PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Upon receiving my Peterson Saint Patrick's Day 307 and realizing that it wasn't just a close shape of the XL90, but to my eye, the exact same shape as the XL90, I did a little digging just to confirm. I mean, to me it's obviously the same, but perhaps I was missing I very, very slight difference. I could be wrong... But apparently I was right. The 307 is indeed the same shape as the XL90, and in fact one of Peterson's oldest shapes, originally cut by Charles Peterson himself way back in 1896 as the "shape 9." It is also the same as the 9S (DeLuxe System), and has been designated in the past as the 9 B.C. with a short tapered stem.
From an article on Peterson Pipe Notes... "THE B.C. is the oldest bowl shape of the quartet still in production, and is a favorite among estate collectors, where it is found as the 9BC, the BC designation indicating a tapered (B) short (C) stem. It originated in the 1896 catalog as shape 9, and most Kappnists* have at least one of these in their rotation in its various permutations—the XL90 Classic Range or 307 Standard or 9S DeLuxe System being the most commonly seen these days. The 9BC came to prominence in the US in the 1950s and seems to have been a special favorite of Rogers Imports Ltd., as most of them are found in the old Rogers Imports Shamrock line."
I've often thought about returning to my collecting of the XL90 shape, even recently eyeing a beautiful flame grain spigot, and I now know that I have more to choose from, only with different numbers associated with them. I always imagined the 9S, for example, as being a much smaller pipe, although knowing that the "S" indeed meant "System" and not "Small." I think it's because I was informed, perhaps by mistake, at some point that the system pipes were all smaller pipes than the typical standard shapes. Obviously that assumption is very wrong.
It's just a little something I thought was very cool and interesting, and thought I'd share with the rest of you. The article I read is here... http://www.petersonpipenotes.org/tag/peterson-xl90 ... about the Peterson Trom Dubh collection.
Ahhhh... I love learning new things about one of my favorite pipe manufacturers :puffy:

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
It's funny that the same shape has 3 different names, depending on what line it is.
I had this debate a couple years ago. The 2017 PSOI pipe was a unfinished blasted 307. I insisted that it was a XL90. But since it was a 'system' pipe, it was indeed a 307. I was going off of the fact that I have a pre-republic 307 and it is much bigger.

Here she is.
2wr2ck7.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Luvs me the 9S: :puffy:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-supreme-bent-billiard-shape-9s

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Awesome! So it IS the same shape. That's very interesting. I wonder why they choose to call it different things from time to time? Just trying to change it up? All cool stuff. Peterson certainly is one to notice and collect, especially the older Peterson's. I've been throwing an eye over at their Roundstone spigots. I really like the contrasting swirling stem, the blast and obviously the spigot.

Jan 8, 2013
I love that pipe Unkleyoda. I wish I had been following Pipe Smokers Of Ireland more closely at the time when that came out. I must have one. It's lovely!
Anthony, this type of post is why I joined the PM Forums.

Thank you for sharing.
You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. I usually only post goofy non informative stuff, but every once in a while even I get a wild hair for something more beneficial.
George, I remember that post. Lovely pipe!
CCW those Roundstones are nice! And I usually only care for smooths. But that blast of Unkleyoda's and those Roundstones, and a few others catch my eye.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Another 9S. I know I put 3S in the title, but that's because I'm an idiot.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sandblasted-peterson-deluxe-3s-w-windcap
Great topic Anthony

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
The 9BC is a classic, if not the ultimate classic.
If I’m not mistaken the “s” refers to the saddle stem, like in their bulldog, the 80s.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for posting this. I've had an estate Kapruf XL90 for awhile but hadn't smoked it. This post was motivation to load it up and give it a go today. I've no idea how old the one I have is but other pipes I got from the same estate are from the early 1960s. The pipe smoked well and was an interesting change from my usual straight billiards.

Jan 8, 2013
If I’m not mistaken the “s” refers to the saddle stem, like in their bulldog, the 80s.
The 80s comes with all stem types. Tapered, saddle, Plip, and everything in between. My understanding is the S designates a shape outside of the normal system pipe lines as a system pipe. I don't own an 80s so I can't verify that matter of fact.

Jan 8, 2013
80s is saddle, 80b is tapered
But it seems the 80s comes with all stem types, even when called an 80s. Here is one with a tapered.
https://www.tobaccopipes.com/peterson-harp-80s-tobacco-pipe-fishtail/
Here are a bunch of them, showing different stems.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/main-search.cfm
Ok. second link doesn't work. Just go to Smokingpipes.com and enter Peterson 80S in the search.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Anthony, I do not have to look at Smokingpipes, just in my own stock. I have both 80s saddle and 80B taper stamped pipes.

I also have a system deluxe stamped 9S with a B stem. Bought last year new because of the B stem. I think they sometimes

forget things when they stamp.

I think that Mark Irwin have something about Peterson stems on his site - or it will come in the book - or get an old catalog.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a big 9BC fan and own a small Kapruff version. I recently sold my other 9BC, a Premier Selection, that was considerably larger. It was equal in size to my XL90 Supreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.