PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
This is a Bari Wiking estate I got from ebay. It's the first time I've heard the name and I haven't researched him yet. This thing is massive. I have fairly big hands and my entire thumb fits inside the bowl. I thought I'd show some pics and get some feedback on what type of new finish you all think would look good on it. I already started sanding with 600 grit paper. That's how I found the stamps on the shank. I didn't know they were there until I got sanding dust in them. It's hard to remove the finish evenly, so I'm debating taking it to bare wood. Thoughts? I like a contrasting tan and black or dark brown finish myself. Natural is good, but I like a stain more. Tell me what you think guys and girls.

img_0213-600x400.jpg

img_0218-600x400.jpg

img_0220-600x400.jpg

img_0219-600x400.jpg

img_0217-600x400.jpg

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That is a substantial piece of briar. Really like the Egg. I predict it will clean up nicely and it will be a treasure.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Gorgeous danish freehand style pipe. The finish didn't look too bad. Are you just changing it for stain practice or you wanted different colors?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@Sam Mostly because there were several sand like pieces of grit in the finish, like 10 or 12 of them that really screwed up the "feel" of the pipe. I tried starting very lightly in case the grit was right on the surface, but it was deep in, to the point I was seeing the wood when it was smooth again.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Whatever route you take to restoring this pipe it will still look great. The shape and the grain compliment each other very well, along with the plateau rim and shank. This is just a stunning pipe.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Made some progress. The new scale says it weighs 156gm or 5.5oz. There's not much on Bari on Pipedia. Anybody have anymore on them?

img_0223-600x400.jpg

img_0222-600x400.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
WOW you weren't kidding....that pipe is huge!

I like your idea of going with a contrast stain. I think the grain I see in the first few pics will wear that finish quite nicely. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know Wiking, but I received a new Bari from my late wife's aunt one Christmas, a traditional bent billiard, smooth, dark stain, and it is a magnificent pipe, solid, great smoker, durable, perfectly drilled. This pipe is now about forty years old.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
One of my favorite pipes is a Bari mini Dublin. I don't know anything about the company but mine is sweet and yours is even nicer.
I think Wiking is the European spelling of Viking. Like how Vienna over the pond is spelled Wiener.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
See Viggo Nielsen, from Fine Pipes International,
Viggo was one of the original post-war Danish pipe makers. Never part of the Copenhagen scene, he developed his own personal style which is bold yet refined, distinctly masculine, and shows mastery of his materials and methods. For a period, he operated a large and successful pipe factory, called "Bari," whose products were widely sold in the US and Europe; but when Bari closed, Viggo returned to his roots as a hand carver. His two sons Kai and Jorgen are talented pipe makers in their own right.
and also,
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen,_Viggo
Pipe looks nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.