Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

Interesting Completed Ebay Auctions - British Pipes

(438 posts)
  1. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

That's an elegant take on the "swan's neck".

Can’t agree more, that’s a really elegant swan. I enjoyed watching it as well even though i’m not a big fan to the length of a swan’s neck. I’m personally more into or chubby bent, or churchwarden.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some French company supplied that swan neck stummel to a number of makers.

Here's what Barclay-Rex and Bill Taylor (Ashton) made of it:

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It was Genod that produced the swan's neck which so fascinated Alfred Dunhill.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

George, did I send you those photos of my pipes?
    Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Al, that large bent GBD is the same shape/size as the Virgin I won a couple months ago on ebay. Unfortunately I was bidder #2 on this pipe. I bid a foolish amount, thinking no one would pay close to $300 for a GBD, but there is someone out there who wanted it more than I did. I am convinced those bowls were cut in France and then sent to England for finishing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George, did I send you those photos of my pipes?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

The Barclay-Rex is a finished pic of a salvageable stemless stummel someone sent to me to revive, and the Ashton + 2 Dunhills pic is from a Gogglesearch. It was found "in the wild," in other words. I didn't know any of them were yours.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Al, that large bent GBD is the same shape/size as the Virgin I won a couple months ago on ebay. Unfortunately I was bidder #2 on this pipe. I bid a foolish amount, thinking no one would pay close to $300 for a GBD, but there is someone out there who wanted it more than I did. I am convinced those bowls were cut in France and then sent to England for finishing.

I agree. GBD did turn a lot of their bowls in their French facility.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

George, the photo of the Ashton ELX and the two Dunhill 120 is mine. I don't ever remember posting it anywhere. That's why I asked if I had sent the photo to you.
    Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

Mike, I pm'd you today, check your messages and get back to me when you can.
    Thank you,

Lou

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Lou, I never got a PM from you.
    Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

12. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

13. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was in on the Dunhill gourd. When it hit $500 I was out. Pockets not that deep. LOL!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That DRR is an impressive specimen! Dunhill clearly thought too, since they placed a rectangular stamp next to the Dunhill logo stamp. That stamp indicates a higher grade than the grading nomenclature allowed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

How does Gary keep finding all of these rare pieces?

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah I watched that DR for shits and giggles.
    With about an hour left on the auction I thought it would finish around $1400.. I wonder how it smokes.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

How does Gary keep finding all of these rare pieces?

They probably find him, though he's aggressive about searching eBay and contacting sellers. Pipe shows can be a great source as well for online dealers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

19. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

What about this DR and why? It didn't hit $400 even though it could be well-restored later as a "mint" one by some skillful hands, as i've seen so many.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/PIPE-DUNHILL-DR-2-STAR-DRB-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-34-UNDERLINED-UNIQUE-SHAPE-/332518925951?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=Te0rRPzKL60edKcVzOKdegu%252FfPM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

What about this DR and why? It didn't hit $400 even though it could be well-restored later as a "mint" one by some skillful hands, as i've seen so many.

I'd say someone got a good deal here...

With both of these, the poor results reflect the poor quality of the presentation, starting with wretchedly incompetent photography. I know, "wretchedly incompetent" is being really generous. But I'm in a generous mood.

Coupled with the horrid photography, the Dunhill is hampered with mediocre graining and poor carving. Putting a DR ** is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still just a lipsticked pig.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With both of these, the poor results reflect the poor quality of the presentation, starting with wretchedly incompetent photography.

Yes, but it worked out ok for me!

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Wow, interesting grab Dave. I'll look forward to seeing it restored.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was keeping track of this pipe as there was a lot of action early. Turned out a lot of people seemed to want it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PATENT-ERA-1948-Dunhill-BRUYERE-CLASSIC-BILLIARD-ENGLISH-Estate-Pipe-SUPER-CLEAN/401481790805?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yep, spirited bidding on that one, though I don't really know why. The graining isn't anything special, the condition is very good, but not mint. The stem looks a little thick where it meets the button, and that dot looks large.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe only weighed 18 grams and the walls are thin. Is there any way that pipe isn't a hot smoker? Do people just buy them for the year and don't care how the pipe might smoke?

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a Group 1. Quite scarce. (The thick-looking stem and oversize-looking dot are because the stummel is tiny. Notice how the stamping also looks too big and barely fits the shank.)

PS --- My apologies for not being able to convince Chance to up his photo game as promised. He sat at the same computer I'm using now several months ago and I walked him through the what & how of it, also camera usage and lighting, but to no avail.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Ahh, I missed that it was a group 1. That makes perfect sense. Boy! Quite a price for a tiny pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A group 1 is valuable? I would think it would be a detractor because it is so small.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Group 1 pipes are rare. If condition is very good they would be desirable to a serious Dunhill collector, or a Dunhill collector who prefers smaller bowls.

It's not the size or the girth, Harris, so you needn't worry about it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse, yeah ok, lol. There is no way that pipe won't smoke hotter than the sun. I bet it never gets smoked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. danish

danish

Login to Send PM

This tiny Dunhill is a pipe I would love to own and smoke. 1948! and apparently super condition. Fun! As a selfchosen outdoorsmoker I normally smoke ' less than a bowl' and in my experience, not all tobaccos benefit from bigger bowls or thicker walls, with regard to coolness and taste. Never 'burned through' a pipe bowl for 30 years. Congrats to the topbidder!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse, yeah ok, lol. There is no way that pipe won't smoke hotter than the sun.

Possible way.

This pipe is also Grp 1 sized, and smokes as cool as a cucumber:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/gbd-cutty-from-the-1880s

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My apologies for not being able to convince Chance to up his photo game as promised. He sat at the same computer I'm using now several months ago and I walked him through the what & how of it, also camera usage and lighting, but to no avail.

Boy, I'd sure love a lesson sometime. I'd like to photograph the collection but my pictures never turn out very well. The KC contest spread in P&T looks great.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boy, I'd sure love a lesson sometime. I'd like to photograph the collection but my pictures never turn out very well.

No problem. You travel a lot for work, right? Let me know if you're ever in or near KC, and we'll git 'er done.

In fact, the St. Louis show is coming up. Take an extra day, go a few hours east on your way home, and we can do some shop stuff on top of the photomatogramaphy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was watching this auction just for shits and giggles and it skyrocketed 3 grand in the last second or so. The listing was interesting as I had never heard of that grade Dunhill. How does that seller get so many seemingly high quality British pipes?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-DR-G-ROOT-1982-UNSMOKED/362216490884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An unsmoked "high letter" DR that actually IS a decent straight grain is many a Dunhill Collectors' holy grail. Chinese or Russian plutocrat money does the rest.

As for how Gary scores such nice collections from time to time, it's all the legwork that goes into building a reseller network in its first ten years or so. (Barry Levin was one of my closest friends back in the day, and I saw what went into it. Not for the lazy: 10-12 hr days, 7 days a week, and that DIDN'T include the clean up work---he outsourced that)

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George, do you know Gary well? I have shied away from his pipes as someone told me he had issues with him.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George, do you know Gary well? I have shied away from his pipes as someone told me he had issues with him.

I do not know him well. We met a handful of times at Chicago some years back and he seemed like a decent sort. There was indeed an "online incident" regarding one of his older pieces in the summer of 2015 that left a lot of collectors unhappy. I pressed him via email to explain his side of the situation and was stiff-armed, though. I haven't spoken to him since.

His son Max Capps (different last name, but biological son) makes up the other half of Gary's eBay business. He does cleanups & etc. Though he "presents" as a laid back Skater Kid , Max is surprisingly grounded, bright, intent, and likable when you talk to him. Wholly committed to the PipeWorld from what I've seen.

As for avoiding Secondhand Smokes, I don't know how much blow-back Gary experienced from the aforementioned incident, or how he took it if he did. Maybe lessons learned, maybe not, I have no idea.

That said, 99% of the time the "forthcoming" issue only matters when a pipe is unusually rare and/or valuable. Unless what you're looking at falls into that category, how much restoration/repair work has been done isn't nearly as important as whether the work is detectable or not.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Gary and his son are members of the Philly club. I've met both on the occasions where I'm able to attend those meetings. In person, both are very gracious and appear genuine. Max is a little more outgoing than Gary. He's friends with Mark Irwin and they are co-authoring the upcoming book on Peterson pipes. I know Mark very well and if he's associated with Gary in a project of that stature (and with Peterson's blessing), that gives him high marks in my book.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-DR-OVERSIZED-BENT-BULLDOG-STRAIGHT-GRAIN-PIPE-UNDER-GRADED-/382358534740?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=eRjkQZWJwY2FU9JEwSoMi5bi6GE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was watching that one (2 Star DR). It looks like it needed some additional restoration work, but still went nearly $1k.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, how much work does that pipe need? I would think that for a thousand bucks it would be in better shape?

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was watching that one (2 Star DR). It looks like it needed some additional restoration work, but still went nearly $1k.

There's no rewind button on lost material. Meaning what this pipe needs now can't be done.

I don't know if the stem was oxidized to where removing so much was unavoidable, the restorer was heavy handed, or the original Dunhill shaper blew it. Whichever, this is a textbook example of why diamond shank stems are difficult to get right in the first place, and require a lot more monitoring & care (if vulcanite) than normal shapes after the fact. The knife edge IS the profile, and jacking it shows up from a mile away:

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I thought this shot showed an odd texture to the vulcanite, those are some weird marks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mr. Treasurepipe's photo quality is so spectacularly shitty there's no telling what's going on with the surface of that stem (or much of anything else).

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

george, I totally agree with you his pictures suck. I have no idea why people bid his stuff up so high with those lousy photos. You can barely see any grain and the sandblasts are no better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I forgot I was watching this pipe. I wanted to ask Jesse why it went for so much. I have not seen a Barling go for that much since I have been watching them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-BARLING-303-SPECIAL-LF-PRE-TRANSITION/362204509074?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rare shape + desirable shape + excellent specimen (meaning execution/workmanship) + outstanding condition = $

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

George pretty well summed it up. In the world of Barling there are very sought after shapes. An LF or LLF will go for more money than the average Barling, and $500+ isn't the highest I've seen these get on eBay. LF and LLF refer to the shape of the shank, not the stem. LF is long flat and LLF is long long flat. They're pretty damned rare. Add to that it's a "Special" grade, which means that the grain is nicer than the average Barling. There are Barling collectors who would sell their children's organs to acquire one of those.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks guys. I couldn't see myself spending that much for a pipe like that. I guess I will never be a true collector if I am not willing to step up into the majors. I'll be a AAA collector and forever wish I could be in the Show with Jesse and others.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks guys. I couldn't see myself spending that much for a pipe like that. I guess I will never be a true collector if I am not willing to step up into the majors. I'll be a AAA collector and forever wish I could be in the Show with Jesse and others.

What you don't know is that Jesse lives, um, near downtown LA off Alameda to be able to afford all those Barlings. (His tent is the red one on the far left.)

In the BritWood collecting community we call that commitment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hate to disillusion you guys, but most of my collection is comprised of well worn workhorse burners. I have maybe a handful of top end pieces. For most of those I didn't pay that much. Years ago it was much easier to find great deals on eBay, before a number of key words got added to the site's metadata. So I spent, on average, 1/3 to 1/2 what some of these pipes were going for at the time, because I would do very intensive searches. My best deal was $425 for a Barling Straight Grain, 6 Sasieni 8 Dots, 3 Pre War Sasieni 4 dots, 2 Comoy Blue Ribands, and a couple of no names, all pristine. I don't have the deep pockets to go up against the major collectors, and wouldn't spend that kind of money even if I could. I've just been both very lucky and very active in tracking down deals.

George, have you priced real estate in LA? It's the least affordable market in the US. I couldn't pay for a tent like that. No way!

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

(His tent is the red one on the far left.)

And, as you can see, he never lets his stems out in direct sunlight. Ever.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

george, too funny. I always wondered how he afforded so many nice Barlings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always wondered how he afforded so many nice Barlings.

Indeed.

And you know that "Porsche" he "drives" around glitzy LA?

Yeah. Not so much:

And this is his lunch and dinner six days out of seven:

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In Jesse’s defense, George chose a particularly high-end “tent alley” (as they’re called in the tonier parts of Los Angeles); I’m pretty sure that’s the one where Brad Pitt, George Clooney & Matt Damon live. I’ve heard that Jesse’s tent alley is almost as nice; it has Vanilla Ice, Fannie Flagg, Carrot Top, Dustin Diamond, and the remains of Dick Van Patten. Incidentally Van Patten’s fabled Loewe collection was, alas, cremated along with him in 2015.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is the most erudite bashing yet! Well done, scholars!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Two interesting pipes ended this afternoon.

This one is a Comoy's shape 256, Rover. There really isn't a reference to a Rover as a 2nd line Comoy's, but Jon Gus says there is a connection before WWII. I should have read this thread, if so, I might have increased my bid a bit.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/comoy-rover-question

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Comoy-Rover-England/192446376807?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The Dunhill shape 747 is the one British shape still absent on my list. This one went for a reasonable price, by a non-pipe seller. It lacked the bead lines that I required and the stem fitment looked a bit off. I think that I've only see one other in the past few years, so it's probably going to remain unfufilled for a while longer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-DUNHILL-Shell-Briar-747-year-1972-Chubby-Rhodesian-pipe-ULTRA-RARE/273046199021?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about this one, these Dunhill collectors really take this stuff seriously. The grain was nice but I have seen better for a whole lot less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-DR-G-ROOT-1982-UNSMOKED/362216490884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Pretty good coinage for that one. The grain is quite nice. The price is for the stamp.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Dunhill DR G Root is back............. Let's see how high she goes this round!..................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362238747390?ViewItem=&item=362238747390

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  61. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

He really should have waited a bit. Usually, when pipe gets relisted on eBay too soon, the final price drops through the basement. Assuming he made a second chance offer to one of the other bidders, they also balked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Looks like the G ended already? $5,650 the last bid.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Only one bidder. Only one day? This seems a bit strange. But if it's legit, congrats, I suppose. It's still about the stamp.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here's an interesting Comoy's that was just listed as a Buy It Now. The Russian seller says seems to suggest it was 1920's era pipe.

The COM does look like 20's - 30's era Comoy's. The stem logo doesn't look like Comoy's, but I've seen it somewhere before, but can't recall where. Is the stem a replacement? The button doesn't look like a 20's era piece?

I've never seen a shape 67.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323094410335?ul_noapp=true

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whether $5k or $8k it's a bit rich. Good grain but not outstanding.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like an early devonshire from kaywoodie but not the right color.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I already have a 256, but not with this nice of a grain. Some dents to steam out. I put in a half-hearted last second bid and got smoked. This seller sometimes comes up as hinky, so perhaps for the best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-COMOYS-TRADITION-GORGEOUS-RARE-SHAPE-THREE-INLAY-LOGO-GREAT-PIPE/391983070025?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

Al, i think I tried a bit harder than you on that 256, still got smoked. Very sad. What happened to the author dream!

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

70. johnsteam86

johnsteam86

Login to Send PM

$3,950 winning bid on the Dunhill. I'd smoke that.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank, mortonbriar, philobeddoe, disinformatique