PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
So what are some aromatics that have strong tastes of the flavoring they're supposed to have? I've been told if one really wants some in your face maple that autumn evening is the way to go( then I've also read reviews that it's very subtle) I know its all subjective to each smoker. But from your experience what are some aromatics that taste like they are titled? Vanilla, coffe, whiskey, etc.. I really like aros but want to find one with strong flavoring.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I dabbled in aromatics in the summer of 2012, I smoked a bunch of Boswell aro's and they all tasted like they smelt. I would try a few of those.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sutliff's Molto Dolce, that one has a very heavy top dressing on it and tastes just like it smells.
To me the McClelland Premium Aromatic line all were good blends and the top dressing came through rather pronounced.
If you haven't had Lane's 1Q yet then I'd highly recommend it. The vanilla top dressing comes through quite nicely and the room note is a heavenly scent of roasting marshmallows. BCA and RLP-6 are also by Lane and have nice top dressings which come through rather prominently to me.
As far as cherry blends go I'd suggest Lane's Very Cherry (the very indicates how much the top dressing comes through) and TK-6 Match as well as Mac Baren's 7 Seas Red and Peter Stokkebye's Cherry Bon Bon. I've heard Tewkesbury's Hobbits Weed is a good cherry as well as Cult's Blood Red Moon. Be ware though, cherry blends will ghost the daylights out of a briar. It's highly recommended to either try them in a cob or dedicate a briar to them.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys. I've heard good about boswell and this payday I'm ordering their Aromatic sampler pack. And I havnt been able to find molto dolce in stock anywhere yet

Newminsters Blackberry Brandy is a strongly flavored aromatic. Too strong for me, like a candle burning. I mix it with some Firedance flake to give it strength in nicotine and to tone down the flavor. Firedance is supposed to be an aromatic flake by itself, but to me it misses the mark. But mixed in this way makes for an awesome smoke.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
I just ordered molto dolce from smoking pipes.com and got a free tin of sutliff maple street as well

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
*Smacks Self Upsie Head*
Can't believe I forgot to mention Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake. I prefer the flake to the loose cut, I think the flake has a richer more intense flavor both from the tobacco and the vanilla cream top dressing.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Molto Dolce is a good choice for heavy aromatic. If you got more than a few tins of it, put one away for 6 months and it will still have the same room note but without the excessive sweetness of the fresh tins. More of a Molto Dolce Medio!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you got more than a few tins of it, put one away for 6 months and it will still have the same room note but without the excessive sweetness of the fresh tins. More of a Molto Dolce Medio!
That's very true. The tin I just cracked of it is about two years old and it's much more mellow than the tin I had fresh two years ago. One I bought the other was included with a SmokingPipes.Com order.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
If you want heavy, my brother, get a hold of some Lakelands, e.g. Ennerdale, Grousemoor. My favorite is Bob's Chocolate Flake.
Perhaps the most pleasant blend I've tried that is technically an aro, is Russ Oullette's Classic Burley Kake.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I bought 10 tins of Molto Dolce from P&C last month. It had to come in 2 orders. Based on reviews here on the threads it is very popular with many aro smokers.

The aromatics lorofthepipering suggested are all good to me and I would add Sutliff Vanilla Custard, as well. Russ Ouellette has a

blend called Snowdrift that is also good.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Tastemaster from McClelland taste like chocolate... Pretty dang good if you ask me. Boswells as mentioned. And the MacBaren vanilla cream flake is top notch. In my opinion it's the best vanilla out there.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
When I first started smoking a pipe, I was also trying to look for aromatics that "taste like they are titled" and have "taste that they are supposed to have". I was greatly disappointed, and eventually have understood that Vanilla ice-cream and Vanilla pudding tastes more Vanilla, then how a tobacco blend can taste like Vanilla - and of course one can drink a cup of Espresso and sip some real Whiskey. All decent aromatics pipe tobaccos taste mostly tobacco, while Hookah / Shisha tobaccos are super mild and taste just the flavor.
Stanwell Melange has a consistent solid presence of aromatics flavor throughout the bowl. If you also enjoy high quality Virginia and Cavendish I highly recommend blends from W.O. Larsen, e.g. Belle époque and Indigo. Tobaccoreviews.com entries for W.O. Larsen's blend do not truly do justice for the quality of their tobacco. For example, when Belle époque was repacked and remarketed as Peterson's 2015 St. Patrick's Day blend, all people were eager to try it out and most of them gave it a 4 stars.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I also recommend MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake, and anything from Boswell's. their Chocolate Cream tastes great

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
Going to blame this thread for an impulse order of Molto Dolce, vanilla cream flake, 1Q and the free sample of Maple Street... damn TAD enablers! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.