Interesting find on one of my old pipes...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Some of you might vaguely recall the fact that I got, via ebay, a Kaywoodie Bulldog carburetor pipe about a year ago.
When I bought it, it was overclocked on the stem, and the carb hole was plugged up badly.
I played around with it a bit here and there, and got both those problems worked out.
I smoked it off and on, and it feel out of my rotation as newer pipes came and went. Still have it, of course, but really don't smoke it often.
A few weeks ago, I ran across a circa late 1940's to 1950's Kaywoodie panel pipe that was somewhat different in regards to the placement of the clover leaf, but it got me into the mode of dating the pipe.
In the doing of all of that, I dated the bulldog. I was a bit surprised, so i did some more research, based upon the stamped numbers and the carb design.
Turns out, I have a 1938 model pipe in about 90% condition.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
That's awesome, really great find, that sounds like it's in museum quality condition! I have a KH that dates to 1928 and another to 1932 as well!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
here she is. The stamp on the side is 12B, which indicates a 1938 Bulldog, and the carb feature was an option from ~1936 on.
img20120331105622.jpg

img20120331105551.jpg

img20120331105542.jpg

img20120331105530.jpg

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Thanks, Uber. It was an impulse buy and a time I knew even less about pipes than I do now. I doubt I spent, total cost to the door, $20.
The stem was overclocked, so it was offset when screwed all the way in. A simple channel locks twist took care of that. The carb hole was plugged up with what amounted to pipe mud, deliberately or not I don't know. It took a bit of careful work with a drill and stainless steel wire to clean that out.
As you can see, minimal cake in it.
It is a good smoker, too. Might need to start bringing her out more often.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sweet! I have a few pipes older than 1950, and it surprises me how good the quality of briar in these old pipes are. I would take an old cheap pipe over a new machine made any day of the week.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Old mag. ads boasted that the carburetor bottom-hole helped these pipes to stay lit. I have a yello-bole carb and I can't say that the design does anything at all. I used to clear out the hole with a numbered drill, but I once just left that hole plugged up and there was no difference. Anybody believe I'm wrong?

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
the idea was more along the lines of cooling the smoke, not helping it stay lit.
And, it does actually cool the smoke down.
The pipe above smokes better with drier tobaccos than wet.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Do you realize how rare it is to see a bulldog this old without any big chips/chunks missing from the middle bowl ring? (they are invariably found at the front nose from being dropped at least once)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's pretty awesome. I got mine on fleabay for $15 and found it to be a near-perfect 1955 model. Smokes great, too, even with the stinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.