1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This looks like one of the classic "undergraded" Charatans. This example was only graded a Special, the left side grain is impressive, the opposite not so much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LANE-ERA-CHARATANS-MAKE-PIPE-SPECIAL-360-STRAIGHT-GRAIN/391914070841?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, the highest feedback rating of everybody who bid $70 or over is a statospheric 34. The winner has a feedback rating of 1. Odds on a relisting?

Nice pipe though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Looking at the bid history, the winner clearly wanted this pipe. He kept up a running duel over a six day period.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A couple of fun ones ended this weekend.

My buddy nabbed this excellent Sasieni Danzey, so I'll get to restore it. We both thought it would go higher.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sasieni-Four-Dot-Danzey-sXS-bent-bulldog-family-era-Great-condition/142565234737?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Another 499 going for a very high price. Given the condition, someone wanted this one very badly, given the condition.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-Extraordinaire-London-Made-499-Estate-Pipe/302517528367?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This early year, Ashton Straight Grain did pretty well.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASHTON-SG-2-STRAIGHT-GRAIN-PIPE-UNSMOKED-1988/382267931946?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Comoy's 499

Given the condition, someone wanted this one very badly...

?

Al, not sure what you mean by that. I'd say for its age it was in excellent condition.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I thought that the bowl top was a little beat up, but on second glance, it's not that bad.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oldest of the three 499's in this thread. Notice the LONDON MADE COM mark.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This one was worth watching:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLING-STRAIGHT-GRAIN-3-PIPE-SET-PRE-TRANSITIONAL-INCREDIBLE-BILLIARDS-LIGHT-WE-/232553787440?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=T78%252B9KpJudwrY%252BG3OygVilRgrvw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

A cased set of 3 Barling straight grains

Price seemed quite high, probably China euphoria driving this dream of avarice. And, it didn't sell.

The straight grains are all in great condition and are all Canadians, so three factors making this a particularly desirable collectors set. For Barling straight grains, these are pretty decent mid level straight graining. I've seen much worse, and I seen much better. $1600 per pipe? Get real.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was perusing pipes on the bay, when I saw this rather ordinary billiard. I have no idea what this pipe is, but I thought the stamping was interesting as it seems to indicate a date similar to the way Dunhills are dated. It sold for about $35. Any brit-wood fans have any thoughts?

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@ Dave - good eye, that is a 1920's COM on the 499, I don't think that I've ever seen a 499 of that era

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-53-BRUYERE-SILVER-SPIGOT-CASED-READING-PIPE-1920-/362153534527?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=FnMycN9iJCkf4ZTblWNk%252FWpQiEk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Discuss. To my eye, the collectability value of this item is.......$0. Stummel is...? Stem not original. Same question about the extension (weren't these usually horn?). No Hallmarks on the sterling. Case is in poor condition.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hey man, it's a Dunhill and every Dunhill is really worth a lot of money, you know? And, hey, it's like...it's like.. it's old, man, and...you know? And it's a Dunhill, and Dunhills are like...are like... well, they're worth it man!

It has some collectibility value as a sort of basket case. The shank is spliced, though why is something of a mystery. It appears to fit the case, so that's encouraging, but again mystifying, since splice jobs usually result in a change in dimensions. Unless the splice is to preserve the Dunhill stamp while replacing a beat up bowl. The quality of the briar looks to be lowest end. The military cap (spigot, my ass) is strange, very out of date for the period cited. Those scallops were more late Victorian thru Edwardian. No AD stamp, so also curious. The stems are a replacement, possibly the fitments as well. Nothing with an AD stamp or hallmarks. Very curious. Case is in wretched condition. Albatross wing bone extensions run about $150 an inch. Would you spend that kind of money on this piece? So vulcanite, not bone or amber. With so much replaced, the thing might not even go with the case. Could be a complete Frenkenpipe.

Price paid is an absurdity.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple of pictures for the record...

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's got me puzzled. Gary must be laughing all the way to the bank on that one.
    That motoring/table Dunhill he has listed sure is interesting. He sold a table pipe a few weeks ago, but this is the first one I've seen with the optional mounts for car use. (I'll post the link when it ends).

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A nicely cut, unsmoked, Root ODA from the pre shop re-organization period:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Dunhill-Root-ODA-836-Large-Panel-Billiard-Pipe-Unsmoked-COOPERSARK-NR-/352210158002

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Wow! That's an impressive price, though it IS an unsmoked Dunhill, a very desirable model, and a large one, from a great period. I wonder if the winner will smoke it. That first match will be a pretty expensive one. Once it's smoked, it's just another old pipe, though a gorgeous one!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It's amazing that Rob continually finds items like this.

This sold last night,for just about the same money. I've seen this table pipe before, but never with the optional car mount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-MOTORING-PIPE-FABRICATION-ANGLAISE-PATENT-1923/372116529119?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This one just ended Monday AM, one bid till the final seconds. I put in $300 and then got dusted. This one had lots going for it:
    Rare shape (498)
    Blue Riband stamp
    COM is from the 1920's
    And the uncommon "Straight Grain" stamp.

This one is missing from Neill Archer Roan's collection,I'll have to check his FB page today. I think he would have pulled out all the stops for this pipe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-BLUE-RIBAND-BULLDOG/122819005305?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A neat old Blue Riband there. The shape, and it's markings. From what Neill has told me, very few were made before the war, and basically none during the war. So the pipe dates from 1938~40, or even possibly from the period just after the war...

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another comment on that 498, it would be interesting to see it with the stem out. I'd bet you would see the metal shank reinforcement. This is a Jost's Old English De Luxe 498,

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Well, the 498 was not won by Neill, he missed this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I watched this Virgin 9242 skyrocket today. It looks very solid, I'd love to see what someone with some talent could do with it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GBD-VIRGIN-9242-Estate-Pipe-England-GOOD-CONDITION-NO-RESERVE/142606330367?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

@jesse: I meant to ask you about this Barlings. Is there any story to tell here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Vintage-Barling-Tobacco-Pipe-with-Sterling-Silver-Wind-Cap-Signed/162766462830?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh my, I love this stuff.
    Please keep it going!
    Including the excellent dialogue on the particulars.

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

With regards to the Barling bulldog with the "Motor" wind cap, it sold for a decent amount, all things considered. I've seen these go for considerably more, but there's usually a more harmonious line between the bowl shape and the domed wind cap. This one looked a bit clumsy and I had zero interest in it. My suspicion is that it will clean up nicely. As for smoking, I find that while wind capped pipes look great, the wind caps get in the way of performance, no no more of those for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

@ssjones,I was watching the GBD 9242 as well but it got to pricey for me,I would like a 9242 but I am not that desperate to get one although I know they do attract large bids

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@Jesse - yep, I find those wind caps pretty much useless.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The price of ignorance, $757.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SASIENI-034-ONE-DOT-034-SPECIALLY-SELECTED-BY-JOEL-SASIENI-EXTRA-RARE-PIPE-/391933758659?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=E8bgaDs6UavJVopFtOLQP2SvqpQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

If that's an ORIGINAL One Dot stem, then I'm Alfred Dunhill. Note the size of the tenon airway, the wasp waist cut, and the stem's taper in profile. Also, how does a pipe made between 1919-1924 have a 1925 Patent date??? Winning bidder has a feedback of...2.

For comparison a Sasieni saddle stem, Old England shape 70.

Seeing these kinds of things just makes my head spin...

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ Ouch

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

31. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watched this one all week. These CK patents don't come around very often. I bid, I lost..............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPE-DUNHILL-CK-SHELL-PAT-417574-34-MADE-IN-ENGLANDO-UNDERSCORED-J-W-STAMP-/232578290681?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Za8gdGHLjx83edvvt8cLUYeswFg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These CK patents don't come around very often. I bid, I lost..............

An emerging case of LBSD (lost bid stress disorder) no doubt.

Good thing I didn't even see it, or I'd probably be short a leg right now (who needs two of 'em, anyway?)

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It was a banner day for some interesting auctions.

This one stayed below my estimate, perhaps the bidders above were busted!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMOY-S-EXTRAORDINARE-Churchworden-Pipe-London-1-of-Several-Listed-/253280179402?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=eRjkQZWJwY2FU9JEwSoMi5bi6GE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I don't think that I've ever seen a shape 408.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

804! Yes, sold for much less than I thought it would.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Right....804.

Check out this one, no COM, looks rusticated like a Sasieni Rustic.
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/159436-comoys-804-extraordinaire-pipe

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check out this one, no COM, looks rusticated like a Sasieni Rustic.

That's quite an interesting example! Certainly looks like hand carved rustication. There's a sandblast at pipedia. Evidence that nothing was set in stone in the world of English pipes!

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The 804 has always been my definition of an Extraordinaire. I forgot about this auction else I might have bid on it. I figured that it would go for a low price due to the visible issues, it not being cleaned, and the photography being poor. I was guesstimating somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 to $350.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sometimes what is sold doesn't stay sold. The wind capped Barling has reappeared for sale. I guess the winning bidder took a powder.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This one lasted about 10 minutes before a buyer paid the BIN. A Comoys 2nd, shape 284.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282762973836

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

41. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That's what happens when you put in a high walk away bid and a newbie bids too much.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This one was interesting, a three pipe Barling Companion set of a unique configuration, one smooth, one sandblast, one quaint. I've never seen this kind of set before, and I wonder if this could have been a special casing made for a client. Usually, pipes in a companion set share something in common, either a finish, a grade, a shape, something. But this is the first motley set I've seen.

As usually happens, the price jumped in the very last moments of the auction as the snipers all shot at each other, with the usual result that the set went for a higher, rather than a lower, amount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLING-039-S-MAKE-PRE-TRANSITION-PIPE-SET-FOSSIL-QUAINT-SMOOTH-/382301122730?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=T78%252B9KpJudwrY%252BG3OygVilRgrvw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Individually, none of the pipes strike me as exceptional, though the condition is quite good. The quaint is a classic design, but the rustication looks fairly buffed down. The sandblast is quite nice. The smooth is ho hum. Individually these pipes wouldn't likely generate more than $1300 total, but there's a premium for condition and being cased, so add another $250 for that. A reasonable price for this set would have been around $1500 to $1600 so the stratospheric sniping delivered an added bonus for the seller, as it often does.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2K! 1956 by the hallmarked pipe...... I like the Fossil the best, but it also looks like it has suffered from the buffer a bit. Always enjoy reading the seller's detailed descriptions of the items being sold (heavy sarcasm).

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was watching that set as well.

This was an interesting Peterson, and one of the highest prices that I've seen for that brand in a long time.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/IRISH-ESTATE-PIPE-PETERSON-PATENT-15-K-GOLD-BAND-K-P-hallmark-Birmingham-1911/362180459822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

al, that peterson is unique in that it has a 15kt gold stamping. I have never seen a 15kt .625 gold stamp on anything before this auction. I had no idea anyone ever made 15kt. Normally it is either 10 kt .417, 14kt .585 or 18kt .750. Dental fillings is 16- 22kt and of course pure gold is 24kt.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ah, yes, Harris the 15k Gold used is quite odd (wonder what Cosmic thinks about that). The seller was just noting that he hadn't seen a Peterson Patent with gold (irregardless of the quality grade). Who the heck uses 15k Gold??

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

Very interesting topic!

Spilling the beans: I am the one who took the old 499 above and if i had to do it again, i would . The condition was good to me (after cleaned), and it smoked fantastic with 3 nuns at the first time that i didn't even think about changing the tobacco.

To this thread, here's a questionable author:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-1945-Sasieni-cola-de-pescado-034-Ashford-034-Estate-Pipe-Londres-hecho-PAT-N-150221-20-/162306003641?_ul=EC&nma=true&si=72ZFje%252BujGzm9Zq%252FawPyqfRxLRw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm no Sasieni expert. Is the pipe topped? And is the stem a replacement?, cuz as i can see 2 of 4 dots are not-so-blue, and the diamond shape looks more like an equilateral than an elongated (?). From my very humble knowledge i don't think that this guy worths $400.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I think the Ashford is legit. One of the tell tails with a pipe being topped is that the staining on the rim rarely matches the color of the rest of the bowl from all angles. It is almost always lighter. I don't see that here. Then there another tell tail, the super crisp edge along the rim. I don't see that here either. Given that the stampings are clearly visible and that these stampings are usually shallow and delicate and often worn, this indicates to me that the pipe just hasn't seen that much use and has been spared the horrors of a buffer and/or drooling, knuckle dragging previous owners. The off color rod stock isn't all that uncommon. There is a very slight elongation to the diamond, just not as much as on other stems of the Joel era.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@kangaroo - I think we reconsidered on that 499, the condition. They don't come up that often so you do what you need to do. I'd love to see it cleaned and restored, please post updates on a dedicated thread.

On that Sasieni, that seller has has had that one up for nearly a year, with no takers at that price (I think he originally had it listed for $750 US). It looks all original to me. This is the only thing that bothers me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, I agree with Jesse point for point.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not yet finished, but very unlikely to NOT sell.

The best condition early 120 I've ever seen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-120-SHELL-w-FITTED-LEATHER-CASE-PATENT-1922-/362179470641?hash=item5453942531

If it doesn't go over $1000 I'll be amazed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

Thank you for informations. However the condition, that Ashford has a nice flow anyways.

@Al Nah i wish i have a half of pipe restoring skills as you have. It would be a shame to me to post a dedicated thread. No dye color, no wax, all i have were reaming tool, alcohol, sandpapers (up to 2000 grit), pipe cleaners and a cloth. Here's the result.

There're some dents and scratches around the rim and cap, i know it could become much better in a professional hand, but i'd rather keep the old folk in this condition, build a new thin cake and smoke it gently.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Looks pretty good from here Kangaroo!

Wow, that 120, I've never seen one with that type of blast. The nomenclature looks like it was stamped this morning, I guess that's what a cased pipe can deliver.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The 120 is pretty neat, but there's something about it that bothers me. The bowl looks short, and when I look at it in its case I can't help but wonder if it was topped at some point, reblasted and restained. That's a lot of space at the top between the rim and the interior top of the case.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This week we have some very interesting auctions, not the least of which is this BBB calabash:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-OWN-MAKE-SILVER-MOUNTED-CASED-PIPE-ALBATROSS-BONE-MINT-/382310366636?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=JEN2DyVyCqPuxRgQI2%252FPdoMaU50%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Which returned a very good price, both be cause of the very mint condition and because it included an intact albatross wing bone extension. Most of the time, these bone extensions have dried out, cracked and split. If the new owner is going to smoke this piece with the extension attached I hope that he will find out how to protect it for use.

This is the most I've seen one of these get in auction. It was quite the shootout at the end between 5 snipers, during which the price nearly tripled. Again, so much for the myth that sniping provides any kind of advantage.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The 120 is pretty neat, but there's something about it that bothers me. The bowl looks short, and when I look at it in its case I can't help but wonder if it was topped at some point, reblasted and restained. That's a lot of space at the top between the rim and the interior top of the case.

The diligence of your skepticism is impressive, Mr. J.

As justified as it is regarding Ebay in general and this vendor in particular (we all remember that "mint"---but topped---gold banded Barling you spotted a couple years ago), in this case I think it's a bit of confirmation bias leaking through. While the bowl is proportionally somewhat short, Dunhill's dimensions were all over the place in those early sandblast years; and the extra space at the top of the case could be anything from casual workmanship to cases being sized after a pipe was shaped but before it was blasted for production efficiency reasons, and more of the rim was lost than anticipated (it certainly looks like a fair-sized chunk came away).

Mostly, though, I do a fair amount of blast topping myself so know what's involved, and that would be absolutely stellar work. If done in days gone by, the question would be why, since such pipes weren't worth much until the Pipe Show Era; and if it was done recently, I'd probably have heard of anyone with that skill set before now. In short, it both looks original to me and I can't come up with a likely scenario for it being otherwise.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Dunhill's dimensions were all over the place in those early sandblast years; and the extra space at the top of the case could be anything from casual workmanship to cases being sized after a pipe was shaped but before it was blasted for production efficiency reasons, and more of the rim was lost than anticipated (it certainly looks like a fair-sized chunk came away).

Maybe, but it sure it s very exact fit from the button, through the stem and shank, right up to where the rim should have been. As for why anyone would have done such a repair? Well, Dunhill, Barling, and other makers retained full repair services for their customers. Who is to say that Dunhill didn't do the restoration for a favored client back in the day? A gap that big will always raise a flag with me that something doesn't quite add up.

It's all part of what makes collecting vintage pipes so interesting to me. Besides the pipes themselves, there are often little mysteries about which one can speculate, or perhaps, uncover a bit of pipe history. And you may well be right and Dunhill was just a bit loose in their adherence to their model patterns at that time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the same time, the lining of the bottom of the case is pretty compressed. So the gap at the top might be misleading.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  59. donkeykong

donkeykong

Login to Send PM

It’s been a little while since I’ve posted here, but farm life & a new job have made it difficult to as much as keep up with the stuff I want to do yet alone what I need to do.

Anyways I was excited to have struck an eBay deal for my birth year pipe in a Dunhill shape that speaks to me. I ended up paying $250 shipped but am ok with the price because fir some reason I struggle to find Dunhill from ‘81.

Anyways happy new year & here is my link:

DUNHILL PIPE ROOT BRIAR 43061 POT EXCELLENT CONDITION (FROM 1981) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172968458814

Mark

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats! Glad you found it; solid looking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

A flawed holly grail
    Worthy?

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@kangaroo, that was impressive for a Guildhall 2nd.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

Ssjones i know right, but if there’re not some small filled i might have tried my luck as well , although if that happened it should have been a little “C” instead.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This Disneyland pipe went a lot higher then I thought it would. Thought I had a chance at $52 but it shot up in the last 4 seconds.

Ebay Disneyland pipe

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  65. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

Hope that’s a deal of happiness because Disneyland is the happiest place in the world they said

Here’s a super well-matched cross grain Sasieni, but I think the buyer will have a lot of work to do for it can match the price better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152848779141

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yikes! That's a pretty price to pay. One the one hand, it's an exceptional piece of wood, with terrific birdseye. One the other hand, the rim looks a bit chewed up and the chamber walls could be a little funky. Stem should clean up just fine. It looks like there's an "R" stamped on the side of the shank. I'm not familiar with that marking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's a little pricey, even for an Eight Dot. The R throws me off as well. I'd love to see it restored.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This was an interesting GBD, it just ended. A shape/size that I've never seen before, advertised as unsmoked and looks it. A little bit of a bidding skirmish in the last few seconds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Pipe-GBD-New-Era-Full-Bent-Colossus-Never-Smoked-Beautiful/332505810506?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That's an elegant take on the "swan's neck".

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That and the unsmoked paneled bulldog we’re sweet Pipes

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank, mortonbriar, philobeddoe, disinformatique