Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

Interesting Completed Ebay Auctions - British Pipes

(461 posts)
  1. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a cased pair of 1919-1920 (at least that's what the seller says) Dunhill Bruyere billiards with amber stems listed yesterday and the bid was over $600 today, then the auction was pulled. I wonder what kind of an offer he got to pull it. Anyone have any idea what they're worth?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They got pulled? I was an active bidder on them. Hmmmm.

I just looked. They are still available.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weird, maybe it was a glitch. I kept getting "auction has been removed". Now I see it available again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. brendhain

brendhain

Login to Send PM

I have seen a great deal of "auction removed", too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's an interesting set. You don't see these amber stem sets very often. Could fall outside that range on either side. Could go for between $1500 and $2000. It depends on who's bidding. The case is very interesting, with vents on either side to let the pipes air out when not in use.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I saw those too.. lovely condition though I don't care for the Bruyere finish. I was surprised to read their size.. pictures can be very deceptive.

I still don't understand why people bid items up so high with 5 days yet remaining.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. brendhain

brendhain

Login to Send PM

Bidding tactics are always a bit odd.

When it gets bid up early then it is often someone trying to feel out how high the earlier bidder went.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That cased set just sold for a hair over $3,000, so I doubt any early bidding affected that sale. It was at $600 and change with a short while to go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

10. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know if it was totally whacked, looks like 2 guys with nuke bids in their snipe programs. Happens. Feedback #'s say neither are newbies.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both stems are badly cut, and the stummels are nothing special. Doesn't look like the sort of thing Alfred would have looked back on proudly a few years later.

Historically significant to some small extent---I doubt many such pairs were made in the company's early years---but otherwise meh.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn't look like the sort of thing Alfred would have looked back on proudly a few years later.

Agreed.......... I WANT to like them, but there's something odd about them. They are both shape 26, but look how wildly different(shape-wise) they are from another.......... I like the color contrast on them though.......quite stark contrasts. A cool set indeed, but not 3k cool..........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Holy majoly! I had predicted something like $1200, which is where it was before the two stratosnipers dived in at the end in an act of mutually assured destruction. Guess it was worth that to them, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it back on eBay in a week or so.

I thought the set was interesting because of the case and the amber stems, but I found nothing particularly desirable about the pipes. Undistinguished wood and badly shaped stems.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What about the ivory dots in the tenons?

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's another auction that resulted in a pretty substantial price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLING-039-S-MAKE-EBWB-SILVER-SPIGOT-CASED-PIPE-/372235735974?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=X9i2%252BTagWfuB4lLzVcAUV%252BpJQN0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Condition is excellent. I was thinking it might go for @ $700 as spigots get more money.

The bid history is a little strange.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^ So what will the maiden smoke be, Jesse? Nice score!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

So what will the maiden smoke be, Jesse? Nice score!

I wish. I think my days of acquisition are behind me. But prices like this make me look fondly at my collection.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Re: the bid history on the Barling spigot, now THAT is a whacked bid history!

The guy that bid $1219 has a history of retracting bids, no history of bidding on pipes. If he retracted his bid, surely the buyer doesn't have to pay over that bid?

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This was advertised as a 1904 Comoy's. I'd love to see the button shape, but it wasn't shown. Is there anything about this one that says 1904?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTOR-AUCTION-1904-COMOYS-LONDON-MADE-WITHOUT-LOGO-WITH-CASE-IN-BEST-CONDI/132531645348?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, it says it on the internet so it has to be the truth. It got a lot of bids so maybe someone knew it was legit?

This auction was interesting as it was a nice set of pipes.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-BRUYERE-MATCHED-GRAIN-PIPE-SET-LACQUERED-INLAID-CASE-UNSMOKED-1995/382397299087?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This was advertised as a 1904 Comoy's. I'd love to see the button shape, but it wasn't shown. Is there anything about this one that says 1904?

No.

From Derek Green,

"Comoy’s Name

1900 to about 1919. Normally, the Comoy’s name will be found in a joined flowing script canted forward, with a long tail running backwards from under the “S” to below the “C.” There are, however, 2 pipes in the 1909 catalogue where Comoy’s does not have a tail at all. I also have examples between 1913 to 1919 where the Comoy’s name is still in the same joined flowing script, canted forward but with a short tail running forwards from the bottom of the “Y” to under the “S.”

From about 1917 to the end of the 1930s, the slightly fancy “Comoy’s” can be found stamped in a curve, in upper case script with serifs, apostrophe before the “S,” and the “C” larger than the other letters."

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And that Comoys sold for $405.
    Pretty case anyway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's another auction that resulted in a pretty substantial price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLING-039-S-MAKE-EBWB-SILVER-SPIGOT-CASED-PIPE-/372235735974?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=X9i2%252BTagWfuB4lLzVcAUV%252BpJQN0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I mostly have a reflexive revulsion to Barling spigots at this point. Perhaps that theft will save me in the long run.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm no expert on Comoy pipes, but there are elements that scream early, and elements that suggest not as early as 1904. The shaping of the bowl and the type of lettering used for the case suggest early. The arched Comoy shank logo suggests probably later than 1904. It just so happens that I have a complete copy of Comoy's 1909 catalog, one of 4 Comoy catalogs that I received, spanning from 1909 to 1978. The shank logo all but two pipes in the 1909 catalog uses a swash "s" with the swash flowing below the rest of the letters, stopping under the first "o" in Comoy's. The curved shank logo we see on this pipe was used later, as early as 1917 and possibly as late as just after WW2, according to the dating guide on Pipedia. Without a hallmark there's no way to affix a year to the pipe but based on the nomenclature and the lack of a "C" on the shank, the pipe probably dates to somewhere between 1917 and the early 1920's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like the guesswork around Comoy's dating is beginning to be more educated guesswork.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mostly have a reflexive revulsion to Barling spigots at this point. Perhaps that theft will save me in the long run.

Could it have been the four way overexposed photos of that spigot?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Treasurepipe guy's got nothing on me... here's a pic of my latest 1931 LC:

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks a little bit over done, but you can fix it in post!

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Without a hallmark there's no way to affix a year to the pipe but based on the nomenclature and the lack of a "C" on the shank, the pipe probably dates to somewhere between 1917 and the early 1920's.

Jesse, this sounds more likely. The oldest Comoy's I have is a Prima, hallmarked to 1913. Script Comoy's mark, no C on the stem.

The description in the listing is a cut and paste job.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I thought that was wishful thinking on the sellers part for the cased Comoy's...

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I thought that was wishful thinking on the sellers part for the cased Comoy's...

Whenever someone gives a precise year for an unhallmarked pipe, with no other ephemera that directly support a precise dating, you can bet that he's blowing smoke.

BTW, the lack of sterling bling on a cased pipe also argues for a later dating. Bling was everywhere at the top end prior to WW1. Later, it became less the fashion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was watching this new Upshall to see what it might go off at. It is a pretty pipe and I have not seen many E grades. I didn't predict it would go this high.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAMES-UPSHALL-E-STRAIGHT-GRAIN-PIPE-UNSMOKED/372248217547?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$760....

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Out of my reach, but if I could still afford to play in that park I would have paid it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For anyone interested, here's the item mentioned in the o.p. Nice and historical, but not $3,000 nice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's a rare item.

One of Dunhill's earliest DRs, in excellent condition.

$1823

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-DR-BRUYERE-DUKE-ST-PATENT-1913-1918-/372253004624?hash=item56ac021350

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That's a beautiful pipe! There's another interesting set up for auction, a cased pair of Dunhill churchawrdens.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Way cool!

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does the dot on that DR seem, well... big for the era? Not to imply anything wrong with it, but the dot on my 1918, '20, two '23's, and '24 all appear much smaller. The stem does have an intact registration number, so it does fit the era.

doc

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Does the dot on that DR seem, well... big for the era?

Yes it does. Maybe it's a replacement dot. Sometimes they fall out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does the dot on that DR seem, well... big for the era?

It's just a small pipe. Only 5.25" and less than an ounce. A Group 2, basically.

(Unless the buyer noticed the specs and can visualize what they translate into in hand, he'll be a bit surprised, I think)

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does the dot on that DR seem, well... big for the era? Not to imply anything wrong with it, but the dot on my 1918, '20, two '23's, and '24 all appear much smaller. The stem does have an intact registration number, so it does fit the era.

Interesting question Bob. From John Loring,

http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/Notes%20on%20Early%20Dunhills.htm

Note Loring's caution, "When using this chart it is important to remember that underside bit stamps are easily buffed off and bits may be replaced."

It would seem if the pipe was all original, it would be closer to the 1918 end of the dating range given in the listing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Once again, the scale of the dot on a midget Dunhill, confounds us.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sable, don't you mean "horizontally challenged"?

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's one that you don't see every day, an unsmoked Barling complete with its original box and sock. The final price is equally impressive, especially given that it's an "L" size, which is a smaller size. This is another instance of two last second snipers colliding in the financial stratosphere, a "strategy" guaranteed to reward the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLING-039-S-MAKE-Y-O-W-179-UNSMOKED-PRE-TRANS-STRAIGHT-APPLE-W-BOX-amp-SLEEVE-WOW-/202288882344?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=X9i2%252BTagWfuB4lLzVcAUV%252BpJQN0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woof!

Id love to own an old Barling briar but I dont see enough s-m and L sizes.

That Duhill with the arched logo sold for $500.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here's a few I've been watching.

$242 for a GBD 9242 New Standard, in need of restoration.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GBD-9242-New-Standard-Pipe/152969590138?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Rodrigo sold a Virgin 9242, restored for only slightly more. I think his Sunday afternoon auction end times work against him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GBD-VIRGIN-SHAPE-9242-PIPE-CHUBBY-AUTHOR/372275721496?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I thought this one might have gone for more, but perhaps it was the awful photography and incorrect listing (well, the 4 in 499 is apparently not visible)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMOYS-EXTRAORDINAIRE-99-PIPE-CHUBBY-AUTHOR/372275723097?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Rodrigo's listings are really getting bad. The shots aren't what they used to be. He now can't be bothered to offer any sort of description or information. He's a nice enough guy and will take a return if there's an issue, but he just doesn't seem to be making an effort any more. I just picked up another pipe by Paul Tatum, a bit oddball in shape, but that's what you get with Tatum. The blast could be spectacular, but the poor photography kills it and I picked it up for peanuts. He's still getting prime pipes and fairly good prices, but I don't predict longevity.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To your point Jesse - Ive won one auction of his. A Poul Winslow C Billiard with silver band. Had 1 small scorch on the rim but that was visible in the pictures. What the high contrast pictures hid well was the scratches on the stem and the tarnish on the silver. Im certainly not complaining because I got the pipe for about a 65% discount on what it would have been retail.
    The scratches arent a big deal but I feel like most people would want to be made aware before bidding. The silver tarnish was easily polished out with minimum effort.
    If Im going to sell a pipe I like to clean it and give it a tuneup to the best of my ability.. its a matter of pride as much as economy.

He always has very nice pipes and it seems his sales arent affected too much yet, but I think twice before getting serious about any of his offerings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's another interesting auction that just ended. I will admit I'm a bit gobsmacked at the final price of $730 for this item. Looking at the bid history reveals what happened. With 3 seconds to go, two bidders with a lot more money than brains sniped, colliding in the stratosphere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLING-S-EB-WB-PIPE-SILVER-MOUNTED-HORN-amp-AMBER-STEM-CASED-PIPE-1923-/302693912278?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=X9i2%252BTagWfuB4lLzVcAUV%252BpJQN0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The pipe's been ineptly topped. The stems are a badly done patch job. The second photograph shows how badly mismatched the amber is to the horn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn! Maybe I should put the Salmon & Gluckstein silver banded pipe I'm restoring up for auction. From what I understand from the stamping on the silver band it was made around the 1900s.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

53. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I missed this one by a few seconds............
    It popped up while I was on ebay, and as I was looking at the pictures (for about 30 seconds) I hit the "buy" button, but alas......... too late! The "Fabrication Anglaise" was only used until WW2. Oh well, easy come-easy go..........

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-039-s-Dunhill-475-Smoking-Pipe-Shell-Briar-Fabrication-Anglaise-Smoked-Pipe-/153012514599?hash=item23a041af27%3Ag%3AMkYAAOSwav9a738p&nma=true&si=r%252FM%252FLyYxQL%252FW0Sh51QoEDPlSU%252Bw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edit: This one looks to me to be a very early one.........

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yikes, some deals this weekend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and as I was looking at the pictures (for about 30 seconds)

I'm surprised at you Beef...you should know by now 25 seconds is the maximum allotted time for picture gazing.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  56. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A nearly 100 year old BBB.. fine.
    Just be mindful of reflections in the silver.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just be mindful of reflections in the silver.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This one just ended for a 1940's era Family Era Barling Pot. To be honest, I'm at a complete loss to understand the final price of $1025.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-BARLING-273-EXEXEL-PRE-TRANSITION-/372297901240?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=X9i2%252BTagWfuB4lLzVcAUV%252BpJQN0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

One of the bidders I've seen before. He way overpays on the auctions I've tracked and buys all kinds of stuff. So I imagine he's either a trust fund baby, or a mental case. The other bidder? Maybe it's ego in a bidding duel.

It's a nice enough pot and it's in really excellent clean condition. But I have two of these, one unsmoked, in the EXEL size, and I paid $225 for the unsmoked piece. $450 to $500 would be more in line, given condition.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whoa, that seems very richly priced....

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

This one caught my eye, not sure if it is British, maybe someone can give some info on the brand. Couldn't find much in my 30 minutes of searching.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Antique-Meerschaum-Lion-Head-Pipe-9Ct-Gold-ferrel-1908/382459317956?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&redirect=mobile

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

One thing I can tell you is that it isn't Dunhill. The Dunhill maker's mark is AD inside a diamond. This makers' mark is one that I couldn't find after looking through several sites. Also, Dunhill had a London hallmark, not Birmingham. So if the buyer thought he was buying a Dunhill, he was very much mistaken.

More than likely the mark belongs to a mounter, who provided the band and the stem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This Barling brought in a good payday for its owner, $560:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barling-1910-Bulldog-with-Alligator-Case-FREE-Shipping-/202336859777?var=null&nma=true&si=rEfug3rOEkEIyicfVp1YAiMfmjE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Condition is good, though not great. There is considerable tapping damage to the rim and the tenon has become stuck in the mortise with the result that the glue attaching it to the amber stem has failed and the tenon can be unscrewed from the stem. On the other hand, the amber stem appears to be clean and intact, with no damage. The alligator case looks like it's been stained with ink and it has suffered a broken hinge.

The price does feel high for this pipe, but clearly several people really wanted it and were willing to pay top dollar to get it.

Bidding was spirited, with the price more than doubling in the final hour.

I own a similar pipe, from 1913, uncased, with a "Ye Olde Wood" stamp, the earliest such stamp I've seen. As I recall, I paid about $110 for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some people on fleabay have not only more $$ than cents, they can't control themselves if they think somebody else might think the same way they do. Big-time happy happy joy joy for the seller, fosho.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. rdpowell

rdpowell

Login to Send PM

This Barling brought in a good payday for its owner, $560:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barling-1910-Bulldog-with-Alligator-Case-FREE-Shipping-/202336859777?var=null&nma=true&si=rEfug3rOEkEIyicfVp1YAiMfmjE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Condition is good, though not great. There is considerable tapping damage to the rim and the tenon has become stuck in the mortise with the result that the glue attaching it to the amber stem has failed and the tenon can be unscrewed from the stem.

Jesse, I'm the seller of the pipe in question. I'm unsure how you came up with the idea that the tenon is stuck in the mortise but, I can assure you it's not sir. If you take a look at the photo's again I'm sure you'll see you must have gotten it mixed up with another pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Jesse, I'm the seller of the pipe in question. I'm unsure how you came up with the idea that the tenon is stuck in the mortise but, I can assure you it's not sir. If you take a look at the photo's again I'm sure you'll see you must have gotten it mixed up with another pipe.

Looking at that picture, that's exactly what a stuck tenon looks like. I've extracted more than a few of them. By 1910, Barling was using a combination of a vulcanite friction tenon attached to an amber stem by means of a threaded connector, which looks like what what I'm seeing in this picture. RonnieB told me how to get them out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. rdpowell

rdpowell

Login to Send PM

You realize there's only about a 1/16 of an inch between that circle on the mortise end and the sides of the shank?
    That's cutting it a bit close for my tastes and I would never attempt to drill a mortise that close to the sides of the shank. That's just asking for a cracked shank. And by the looks of the circular wear on the face of the stem I'd say it's always been that way. Maybe you can show me one that is still attached?

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get where Jesse's coming from, but since I'm seeing it on my Droid I reverse-pinched, & those are definitely screw threads inside the shank. I hate having to have to disagree with the Bard, but I think he's off on this one. Sorry, Jesse!

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You realize there's only about a 1/16 of an inch between that circle on the mortise end and the sides of the shank?
    That's cutting it a bit close for my tastes and I would never attempt to drill a mortise that close to the sides of the shank. That's just asking for a cracked shank. And by the looks of the circular wear on the face of the stem I'd say it's always been that way. Maybe you can show me one that is still attached?

Absolutely! But that will have to wait until I get back home on Tuesday. I have one from 1912, and it's one that I had to free up and remove the stuck tenon from the mortise. I don't remember if I re-glued that tenon or not, but if not, I'll unscrew it and give you pix of it on and off. It's not all that uncommon an occurrence. As for the thinness of the shank walls, I've got a couple of pipes from the 1920's with damned near tissue thin walls, and they're perfectly sound. I may throw in a picture or two of those. One is a Kaywoodie and the other is a Comoy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I get where Jesse's coming from, but since I'm seeing it on my Droid I reverse-pinched, & those are definitely screw threads inside the shank. I hate having to have to disagree with the Bard, but I think he's off on this one. Sorry, Jesse!

Yes, those threads you see are inside the tenon stuck inside the shank. That's what that circular shape is inside the shank. Those threads connect the tenon to the threaded connector attached to the stem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm happy to defer to you -- you've got far more experience in these matters than I do. I'll let y'all experts haggle it out t. I freely admit I looked at it from a layman's perspective only.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   yuda, brooklynpiper, krizzose, trouttimes, dontbeaburleyman, alaskanpiper, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob, metzmo, dmcmtk