PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
I have learned a lot from this forum...I have had good success with Everclear alcohol and Kosher salt treatments as well as polishing out heavy oxidized stems. Its something about bringing back an old pipe back to life that really satisfies me. All of these things I have learned from all of you.
I have started to get set up....I know I still have a lot to learn but I have got my 110V motor set up on my bench, 1/2 HP, 1725 rpm. I have also ordered the Beall 4" buffing kit. (think the 8" wheels are to big) Three flannel wheels, Tripoli, white diamond and Carnauba wax. Comes with the shaft adapter as well. Pretty nice set up for $49 I think.
I guess my main question is, and this is in regards to smooth pipes only, I know rusticated are a different animal. Pipes that I find at flea markets and antique stores will obviously need some work on the bowls. Fine sanding and re staining.
What are some of the common stains I need to be looking at? Is this a matter of preference or do I buff out clean areas and try to match the stain on the pipe? I have searched the forum and having trouble locating a topic on sanding and staining.
Any advice from all of experienced pipe restoring experts would be appreciated. Thanks.

May 31, 2012
I've learned so much from Steve Laug,

I mean invaluable info,

I'm so glad he's out there doing what he does and freely sharing all his hardwon knowledge on the subject.
His blog is massive and full of fine techniques I would have never thought of,

you can get lost all day exploring the blog,

it is chock-full of the good stuff...
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/
:puffy: :!: :puffy: :!: :puffy: :!:
Three cheers for Steve!

Status
Not open for further replies.