PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyhours

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
Hi everyone!
I recently stopped smoking cigarettes (canadian cigs) and made the switch to Swedish Snus and Nasal Snuff. I am completely satisfied nicotine wise, but there is the ritual and the "alone time" I find myself missing...
I've been looking at different pipes and all. Choosing a pipe isn't the most complicated issue I'm having, although some help on which pipes would be good for a beginner that doesn't want to spend a lot of money on something I might not like.
The toughest question remains which pipe tobacco. I know my snuffs and snus but as far as combustible pipe tobacco is concerned I have no idea.

I was thinking an aromatic blend, since I fell in "love" with the smell of a particular pipe tobacco when I was working at a tobacconist. The name escapes me at this time.
I smoke pipes and collect glass pipes, so I'm not completely oblivious to smoking a pipe, it's more that I need recommendations for a good pipe(s) and different kinds of tobacco that would taste better than cigarettes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi, and welcome to the forums. :clap:

Briefly, most any Savinelli will do for a good briar pipe.

Tobacco: Prince Albert & Carter Hall are the so-called codger Burleys that many cigarette smokers use in transition.

You might also consider Sail Yellow, Skandinavik Regular, and Newminster Norway Cut as good transition smokes.

IMO, don't experiment with richly flavored pipe blends too soon. Look for descriptions that list Virginia, Burley & Oriental

tobacco leaf since that's close to the makeup of cigarettes.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Get yourself a straight billiard made by Stanwell from smokingpipesdotcom, and a tin of Dunhill's London Mixture. Clench the pipe between your teeth and learn how to sip and go slow. Patience is required but you'll be rewarded by a fine tobacco flavor, with a decent nicotine hit as well. Stanwells new go for well under a hundred. A straight billiard is recommended because they're easy to clean and won't gurgle. Then go to Amazon and get yourself a copy of Confessions of a Pipeman by Gary Schrier. Along with pipe cleaners, rubbing alcohol, paper towels, and a three piece Czeck tool, you'll be all set. By the way, welcome to the forums.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sunnyhours, as a new prospective pipe smoker, I'd like to start you off with a good inexpensive briar pipe,

and modest quantities of one aromatic and one non-aromatic bag each of bulk tobacco (this comes in

bags instead of tins), as you start out and find out what you like. If you find you are smoking enough to

need to "rest" your pipe, you can get two or three Missouri Meerschaum cobs. You'll get a bushel of pipe

recommendations, but one good briar is one of the three compact pipes available at Iwan Ries site, a house

pipe among those called Iwan Ries Exclusives. You can buy one for a mere $34 plus shipping, made by

Benton in the US. (You'll get many suggestions, but that's my 2 cents worth.) For tobacco, I'd suggest

Lane's Q-1 for an aromatic, and maybe Altadis Fox and Hound (a nice mild English) for a non-aromatic.

But you'll get many other suggestions from other members. Happy piping.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
My suggestion would be to start with a corncob pipe from Missouri Meershaum. https://corncobpipe.com/smokingpipes.html
The chief advantage is that cobs are very inexpensive and with a cob, you are able to taste the tobacco without it being influenced by the briar, which I believe is advantageous in deciding among the many various tobacco options available to you.
Then, you can get a decent briar pipe ... many of the sponsor companies here, including Pipes and Cigars, 4noggins, smokingpipes, et al have some pretty good briars at reasonable prices. You will then be able to work your way up from there, expanding your pipe collection into some of the really nice, but generally more expensive options on the market.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I agree with sf - Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe until you decide if pipe smoking is for you. They are inexpensive, forgiving, and have a variety of shapes.
Be sure you buy a MM instead of Chinese. After you decide, you can add a Forever stem from Walkers to make the pipe more permanent. Welcome and good luck!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
one good briar is one of the three compact pipes available at Iwan Ries site, a house

pipe among those called Iwan Ries Exclusives.
I have two IRC pipes, and they are solid smokers.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Although I occasionally enjoy the pleasures of a cob, owning about a dozen, in varying states of use, sometimes its good idea to invest in a decent briar pipe, even before you think you'll become a pipe smoker. The added financial investment in a pleasing piece of wood, will give you that added impetus to overcome the hump that invariably follows learning any new craft in life. Not putting out much up front may not conjure up the patience you will need to learn how to appreciate a good pipe. My first pipe in 1984 was a new Dunhill. I had no choice but to learn how to love it. Just saying.

sunnyhours

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
I was looking at spending around 50$ for a small start up kit.

The Iwan Ries are very nice looking for the price :)

I like the bent ones better.

But is there a reason why I shouldn't start with just a missouri meerschaum cob pipe?

Also, is there a difference between the compact and the billiard? What would be the pros and cons?
I'm kinda overwhelmed by all this, and it's not like I can ask a pipe smoker since I don't know anyone that smokes pipes (I'm 24...)

thanks again!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
There's a lot of options out there!
I'm a fan of anything Savinelli- they make good pipes for the money, check out smokingpipes.com
No, there's not a good reason not to start with a MISSOURI MEERSCHAUM cob (don't get anything else)- I'm not a cob guy but certainly you can learn to smoke there.
As for tobacco- well there's a world to explore but if you're interested in aromatics I'd recommend Lanes 1-Q or LL-7, as well as CAO Eileen's Dream.
Many pipers love aromatics and never leave them. Many, like me, find they smell good, but don't taste like much. So when you're willing to explore around, you may check out some other popular tobaccos, like McClelland Frog Morton Cellar, Dunhill 965, Escudo Navy Deluxe, MacBaren Rollcake.......do yourself a favor, start reading the tobacco sections of this forum and educate yourself on tobacco types.
One last thing: a pipe is what it is. It is not a cigar or cigarette, so don't expect the same experience in a different form. Its subtle, refined, and contemplative. Its an art form, and it takes time to learn and enjoy. Be patient.
Welcome, and happy smoking to you.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
No reason not to start with a Missouri Meerschaum cob. I'd recommend an easy-to-smoke non-aro, like Carter Hall or Prince Albert. The taste is not spectacular (but I quite like Carter Hall). It is a tobacco taste that will be somewhat familiar (but not the same as cigs). If you want to try an aromatic, then Lane 1Q is a good choice.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
...but there is the ritual and the "alone time" I find myself missing...

Welcome to the forum, sunnyhours. I think pipes may be just the thing for you.
I'd suggest you get two pipes if you can afford it. Since briars need time to dry you could smoke a cob on the briar's days off.
Just remember that different pipes will give you a different experience and different tobaccos will give you vastly different experience. Also what you experience will change greatly as you learn to pack and smoke your pipes. So no matter what you think of it when you first get started, know that there is much more to it if you stick with it for a while.
Happy smoking.

sunnyhours

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
Well actually I bought 3 MM's; Legend, Missouri Pride and Washington.

All 3 pipes for under 30$ shipped.

As for tobacco I'll go and see my tobacconist to see what he might suggest, although I reckon he's not too knowledgeable in Pipes, he's more into Cigars.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Good choice on the MM's, if you end up not liking it you didn't spend 50+ for a pipe. Remember what you smell and what you smoke will be two different experiences, so go with what you like the smell of. Get 1-2oz of the different blends (in the glass jars) you can get a few bowls from each, that way your still saving money. I don't know a lot about tins I bought one once (wish I still had the tin) that smell like a gym locker (not really but that was the first thing that popped in my head when I smelled it).
Good Luck and welcome to the forums.

sunnyhours

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
As far as tobacco goes I figured I'd be happier getting multiple blends of 1oz then just getting a full tin here in Canada.

So I ordered from SmokingPipes.com

McClelland Dark english full

Mac Baren 7 seas regular

Lane limited 1-Q

Lane Limited LL-7

Dunhill Nightcap

Dunhill 965

hopefully those are some good choices :)

Status
Not open for further replies.