sponsored by the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club & Cigar & Tabac
Prizes for First, Second & Third Places
Saturday, February 25, 2012, 1:00PM

$10.00 Entry Fee (Limit 15 Contestants)
1) Participants may use their own pipes. If they use their pipe they cannot receive a pipe supplied by us. If you use a supplied pipe you get to keep the pipe.

2) Participants may use their own matches or lighter during the "first light period".

3) Participants may use their own tampers.

3) At 12:55PM participants may begin lighting their pipes. Up to 1PM they can apply flame to the tobacco as often as they wish. This five-minute period is the "first light period". From 1PM to 1:05PM they can light up exactly one more time and it must be with a match provided by us.

4) Once a participant cannot generate smoke after 1:05PM he is out.

5) The Contest Committee will settle all disputes and their decisions are final.
Seminars for beginners:
12:30PM - How to Load, Light, and Tamp Your pipe

2:00PM - How to Maintain Your Pipe After Smoking

3:00PM - How to Select an Estate Pipe

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Here's the program that we are going to be following:
INTERNATIONAL PIPE SMOKING DAY

PIPE SMOKING CONTEST
Sponsored by the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club & Cigar & Tabac
Prizes for First, Second & Third Places
Saturday, February 25, 2012, 1:00PM

$10.00 Entry Fee (Limit 15 Contestants)
1) Participants may use their own pipes. If they use their pipe they cannot receive a pipe supplied by us. If you use a supplied pipe you get to keep the pipe.

2) Participants may use their own matches or lighter during the "first light period".

3) Participants may use their own tampers.

3) At 12:55PM participants may begin lighting their pipes. Up to 1PM they can apply flame to the tobacco as often as they wish. This five-minute period is the "first light period". From 1PM to 1:05PM they can light up exactly one more time and it must be with a match provided by us.

4) Once a participant cannot generate smoke after 1:05PM he is out.

5) The Contest Committee will settle all disputes and their decisions are final.
Seminars for beginners:
12:30PM - How to Load, Light, and Tamp Your pipe

2:00PM - How to Maintain Your Pipe After Smoking

3:00PM - How to Select an Estate Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.