Interesting conversation with a stranger!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Story time! :D
Today I was sat in the grey skied outsdoors on a bench near a local library. Puffing away on my Mr.brog No.38 Old boy with some chocolately Mac Baren Old fired dark flake.
Minding my own business, I had a few stares, couple of odler woemn turning up their noses at me.. and one who asked laughingly 'is that real tobbacco you're smoking'.
Unsure as to what to say, I simply said 'yeah..'.
She approached me and went on to explain her 'family' all smoke that *toke a joint gesture* lol. 'waccy baccy' I said.
'Yeah!'
'Well I only smoke the good stuff *produced my handsome tin of Mac Baren* and I have a wife and kids so I wouldn't bother with that crap'
She seemed suprised and happy and went on to promote pipe smoking! 'it's not excessive either is it!'.
We said our goodbyes after a few more words and it still makes me giggle.
She was a pleasant women and it's the first time a person has asked me sucha thing.
Figured I'd share that, I'm sure it'll make some of you laugh.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Made me grin. I've had similar banter with some Canadian tourists,all of whom were OAP's.

What I absolutely love about pipesmoking is that when I go out and lean against a building or set in the park and smoke, people just walk up and start talking to me. Sometimes, they enjoy the aroma. Sometimes I think it just makes me look approachable.
It's cool that you had a good experience. Maybe the pipe will open you up to meeting lots of new folks. Good story.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So far, smoking a pipe in public has only encouraged strangers to ask me for cigarettes. They always leave disappointed.
While they walk away dissapointed, all you can do is smile and puff away happily! :)

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
One guy who was clearly a heavy drug user approached me for a cig' when I was clearly smoking a pipe left with some change I gave him to buy some rolling papers from the shop so he could return for some cherry aromatic. He did not return, despite my best intentions of giving him a few extra quid to buy a sandwich and a bottle of water from a local pastie shop Greggs..
Tbf, he didn't know where the nearest supermarket was and it was only spitting range away.. so he must have been on some powerful 'sweets'. lol

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
One guy who was clearly a heavy drug user approached me for a cig' when I was clearly smoking a pipe left with some change I gave him to buy some rolling papers from the shop so he could return for some cherry aromatic. He did not return, despite my best intentions of giving him a few extra quid to buy a sandwich and a bottle of water from a local pastie shop Greggs..
Tbf, he didn't know where the nearest supermarket was and it was only spitting range away.. so he must have been on some powerful 'sweets'. lol
hahaha, what a nice story!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So far, smoking a pipe in public has only encouraged strangers to ask me for cigarettes.
I've gotten this too, as if smoking a pipe makes me into their personal tobacco shop. I tend to turn down all requests for freebies at this point so it's no big deal. Generally people who are not looking for a freebie just say something nice. I think it surprises them, like an anachronism, to see someone smoking a pipe, but it also seems to bring about some faith in humanity.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I live in Amsterdam, so I get asked fairly often if I'm smoking weed in it :P
And some people simply refuse to believe that I never have :)

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I wonder why someone would think that a guy with a pipe would have cigarettes? I haven't been asked that, but I would have to scowl at such a disgusting request. Hopefully, I won't have to scowl anytime soon. Scowling makes me look fat, ha ha.
I'm not sure they think pipe= "has cigarettes" so much as it makes me seem approachable. I've noticed people who bums cigarettes from strangers will seize upon any excuse to do so. I used to get approached when I was just walking around talking on my cell phone.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I get that "what are you smoking in that pipe?" question all the time. "Fine tobacco" is always my answer. Funny how a pipe has now become drug paraphernalia in the public perception. Maybe I just look like am old hippy. But I probably get as many people open a conversation with "my father or grandfather smoked a pipe. I always loved the smell". As for the bums looking for a butt well they're just prospecting. Most have reduced their cognitive function to about that of plant life. I'm not at all sure there's any thought behind the request, just a hope they might get lucky.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Having lived in major cities, and seen the worst of it, I have what seems like a cynical attitude toward on the street requests. Around here, many beggars live in nice apartments and have cars because they can clear over $100 a day with relatively few hours of work. My thought is that I would rather donate to a charity that helps them than perpetuate whatever condition has them on the street. With cigarettes, I figure I'd rather have them buying their own and supporting the industry, or even better, migrating toward pipes.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Samon: Your story has an interesting point. Unfortunately (or not) many people associate the pipe with pot today. That's actually sad I think because it shows how little they know about it and/or us pipe smokers for that matter.
I had a client, woman in her early 40s, come to my office last month. I had just finished smoking a bowl and my pipe was lying on my desk, along with the tamper and all the rest of the stuff. I swear, she looked at it as it was one of those little bags heroin addicts carry around, you know with the needle, spoon and a rope to tie the arm. I felt quite strange,I admit. She did not say anything, but I could see what she was thinking. However, she came again about a week after that to pay her bill, and the pipe was on the desk again, so...I guess she should be getting used to it by now.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Foolwiththefez: Ha ha, I operate a private employment agency. It is my own office. Being an office for the public though it is actually prohibited to smoke there by law, but hey....it's me who pays the rent :))

Status
Not open for further replies.