Interesting Parker Super Briar Bark find, info requested.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello folks, in amongst my latest & rather large estate pipe bundle purchase are many very Interesting pipes, one of which is a Parker Super Briar Bark straight billiard with gorgeous sandblasting.
My understanding of what I read on Pipedia is that it was made in 1926, though I could be totally wrong.
The (very clear) stampings are 'Parker' over 'Briar Bark' with 'Super' in between in a squashed diamond. Then there is "Made In London" over "England". To the left I have 152/F and to the right a number 3 in a circle. According to Pipedia "The first year's pipes (1923) had no date code; from 1924 on it ran consecutively from 1 to 19." which is where I get the 1926 from.
Can any experts out there tell me if I am correct please? Also, what does the 152/F refer to?
I will post a picture tomorrow.
Regards,
Jay.
Edit:I forgot to mention, it has a huge aluminium tube running from the stem right into the bowl!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just found in the same box of pipes another Parker pipe. This is a large smooth billiard with 'Parker' over 'Bruyere' and 'Super' in between in a squashed diamond. To the left is '95F'. On the otherside is 'Made In London' over 'England' followed by either a number 2 or number 8, and this is not in a circle! Also there is 'Pat.No 116989/17'.
So Bill, is this a 1931 pipe?
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As promised here are a couple of pics of the Briar Bark followed by the Super Bruyere. Regards the latter I wonder if that 8 is actually a 2 thereby making the pipe 1925!. Both pipes are uncleaned though I did clean the stampings.
Briar Bark...
imgp4278-600x450.jpg

imgp4291-600x450.jpg

Super Bruyere...
imgp4139-600x450.jpg

imgp4144-600x450.jpg

imgp4304-600x450.jpg

Any thoughts most welcome folks,
Regards,
Jay.

May 31, 2012
It looks like the superscript underlined zero to me too.
This auctioneer made a misreading of that stamp because it is somewhat difficult to make out unless you look really closely...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-OF-YEAR-1925-first-year-Parker-Pipe-Co-created-by-Dunhill-Estate-Pipe-/152088339762?hash=item23692be532:g:gzYAAOSwoydWpP93
The nomenclature game is fun stuff and it's a big hook for collectors.
Although it has been said "you can't smoke nomenclature" it nonetheless adds an enchanting historical dimension!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Your pic is a little blurry, but it looks like an underlined 0 to me too. Even so, a 1950 patent Parker is still a really nice desirable pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks chaps, much appreciated. I have now started a proper clean up and had a look under my microscope and can say quite definitely that it is indeed a '0' over a '_' so bang goes my theory again :?
I can also say this, the heavy cake in the bowl was hard as granite! Took me an age to get it all out. Alas this is another pipe I will not be keeping, it's way too big for my liking.
This here box of estates certainly is throwing up some nice pipes, I spied 3 rather nice Barlings in there today, rather like a lucky dip box of pipes, great fun :)
Thanks again chaps,
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not mentioned the Orliks, Comoy's, Kapmeer (2 thus far), Royal Hunt (never heard of that one, a nice sandblast pot), Ropp Grand Duc, Ropp sandblast bent billiard, Jeantet + more. Plenty here to keep me busy for a while :puffy:
Regards,
Jay
PS: Take a peek at my Shalom thread I started for a most unusual pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just thought I would say that the Super Briar Bark is now refurbed and is an excellent smoker, am well pleased with it :puffy:
Regards the Super Bruyere that too is now finished. Alas it is way too large for me so if anyone out there wants it I would be more than happy to do a straight swap for an American made pipe of equal value. Any takers? Please PM me if so and we can talk turkey.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yes Cobguy, birdseye to the right and flame to the front, left and back. Unfortunately the bowl (top only) is out of round due to some butcher weilding a knife methinks. It was not me!
The aluminium tube insert is present btw.
I shall post pics on the morrow.
By the way, do be aware I am in the UK, I have no idea how much it would cost to send a pipe to the States.
Regards,
Jay.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
On the Forums main page, there is a "Private Messages" Banner on the right side. Under it it says: "You have (number) messages". Click on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.