Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

Interesting Completed Ebay Auctions - British Pipes

(438 posts)
  1. gripsie

Eddy

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!

That was an interesting auction on ebay UK. Look at that price..

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1904-Orlik-lange-lag-Elf-Pipe-Made-in-London-schoenes-Holz-Silber-Halterung-/302895131559?nma=true&si=Lt8vlz0oydcjv3HSfIVLm1f%252BE%252Fw%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was completely dumb not to recognize that the seller was selling inside UK only.

Is the lucky new owner perhaps member of these forums?

Cheers, Eddy

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I think he's got the date wrong. Looks like 1924, which would be more consistent with the shape. Pretty low price if the chamber walls are good.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. gripsie

Eddy

Login to Send PM

Yes, 1904 was definately wrong, and 1924 is definately right.

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Guilty. You just can't get away with anything these days.

I actually discussed it with the seller in a bit more detail that I had hoped: In the original listing she didn't mention a date and had only a few images up. I made a vague enquiry on the hallmark which was tarnished. She proceeded to clean it up, send me a photo, and asked me the date. Oh no, thought I, do I tell her to look it up, or do I spill? Anyway, a saint as I am, I told her it was a London mark which looked like 1924 and I had no idea what the initials were. She came back to me disagreeing on the date. I wasn't sure so left it at that, and the next time I looked she had updated it with 1904 and put some more images up. I thought it would sail over my budget but put a snipe on and forgot about it. I got a win notification on my phone and groaned over how much I had just spent on a pipe that I didn't even know really was an Orlik, to find I'd just spent £12.

Very interested to see it in the flesh - I do love the military mount princes. And even if it is a burnt out old basket pipe with a stolen ferrule, worth a punt.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. gripsie

Eddy

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, osiris!

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

I think calling it an 'elf pipe' worked to my advantage.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's something you don't come across every day, a cased set of unsmoked Loewe pipes from the early 1920's:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-LOEWE-amp-CO-3-PIPE-CASED-SET-HALLMARKED-1920s-UNSMOKED-/372404511259?hash=item56b509e21b%3Ag%3AGG0AAOSwybpbosqT&nma=true&si=X9i2%252BTagWfuB4lLzVcAUV%252BpJQN0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It went for the lower end of the range I had predicted. The set was not complete. The pipe on the right was a replacement, unsmoked and from the same period. I suppose that had something to do with the final price. Not a bad deal for the buyer.

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

So i dropped $200 and got smoked right away. What a hot old chicc.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GBD-ESTATE-TOBACCO-PIPE-/263962973242?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

My $231 bid lasted 8 seconds. Two guys really wanted that one. It should restore nicely and the seller took returns, so nothing to lose.

Al

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173579251223

Comoys 499, a little rough, but not a surpising final outcome.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNSMOKED-ENGLISH-PIPE-1930S-COMOYS-SHAPE-43-WITH-BOX-/173578909682?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

That one went higher than I had expected, but I guess that I'd never seen an unsmoked (sellers assertion) 30's era Comoy's. I've seen "Supreme Grain" before, but not "Supreme".

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Al,

The Comoy Supreme dates back at least to 1935; I’ll try to dig deeper when I’m back in town. It disappeared at some point after the war. The pricing was mid level. In 1938, for example, the Supreme was $6 compared to the Grand Slam at $5, the Royal at $7.50, and the Straight Grain at $12.

The Supreme Grain was introduced later. In 1961 it was more of a lower level product, priced at $5 as compared to the Comoy Sandblast at $10.95, the Tradition at $15, the Blue Riband at $25, and the Straight Grain at $35. The Supreme Grain came in a walnut finish and was described as “one of our best values at this price.”

Jon

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks way too much like some anatomical jewelry.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

There is always more than one way to look at something, in this case two !

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

And this 1989 unsmoked Barlings is amazing (John Fabris estate)!

1889, and I think John's still very much alive.

It is a very beautiful example. French turned and finished in London.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I tried to find some info on John Fabris, but found only a few references (turns out, there are a lot of John Fabris' in the US!), what is his back-story?

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

I tried to find some info on John Fabris, but found only a few references (turns out, there are a lot of John Fabris' in the US!), what is his back-story?

Al, P&T Magazine did a spread on him a few years back, I wish I could remember what issue. I met John at past Chicago Shows and he has an amazing collection of historic pipes, mostly the old English brands, that was usually what he brought to sell. All of them restored to as close as new condition as possible. He does amazing restorative work. This is all illustrated in the P&T article.

I do hope he is still among us as I have not seen him in Chicago for a few years now.

Lou

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This one was has quite the nomenclature, I thought it had a shot of going higher. I haven't seen a Blue Riband/Straight Grain stamp in quite a long time. On the few 498's that get sold on Ebay, they are almost all Extraordinaire's. This is the first BR/SG I've ever seen in that shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-ENGLISH-PIPE-1930S-COMOYS-BLUE-RIBAND-STRAIGHT-GRAIN-BLUE-C-STEM-/173622065987?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about this for a listing...

ANTIQUE ITALIAN CARVED WOOD SHERLOCK HOLMS MEERSCHAUM SMOKING PIPE HANDMADE

MADE IN ITALY

GENUINE BRIAR

MARKED

for ONLY $195.00...

"the weez"...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

23. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Pretty good deals all the way around! That 120 looks great! The Barling is interesting. Wartime production that can be defined as such is pretty rare. The TVF stamp was also a rarity before the end of the war, but there it is on this pipe. The box is from the late 1960's or later, not original to the pipe. Condition of the pipe is fair, not great, and that's one reason I decided not to bid on it. I'll content myself with the pictures and add those to the archive.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, here is my question on the Barling's, original stem? The cut looks atypical to other later Barling's military mount stems, if you know what I mean; a taper that flares outward from the mortise, and then "returns" and tapers to the button.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 5 months ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

OK, here is my question on the Barling's, original stem? The cut looks atypical to other later Barling's military mount stems, if you know what I mean; a taper that flares outward from the mortise, and then "returns" and tapers to the button.

It's not original. I thought that the seller mentioned that in his listing, so I didn't mention it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That particular collector has multiple pipes listed by ebay seller skeletonkey, he had pretty good taste!

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-BARLING-STRAIGHT-GRAIN-PRE-TRANSITION/362468937852

Two bidders put some big bids in early on this one and they held.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If this is what Al's post refers to, it seems the auction is open now

Oh, my, between the heavy saturation and excess sharpening, my eyeballs ache!

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If this is what Al's post refers to, it seems the auction is open now

No, it's this one. eBay, in it's infinite stupidity, will direct you to another "related" auction that is still going on, rather than to the auction that you want. You have to click on the button directing you to your intended destination.

The pipe sold for $910.00

The "winner" definitely wanted this pipe since he placed a very high maximum bid and let the other bidder run it up. The bidding was at about $350 when the "winner" initially placed his bid. It is one of the nicer Barling Straight Grains that I seen. Pipes like this usually get about $550 to $650.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse, I was looking at the Barling straight grain. Some of the other pics in the auction showed it better, but it looks to me (actually, pruss on the forum pointed it out to me) that the stem was heavily buffed in a botched fashion and and had rounded corners on the stem. I didn't bid, but I never would have bid that high in any event. Someone made out like a bandit.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Someone made out like a bandit.

Yeah, the seller!

The heart wants what the heart wants, and when you have a couple of determined bidders, that's all it takes to send something into the stratosphere. The stem isn't so buffed that the stem logo has disappeared, it's just lost its white fill. But there is a touch of rounding at the stem/shank and a bit of overall softening due to the inept buffing. It's still got very good grain for a Barling straight grain, since these can be quite variable.

The buyer should be happy since he was willing to put in a maximum bid far in excess of the general market. His stratagem was successful.

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If anyone else wants to drop nine hundred bucks on a Barling straight grain raise their hands now. Just saying...

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If anyone else wants to drop nine hundred bucks on a Barling straight grain raise their hands now. Just saying...

The Bulldog made me take a look in the vault, I've got a similiar pipe, a Straight Grain, looks EL in size. I'll have to post some pics later (camera battery needed re-charging)...

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because I promised pictures,

Sort of begs the question, was the ebay pipe re-stained? As you can see this pipe is in unrestored condition, the stem, and button are perfect.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Beautiful! I have a real soft spot for old bulldogs and seeing these two may prove punishing on the wallet (not $900 punishing mind). I'm the antithesis of a Barling expert, but the dark walnut does seem unusual but if it was restained, it looks like it was done well. The ebay pipe looks a little thin around the button where chatter was removed; yours, as you say, looks perfect and will be stunning once cleaned-up.

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, boy! That's a beauty! I'd love to see a photo of the pipe after a very light rubbing with tiny bit of mineral oil on the stem.

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sort of begs the question, was the ebay pipe re-stained?

I wondered about that as well. But it's hard to know, certainly hard to know from photographs. Most of the straight grains that I've seen are a light, "natural" stain.

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

39. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Stem upside down, too!

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yep, that's pretty common, looked like an easy restore.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone got a great deal here!.......... 44 patent Dunhill Shells, all 1945 and earlier..........
    Works out to $73 each.............. Some of the stems have been over-buffed a bit, but still a nice lot..... Just look at the cragginess!...........
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-shell-pipes-all-PATENT-1917-45-LOT-of-44-/254009325799?hash=item3b2422b8e7%3Ag%3AyCgAAOSwgbdcBEGj&nma=true&si=8lH6T5brBIE2bWvB4xTbak4DrtY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 4 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Fancy having to say goodbye to that lot in one go.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ I think the seller could have doubled or even tripled his money if he would have listed them at auction.........

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Agree - or at least broken them down into bite-sized chunks. But, if you need the money, you don't have much choice. Sad though (blinding buy, all the same).

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I wonder what the back story was on that group.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ I'd love to know, Al. You don't often see that many patents in one group for sale......... What a collection.

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Quite possible that wasn't the full collection and just got rid of the junk. They are stunning - I keep going back to look at them. It doesn't look like they came off the rack too often.

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Not sure where I should put this, if at all, but unless I'm very much mistaken there is a fake Dunhill kicking around ebay at the moment. I won't post the link but it is a shell patent (with a smooth finish).

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

osiris, if it's the one I'm thinking it keeps getting kicked around eBay. It disappears for while then resurfaces.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

I expect it is - the photos seem very familiar. I'm not a Dunhill person so I rarely look for them, but I'm sure I've seen it before.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

osiris01 - links are welcome here. Typically we don't post active links,but in this case,it doesn't sound like something any of us are buying!

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Here it is: Patent Shell

I did sent him an email and I think it was/is an honest mistake since he didn't know what a sandblast was. That said, he hasn't taken it down yet. Anyway, on the off-chance that he is of a litigious bent (or I'm wrong of course; perhaps Dunhill simply 'forgot' to blast it), I shall say that it has an unusual set of stamps.

But on a more general note, you would have thought that if you go to the trouble and expense of getting the die made etc., you stick it on the right pipe. Some counterfeiters have no sense of pride in their work.

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every counterfeit I’ve ever seen has the same stamp, all on smooth finishes. That one sets of alarms all over the place, and is definitely as fake as the others I’ve seen sharing that stamp. eBay has never taken one down that I’ve ever reported on. A good lesson on being an informed buyer!

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 4 months ago #
  54. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree about it being FfffffFake!!! But, it's not the same fake I saw over and over on the Bay.

Here's my theory. An industrious pipe shop employee had the temerity to have the stamp made and then applied said stamp to random smooth basket pipes. That subhuman then took the money and disappeared into the mists.

Now we're left with estate pipes after the suckers victims passed away. Go eBay!!

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yep, that must be the 5th or 6th of these fakes that's shown up. All with the same stampings. As fakes go, it's a really bad one.

eBay is loathe to interfere with any auctions. It took repeated reports from me and others to temporarily shut down that Chinese fraud last year, who was selling $600 pipes for $15. He's back, by the way.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This ones a bit of a puzzler. It looks like one of the carved Comoy's Extraordinaire's on John Lorings website. John only shows one side of the pipe and no nomenclature. This ebay pipe has a band, but it's not a Comoys band. The stem looks like it might have just been stuck on,and shows signs that it wasn't original. The stem on the Loring pipe fits a lot better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rare-Comoy-039-s-Extraordinnaire-Specimen-1930-039-s-Pipe-Wow-/202572133671?nma=true&si=wi9zET0dTW2skNGa4QaUjw%252BDNjk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Loring Pipe

Posted 3 months ago #
  57. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is one I missed today, I really wanted this pipe. I do not know if it is old or uncommon but I have a feeling it is both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BBB-England-Estate-Pipe/173753643059

All briar BBB

Don

Posted 3 months ago #
  58. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

59. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Snag, that's crazy talk!!

Posted 3 months ago #
  60. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Snag,
    I was stalking that listing for a week and I am the one who alerted the seller that one of the pipes had a cracked shank. I hope the buyer knew what they were getting, I would not have jumped into that pool.

Don

Posted 3 months ago #
  61. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whoa! I am guessing the collector needed one of those to round out a collection.

Anyone know what the white spots are?

Posted 3 months ago #
  62. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looked like paint to me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  63. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Merchant Service pipes don't show up that often, but until a few years ago, nobody cared. They went for a fraction of what they're getting now. That does look like paint. When two collectors are determined, the seller benefits.

Posted 3 months ago #
  64. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, it looks like paint, but could it not be fills which have lost their stain?

Posted 3 months ago #
  65. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did not see any fills on those 2, but that is about the only thing that was not jacked up on them! ☺

Posted 3 months ago #
  66. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is a good one, some love for Loewe...
    Loewe Cased

Don

Posted 3 months ago #
  67. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are some gorgeous pipes going off this weekend from the John Fabris Collection.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372530467497

Posted 3 months ago #
  68. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We posted at the same time

Posted 3 months ago #
  69. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice piece, way out of my price range.

Posted 3 months ago #
  70. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This exquisite Barling from 1883 sold for $2027.99 Considering both rarity and condition, not a bad price.

Posted 3 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mortonbriar, tobefrank, philobeddoe