PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I thought maybe I should post this in the "newbie" forum first, since I'm going to reveal my ignorance again. But it's really, really old ignorance. Newbies have enough to think about over there.
Know how we talk so much about finding "The One," the tobacco that is *our* tobacco, made just right for our DNA and environmental acculturation? We try one, and because it doesn't unseat our favorite, mention all the ways it let us down.
What happens to our pipe tobacco experience if we flip that end for end? What if we learned to smoke this or that tobacco, and they were *all* ours?
If I ever smoke something I don't like, I think I'm going to take that as a challenge, find out how to like it. (Okay. There is this *one* I'm having trouble with. But I'm smoking it *anyway*).
I was thinking of this because of what I just learned comparing two whiskey-flavored blends. I was made conscious of how I "learned" to smoke Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, and was proud of my achievement. I could get from it what it was meant to be, find those things about it that other people liked, and enjoy them for myself, too.
Then I sampled Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey. I think I appreciated it so much because I had had the experience with Borkum Riff.
Now, I favor EGB over BR, but I can go *back* to BR. I can still "milk" it for what I want out of it. I know what's there, and I know the combination to its safe.
I *know* there are more sophisticated tobaccos, just as there are sophisticated wines. (Company I work for also is a major vineyard -- they talk about wines and sample wines here like you wouldn't believe.)
I know how different one single malt scotch is from another. But you know what? I don't drink $175 single malts every day. Have to keep it under $80, and then that one's for special occasions.
My daily drink is common old Jack Daniels No. 7. Oftentimes (god forbid!) it's in Diet Coke. Or (no screams, please), I drink BV in my Diet Coke.
I like the taste just fine. I really like the effect just fine. And the experience of the drink is whatever I make it out to be. I can be in my backyard having a social moment with the squirrels with any of the above drinks.
-- Or any of the above tobaccos.
And if I see Captain Black, he's an old friend. I will smoke him. My Argosy, oh that's a lifelong buddy, my low-maintenance childhood bud who catches up with me after 25 years as if we just stole apples and broke the neighbor's garage window with a carelessly thrown baseball yesterday.
I used to have a grudge against Borkum Riff. But hell. We're old now! We made up. I give him his space, and he entertains me with his grouchy old man routine. He makes me grin a little, mostly because I "get him" when so many others wave their hands at him in disgust and walk away.
Crown Achievement only visits me on Sundays after Mass these days. Holy smokes, both of us, finely dressed and in a stained glass mood.
Comoy Cask No. 1 speaks with a slight accent, giving me just a hint of latakia, speaking in so soft a voice that he never fails to calm me down, remind me not to sweat the small stuff.
And so on and so on... So many more to meet yet. I want to like them all. If you like them, I want to know why. If you can get along with them, let me try. I want to know how.
Of the ones I myself am already familiar with, I know which ones to be careful with and which ones are happy-go-lucky. I have learned one wants to be packed tight, the other loosely filled. One needs just a spark to get started, the other needs constant attention and reassurance (annoying, but I like him anyway).
I have learned one doesn't like the wide, fat bowl of my house pot. Another likes it best.
One I can just be rough with and fool around, in a mood for horseplay. Forgiving and easy. Another will slap my mouth unless I keep my nonsense in check.
Favorite?
How can you have just one? Maybe you don't want a visit every night from this one or that one, but you don't want to lose any of them, right?
And if only one person in the whole world could meet your requirements for a friendship, then is that a comment on people in general, or on you?
I'll be judged by the friends I keep, probably. But I'll have friends. The more the merrier. Each one relating to me in his own way, and me responding in that way unique to the two us and not really to any other.
I'll match myself to the tobacco rather than demanding it match me.
(For now. I might outgrow this, too, by next week. Who knows. I'm old and fickle. It's my right).

Mar 1, 2014
Billy Budd, Orion's Arrow, and a jar full of brown ropes are my "project tobacco" blends. I have a feeling it's going to take a long time before I get to know Billy, but I enjoy a good challenge (If I didn't I would have given up after my first bowl).

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for this, 12pups. I've said similar things about my belief that there's value in approaching blends not to "fall in love" with them but to simply understand them, get a deep, educated sense of what's in them, how to approach them. And, in the process, educate our taste buds and expand our palates. This was my approach in revisiting the Lakeland style after 30+ years. I wasn't expecting to actually like them; I just wanted to explore them. In the process, I found two out of three Lakeland blends that really resonated with me. One has become a new favorite.
I do still have the one tobacco that sings to me like no other: Penzance. But I also love maybe a half-dozen other blends in entirely different styles. And I can enjoy even more: I have over 100 different blends in the cellar that I really like.
That said, I can't enjoy a blend I don't respect. And I don't respect blends that put flavors/additives ahead of quality leaf. Or that claim to be one thing on the tin but turn out to be something else entirely when you actually smoke it.
Bob

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
This is just my experience, but perhaps you just haven't found "thee one" yet. You see, I have. And it's not necessarily a good thing. Only this "one" is an extraordinary smoke for me, while all others are merely superb or great. I even smoke a few that are just good.
In case you're wondering, the "one" for me is Condor Ready Rubbed, and I'm smoking a bowl right now. I also like Condor Plug, possibly even better, but prefer the RR for ease of use and they taste about the same, even if the plug smokes slower.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I understand what you're saying 12pups.
Before I started ordering tobacco, I had to rely on the meager offerings of my semi-local B&M (Which is now being converted into a pizzeria). The only non-Lane aromatic's they carried were Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, and PS English Oriental Supreme. I started smoking those two, and it was probably a couple years before I tried any other Virginia or English blends, so I had to kind of learn how to enjoy those two tobaccos. Even now, while there are flakes a prefer over LNF, there are none that I'm more comfortable with.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
bryanf --- See what you just did? Now I have to go try that one. A part of me is asking, "What's that guy get out of that?" And... "Will it work for me, too?"
lostandfound --- At lunch I chose Nightcap. I figured, hey, haven't picked that up for a bit, and it's a poetic match, since I'm going to close my eyes on this rainy day and pretend I'm sleeping till the horn blows and I have to go back to my cubicle inside. I was almost disappointed that it was so good. Smelled good, filled easy, charred nice, lit well.... Never went out. Never burned my tongue. Had a lovely light taste.
You couldn't screw up smoking this tobacco! DAMN it. An idiot could make this work.
(And he did).
:)

Mar 1, 2014
So much for having Orion's Arrow on my "project" list. One bowl and I love the stuff. It's no SJF or Labrador but as far as tobacco goes I didn't find much not to like about it. Glad I got 4oz instead of 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.