Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

Interesting Completed Ebay Auctions - British Pipes

(440 posts)
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Lets make this a continuing thread on completed auctions. Please don't post live auctions, unless they are a BIN (we don't want to blow up anyone's spot).

These two ended a week or so ago.

1960 Dunhill ODA 839. I knew this would go big, but I didn't expect it to break the $2k mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Dunhill-Root-ODA-839-Bent-Squat-Bulldog-Pipe-Pristine-COOPERSARK-N-R/232470536798?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

1932 Dunhill Vernon Fitment pipe. I thought this might have gone higher, but I don't really follow these pipes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-36-ROOT-PATENT-PENDING-w-VERNON-TENON-1932-/372053352416?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=eRjkQZWJwY2FU9JEwSoMi5bi6GE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man I like the look of that Vernon.. big time.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, it's amazing what a name and white plastic spot will do for a pipe. I have a very similar bent bulldog to the Dunhill above though mine is a McQuade and has infinitely better grain...and it cost me all of £7. Granted, it didn't come with a box though.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fell asleep at the wheel and missed my chance to bid on this 1921 Charatan prince.

Someone got a great deal on this. Final price: 24 GBP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TOBACCO-PIPE-SILVER-HALLMARK-BAND-BIRMINGHAM-4-5-INCHES-LONG-/401401269219?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me Scot blood rebels when a Dr. Grabow smokes as well. Still, an inspiring pipe to see.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

This was one of my auctions- a pipe i paid $35 for in Puerto Rico and cleaned up...i got a pretty fair price , and i thought the buyer did well for a 1st year Tanshell... http://www.ebay.com/itm/182748012687
    z

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ah,yes I was watching your pipe Zack.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ah,yes I was watching your pipe Zack.

all, you should have been bidding like crazy so we could talk about the ridiculous price that a Tanshell wen for....:)

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I dropped the ball....

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

At least 2 people desperately wanted this pipe, and one of them got it. The final price isn't completely out of line, just at the upper end of what these go for. Nothing too remarkable about the bidding history. No last second sniper idiocy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-PRE-TRANSITION-BARLING-FLAME-GRAIN-EXEXEL-LF-CANADIAN-English-Estate-Pipe-/362092738373?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=T78%252B9KpJudwrY%252BG3OygVilRgrvw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Barclay-Rex from 1967 that's as nice. Not nearly as valuable, but as good looking. Walls are a bit thinner on my Canadian.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The seller cancelled the auction with no bids and then relisted it. Still no bids. The shaping on the shank leaves something to be desired. 1970's aren't the worst or least desirable period. 1980's and later saw the quality become more variable. I remember visiting the Dunhill shop in Beverly Hills in the early '90's, looking at the pipes on display and talking with the salesman behind the counter who was very upfront about his unfavorable opinion regarding the quality at that time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ah, thanks Jesse, I had an email today that it had been relisted. I thought bids ended at $950, but it was unsold at that price (which makes sense).

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202052360516

Man this Comoy's run is nuts

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

17. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yep, it was a glut of great auctions these evening. Those two Extraordinaires brought as expected prices (one was the highly sought after 499).

That seller had three Blue Ribands in varying conditions that also did pretty well.

The night kicked off with this 1920 Dunhill LC by Rob Cooper, I guess you don't see many LC's go to bid. This was part of Rob's personal collection.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-Dunhill-Shell-Patent-LC-Large-Bent-Billiard-Pipe-COOPERSARK-NO-RESERVE/232478433528?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This Specimen Straight Grain by the seller above was the last to go, it got bid up pretty high early,yet still jumped $200 in the last few seconds.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estate-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Comoys-Specimen-229-London-England/202052360919?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I threw in some last second bids on several, but got blown out of the water on all of them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I won the regent for 12.50 hahaha. Man I can't believe I got that excited about watching people spend crazy amounts of money on pipes. The one I tried to go for was the grand slam extradiniare. So cool looking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Comoy 235 Oom Paul auction pleased me no end as I have the exact same model only mine is near mint!

Best I get my finger out and put it up on the Bay.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only recently started looking close at pipes on ebay..
    As if I didn't spend enough as it was. That place is a damn trap.

Edit: I've placed max bids on a handful of Brit pipes from the first half of the 20th century. I don't expect any of them to hold.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@jay, if you have a 235 Extraordinaire, they are definitely a sought after shape SP sold one in restored condition earlier this year for $235. So for that unrestored Ebay example to go over $500 is a little mind-boggling...

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought it was rather high too Al but of course a thing will sell for what someone is prepared to pay.

When I get my finger out I will offer it up for sale on the forum first, if no takers then it will go on the bay.

I certainly won't be asking $500 for it though.

I also have a Kaywoodie 235 London made Oom Paul that is almost identical to the Comoy, the only difference is it has a saddle stem. My betting is that it was made by Comoy due to the shape number.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

and yes, I have a unused Comoy Extraordinaire shape 127 in original box - and it will stay
    with me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here is a puzzler. Rob Cooper had another 499 Extraordinaire end this afternoon. Despite this one being fully restored and in very good condition (advertised as mint, the bowl top says otherwise), this one didn't break $500. The unrestored pipe by a mystery seller brings nearly $600. Rob's auction ended in mid-afternoon, versus Sunday at prime time, I'm not sure how big a factor that was.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-Comoys-Extraordinaire-499-Bent-Rhodesian-Pipe-Mint-COOPERSARK-N-R/391887390271?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Top of the rim rounded rounded over, and look at the shape or the stem towards the button...

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Which pipe looked prettier? It's not just about the shape and not all British pipes of same make and model are created equal. Other factors can be who's bidding. All it takes is a couple of determined and deep pocketed collectors to cause a pipe to reach unnatural heights or the lack of same to move the auction result in the opposite direction.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Top of the rim rounded rounded over, and look at the shape or the stem towards the button...

Full disclosure, I was not a bidder on either of these pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Coopers pipe looked far prettier. (also far from "mint", as mentioned").

Personally, I think the one last week had a ton of potential, to be perhaps nicer than the Coopersark pipe sold today.

I just thought it was odd that the Cooper pipe rec'd less action.

The Coopersark pipe had some dings and nicks on the rings. The bowl top on either was about the same. Well, cooperspipe only showed darkening, the one last week was a mystery under the build-up (I'd call them equal, but that's no guarantee). Both sellers also take returns.

The pipe from last week. The "C" on the Coopersark pipe was a lot better than this one.

Coopersark pipe

I guess that's why the process is called an auction!

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

After the oxidation is removed on the unrestored pipe, its shape is also going to be altered. I think both pipes were listed at the end date of the first one. Perhaps the buyer just didn't want to gamble loosing it and then having a higher competition level for the Coopersark pipe (which then didnt happen).

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a fair amount of confidence that the unrestored pipe is going to look the better of the two when all is said and done. Beyond that I couldn't possibly comment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here's an unusual piece, I'm not quite sure what to make of it, a Comoy's Super Magnum (sellers title), it's a BIN with a hefty entry fee.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-Rare-SUPER-MAGNUM-BRIAR-Pipe-Beautiful-Condition/122723619177?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The pipe is 14" long and weighs 10 oz. I can't find any other Comoys Magnum pipes for comparison.
    This pipe has a gold painted logo, not a stamp. It has a 3 piece C stem logo. The seller says it has no COM or other marks (no shape number). Not pictured is the Y&S and 1927 silver adornment on the front of the bowl, presumably from Yale (speculated by the seller)

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Well, it's pretty unique. Looks like it might be unsmoked. That's a lot of bare wood showing in the chamber walls. Odds on it selling?

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That painted logo bothers me, I've never seen one before, and no other stamping.
    On the other hand, there's no way someone found a 3 piece C stem and fit it on that monster.
    I wish we knew more.
    I'm going to email it to Rich Esserman. While not a Comoy's collector, he is the Magnum guy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the painted pipe....why no picture of the silver inlay? The painted logo looks like it's a souvenir pipe, rather than a burner.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did you see his ornately carved Comoy selling at $1,400? Pretty hideous pipe but I can appreciate the effort that went into it.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

37. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes Jay. There's an Specimen Straight Grain on Ebay that is truly hideous, has to be from the late 70's.(a plateau bridge type piece).

I did hear back from Rich Esserman on the Magnum. He believes he was offered this pipe at a Philly club meeting several years ago (3 pc C, painted logo, Y&S silverwork). He said the pipe was not in a smokeable condition and would be only fit for display.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's the one Jesse, pretty much a waste of briar in my book though doubtless beautiful to some eyes. Carving aside, the basic shaping just doesn't do it for me.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's another one. Check out the bid history. This is what happens when two determined, monied, and ignorant bidders shoot for the stars in final moment sniping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Rare-Barling-Pipes-Pre-Transition-034-Special-Fossil-Prince-034-Ye-Old-Wood-/152705395139?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=T78%252B9KpJudwrY%252BG3OygVilRgrvw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$250 each....nope.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

You would think that the guy with the 845 rating would know better (other sniper had a "17")
    And one with a cheap repair band. Oh-veh.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. dulgunz

dulgunz

Login to Send PM

I need to start selling pipes on ebay!

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

44. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

45. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

46. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm a bit surprised that the unsmoked 1924 Dunhill didn't go for more. The 1920 library pipe is a beauty and the bidding is interesting in that the winner put in a single bid at the beginning and walked away. He clearly wanted that pipe at any price. Not a bargain, but not outrageous either, all things considered. The 1963 pipe is a pretty good deal, even with the tiny bit of damage to the outer rim.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That reading pipe is just amazing. The unsmoked one is pretty terrific too. Didn't go for much more than a new one runs here. But that reading one. Damn.

George, did you get any of them?

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Wow, some heavy hitters in that group George, Secondhand had quite a day (where does he find these things??)

$710 for the unsmoked '24 seems pretty reasonable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It looks like an Old School collector's stuff ended up in Gary's hands a few weeks ago, instead of being passed on through private channels the way they usually do.

This latest specimen is about as nice a standard shape Dunnie as exists anywhere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-142-BRUYERE-PATENT-1924-UNSMOKED-/372053294036?hash=item56a01abbd4

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This one caught my eye. Blue Ribands are a bit uncommon, bulldogs in that grade are pretty rare. The winner put his bid in a few days earlier and no one challenged him after it topped $700

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-1950s-Comoy-039-s-BLUE-RIBAND-CLASSIC-BULLDOG-English-Estate-Pipe-CLEAN-/202070798494?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=eRjkQZWJwY2FU9JEwSoMi5bi6GE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The prices that some of the heavy hitter eBay sellers are getting for classic British wood would make any holder of such think twice about a private sale through traditional channels

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This was fun, one of Tony Soderman's pipes, sold by Rodrigo. I put in a last second bid, alas too short. Six snipes in the last seven seconds.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SASIENI-EIGHT-DOT-28-PATENT-FISH-TALE-LOGO-SILVER-MOUNTED-PIPE/372095860771?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm amazed bidders don't ask whether or not the pipe still has the stinger, and that this detail is not shown in the pictures.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd have to know a lot more about pipes than I care to learn to participate in these auctions. . .and a lot more money!

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

56. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Treasurepipes is pretty frugal with pictures, that always amazes me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering how much excitement there was a few months ago when several Merchant Service pipes were on ebay, I was surprised there was only one bid on this pipe. The Bel Air made by Willmer was basically the same pipe, a true "Bing's Favorite" shape. Seven inches, nice long tapered stem, and the beveled rim detail. Pipe looks to be in excellent condition. These pipes don't come around too often.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nice find Dave, did you grab that Willmer? It looks in excellent shape.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Member Jensen brought this one to my attention. It's certainly an interesting piece that garnered a lot of attention and one that I've not seen before.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfred-Dunhill-Root-Briar-Estate-Pipe/272888790586?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The pipe was made in '81, but the LXXV is latin for 75. Any ideas? Dunhills 75th was in 1985.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Might have been some ole boy's 75th wedding anniversary present from his wife and/or kids.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The pipe was made in '81, but the LXXV is latin for 75. Any ideas? Dunhills 75th was in 1985.

Clearly an aftermarket customization by Dunhill for the client. Otherwise they would have placed the stampings differently where the COM stamp is placed. I'd bet on a 75th wedding anniversary. Were it a company gift there would have been something engraved on the band to signify that. It's pretty spectacular in all regards.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think a 75th birthday is much more likely. The number of men who live to 75 is almost infinitely higher than the number who make it to a 75th wedding anniversary. As at least an indication of plausibility, if you believe Wikipedia (a big "if", I know), there are less than 50 couples known to have been married 80 years or more. I'm not saying the owner of this pipe couldn't have beaten the odds (if that's what you want to call it), just that it's a lot less likely than celebrating a 75th birthday.

However, for the truly curious the seller says the pipe was a family piece, and offers more background information to interested bidders.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's an interesting auction that just concluded on eBay. The pipe is a 1957 Barling 249, one of their best shapes and as you can see in the pictures, it's in excellent unrestored condition. I own one of these, in mint condition, and it is one of my "desert island" pipes, just a superb smoking instrument. I did bid on this pipe but was unwilling to go much more than what I spent on the one that I have. I've seen three of these come up for auction over the past 10 years and all of them date to 1956 thru 1957, which leaves me wondering if this model was only offered for a relatively short span of time.

The bidding history is interesting in that the pipe jumped in price by over $100 in the last 6 seconds of the auction due to sniping by several different bidders. The competitors didn't bid outrageously high, or they ran out of time, so the pipe closed at a reasonable price, a good sale for the seller, and a good price for the buyer. This is one of those rare occasions where eBay worked in a reasonable fashion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/estate-pipe-Barling-039-s-Make-Ye-Olde-Wood-249-T-V-F-made-in-England-ExEL-/372106021259?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=T78%252B9KpJudwrY%252BG3OygVilRgrvw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could also commemorate his first $75,000,000.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Boy, I'd love to see that Barling restored, that's quite a grain pattern.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Boy, I'd love to see that Barling restored, that's quite a grain pattern.

Yes it is. I'm surprised that it wasn't graded a Special. Mine is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm surprised that it wasn't graded a Special.

Indeed, a very nice olde pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This one went a lot higher than I expected. An unsmoked, 1979 Comoy's Christmas pipe. The seller said it had the 3 piece drilled C logo (most Christmas pipes have stamped logos), but I couldn't pick that up from the photos. It had a couple of serious handling dings and what looked like perhaps a fill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1979-Comoy-Comoys-Christmas-Pipe-No-Reserve/282703681480?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, I would say you're correct about the three piece 'c'.

I notice the seller has a slew of Comoy Christmas pipes for sale, all unsmoked!

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, ssjones, laa2, pappymac, gatorlope, captainsousie, jpmcwjr, fishnbanjo, transpose, dochudson, spartacus, autumnfog