PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
I’ve read most of what Hemingway has written but didn’t know why he ended his life. Here is interesting new info as to why:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/opinion/02hotchner.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
This is not exactly new news. Here's a good novel, I've read it several times,
https://www.amazon.com/Adios-Hemingway-Leonardo-Padura-Fuentes/dp/184195795X
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My gimpy search engine doesn't open the link, but I've read much of Hemingway and a few biographies. He had a family history with his father committing suicide and probably struggled with depression much of his adult life. However most people who don't commit suicide also don't write a shelf of books, some of them classics, nor win the Nobel Prize. I count the writing much more than the prize. Perhaps arbitrarily, but I do not equate peoples' lives with the circumstances of their departure. I don't think of suicide or a slow, ungraceful, or painful exit as some sort of a judgement on the life. Ernest was troubled, could be a bully, drank way too much always, and did write some less wonderful books along the way, but he got it done to a degree that was exceptional. I'm sorry he had a hard time at the end, but that erases nothing. He got the product on the page, often brilliantly, which is what he set out to do. I've always been intrigued by the rivalry between Hemingway and Faulkner; love both their works. Hemingway took American English in the twentieth century and discovered its meaning and music on the page. William delved back into the history of the South and made it speak in a new and fantastical way. Which is better? I say yes.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
A fantastic writer ... I always wondered what exactly pushed him over the edge. I suspected that some sort of mental illness. I appreciate the share.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Mso: A possible tortured soul. He could write one heck of line but with the alcoholism, he most likely had some demons. While I think everyone has something, some sort of struggle, it is how we deal with that struggle that proves to be important. He was around in a time when feelings weren't really discussed much less thought about. The stigma of mental illness isn't gone but it was much different then.
DMC: Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be picking that one up I think.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've enjoyed most of what I've read by Hemingway. Anymore, I try not to delve too deeply into the personal biographies of entertainers; they're just too damned disappointing as people to make it enjoyable. As cliche as it is, I've really come to expect some pretty fucked up mental wiring in creative types anyway.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
But to find that he had indeed been followed and was under surveillance is eye opening. JE Hoover was a POS in my opinion and had his own depravites and used his knowledge of others to control.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, Hoover was not the ideal guy to entrust with that kind of power.
Unfortunately there's really no one that can be trusted with that kind of power.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've read that Hemochromatosis (the "celtic curse") might have been a factor in Hemmingway's suicide and the suicide of 4 other family members. Wikipedia Hemochromatosis

At times in my life I've drank heavy. I've certainly danced on the lip of the abyss. Hemingway was a man, with all the attendant flaws, and one hell of a writer. Just today I read his short story "The Three-Day Blow".
Here is a eulogy he wrote for a friend and which is now on his memorial. Some believe he was actually writing his own eulogy.

“He loved the warm sun of summer and the high mountain meadows, the trails through the timber and the sudden clear blue of the lakes. He loved the hills in the winter when the snow comes. Best of all he loved the fall … the fall with the tawny and grey, the leaves yellow on the cottonwoods, leaves floating on the trout streams and above the hills the high blue windless skies. He loved to shoot, he loved to ride and he loved to fish.”

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
What a great eulogy. It is hard not to talk of Hemingway and not think of his Nick Adams stories. As a Michigander, I have tried to hit some of his favorite place around the state, especially Walloon Lake and the many rivers he fished in the Upper Peninsula. The eulogy brings to mind some of those places.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
What a great eulogy. It is hard not to talk of Hemingway and not think of his Nick Adams stories. As a Michigander, I have tried to hit some of his favorite place around the state, especially Walloon Lake and the many rivers he fished in the Upper Peninsula. The eulogy brings to mind some of those places.
+1
I love the Nick Adams stories, and the Northwoods. The air is crisp, the water is clean, and the summer combination of warm days and cool nights is perfect. I used to live in Chicago, and I made plenty of camping and canoeing trips to Wisconsin and Michigan. I'm more familiar with Wisconsin, but they have the same feel. There will be more Northwoods outdoors trips in the future, for sure. The Boundary Waters in MN is high on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.