PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Good Day All;
This was posted on FB a short time ago and thought it interesting. It is a short film about women smoking pipes, circa 1969. What I found most interesting was the packing technique that was taught. I am always interested in different ways of doing things and have been using the technique for the past few days. I was surprised at how well it actually does work.
https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/491718251201210/
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, I also think it was a JJ Fox video.
Packing techniques are interesting to me only in the academic sense. Unless we're talking slices or plugs, then some "technique" is useful.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man, that is a cool old video! Thanks for sharing. I've seen that packing method used before and I've tried it for myself a few times but it's messy and unnecessary in my opinion. It looks cool though.

Jan 8, 2013
I've used that packing technique. It works great for ribbon or shag cut tobacco. Works better going in a circular motion as opposed to back and forth. Drawback is it's quite easy to overfill your bowl if you allow too much of what's in your palm into the pipe. But when done right, the tobacco burns quite well, and I think it's due to the circular motion of packing spiraling the tobacco into the bowl.

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
My grandfather demonstrated this packing method to me when I was 15 starting out pipe smoking. The only difference is he would swirl the pipe in the jar or bag that was full of tobacco.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Rare video. It's great to be transferred back to the 1960s to see how people smoked back then. :puffpipe:

64alex

May 10, 2016
I saw originally from J Fox and it is the method of packing I am using for ribbon cut. It works very well, for me the big advantage is that it avoids packing too tight which is a major problem in packing.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, what you know, I got more sipuffs per light with this packing technique than with my attempts at others. Guess we've something going here after all. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I saw originally from J Fox and it is the method of packing I am using for ribbon cut. It works very well, for me the big advantage is that it avoids packing too tight which is a major problem in packing.
.....when the tobacco is damp, it's a huge problem. Otherwise, no.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[.....when the tobacco is damp, it's a huge problem. Otherwise, no.]
But I dry the tobacco very well....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How well is "very well"?? I don't mean to be a smartass about that, but your definition of very dry is different than mine. Packing too tight has not been a problem at all when my tobacco is less than 65% RH.
And if you try you can pack even mummy dust too tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.