Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started smoking pipes only 3 weeks ago, so it may sound funny! I started with Lane 1-Q, as most pipe smokers do. I do enjoy aromatics occasionally, and I am still to find my taste profile, but it overwhelmingly points to Perique / Latakia rich English blends (Ashton's Rainy Day, Dunhill's NightCap), and occasional aromatics. (I have ordered a bunch of virginia in my next rotation to see if I like Virginia)
In fact - it seems to me, that the best way to enjoy aromatics, is when someone else is smoking it in the room! And while I still enjoy occasional Lane 1-Q, my favorite style of aromatics is very similar to Amphora Black Cavendish, and other Amphora blends!
And the worst aromatics I now have in my collection is Ashton's Rainy Day - very interesting tin note, but not a pleasurable smoke, and very bad tongue bites!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Non-aromatics are often characterized as the choice of more experienced pipe smokers, and they tend to be my favorites, in various different genres -- English, Balkan, Va, Va/Per, Semois, and various dark-fired and burley blends. But I have come back around to have some select tobacco-forward aromatic blends in my rotation, and I have to respect aromatic smokers since about 95% of the pipe tobacco market is aromatic blends, thus sustaining the whole market. We wouldn't have all the delectable non-aros if it weren't for the support of aromatic smokers. So enjoy your non-aros but don't look down on aromatic blends or the people who smoke them. Enjoy!

I love room note of aromatics. I dislike heavily cased aromatics, mainly because they produce a lot of moisture and gunk, and don't have even a little Nicotine hit. I enjoy drier aromatics like Amphora.

And since I like room note of aromatics more than the taste - I will still enjoy it when some else smokes it ! :P

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For my own smoking, I enjoy Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and Edward G. Robinson, and have recently enjoyed Peretti Thanksgiving Day Blend and Just for Him/Something Different courtesy of lasttango, tobacco forward but also with flavorings nicely setting off the good base leaf.

Thank you - I will try to get hold of some of these in my next rotation.
For my own smoking, I enjoy Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and Edward G. Robinson, and have recently enjoyed Peretti Thanksgiving Day Blend and Just for Him/Something Different courtesy of lasttango, tobacco forward but also with flavorings nicely setting off the good base leaf.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"In fact - it seems to me, that the best way to enjoy aromatics, is when someone else is smoking it in the room!"
As far as I'm concerned that's the only way to enjoy aromatics...when they're in someone else's pipe :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I still occasionally look for a nice aromatic. I have cobs for that search.
I still haven't found one with the magic of a great non aero tobacco.
But I am willing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.