Inspecting new Peterson - What to look for?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello ladies and gents!
hope you all are doing well in cold weather.
For me, PAD is getting worse and worse. Because holiday season is on its way, I can resolve any inner voice that persuades me not to get a pipe. "Kudos to you for working hard and get a good grade on that hard exam! Let me reward you with a new Peterson pipe, which will be an early Christmas present"
My friend, who introduced me to pipe smoking, told me that pipe smoking is not addictive. Well, he (and non-smokers) is only half right, pipe SMOKING is not addictive but pipe/tobacco collecting is... Maybe he said so, as he does not seem to be affected by PAD nor TAD.
Anyways,

I have read many unfortunate reviews on Peterson pipes like how Quality Control has gotten worse. It is getting better but still not as good as few decades ago. But on the good side, I have read that some Peterson, even the most recent ones, smoke great. I have always wanted to try Peterson. I also wanted to try older, estate Peterson, which are likely to be a great smoker, but I prefer Acrylic over Vulcanite. :cry:
So I pulled the trigger and got it. It is Sherlock Army Mount (87).
Reading the posts on forums, I have read that many people said how it is very important to double, triple check the pipe condition before you keep it. But as a newbie, all I know right now is pipe cleaner test, whistle test, and general appearance check.
1) It easily passes PC test as it is a straight army mount pipe.

2) Failed the whistle test.

3) Appearances... couple things.

On the rim, there seems to be some stain that stick onto the rim when pipe-makers were coating the chamber.

3-1) The painting (?) on the "P" logo on the stem. They are not well painted. (ie. not completely covered) Also, on the Sterling Silver area, where they mark Peterson of Dublin. Are these words supposed to be coated in black as well? Well, they look like, Peterson painted it and paint came off through the course of time. Even though pipe's condition new, it looks like it was used.
Are they "normal"?
4) But I love the grain. It is remarkable!! I don't mind the fills at all.
5) Overall, lovely pipe! (well, I think so far ... but not sure yet)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What other things should I be looking to determine if it will be a keeper? (as other experienced smokers have suggested to double, triple check a pipe)
Please, if you would, feel free to leave your thoughts.

Thank you.

Jan 8, 2013
I would make sure the draft wasn't drilled too high or too low, or too far to either side. My Petes for the most part are all just about perfect, but I do have one that's drilled a little to the side. However it still smokes well, but I've heard of this causing problems with others.
Also, I don't think I've seen a Peterson where the "Peterson Of Dublin" mark was coated in black. And the "P" logo is shodily painted. And I think you're saying bowl coating was on the rim? That's pretty shoddy too. I would actually be concerned, with all those mistakes, after spending my hard earned money. My luck with Peterson has been great so far. But it is kind of hard to ignore all the complaints. Still, with the number of pipes they turn out, there's likely going to be some bad apples here and there. Doesn't change the fact though that it's your hard earned money.
Pictures would help if you could post them.

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
Warning: before you start modifying/fixing your pipes, take into account that once you have changed something to your pipe (with or without success) your dealer will probably not take it back in case the problem persists
As far as defects you can distinguish two types:
Functional defects which have an impact on your smoking experience - some common examples:
Drilling, except for opening the draw(see remark above) you can not easily change this. The pipe cleaner test is a good indication.

Fit of stem : given that it's an army mount this will not be an issue, but a fit that's not too loose or tight is important for the maintenance of your pipe

Dip-staining of the bowl(typical Peterson problem): this can be removed with some alcohol or sanding ( see remark on top). I would also add before you get anywhere near the bowl of a Peterson with any kind of alcohol to be VERY careful as most of their stains are alcohol based and you might ruin the outside of your pipe. If you do not want to remove it the inner stain, it takes a few dozen smokes(with red-stained pipe-cleaners after each smoke) to remove it
Esthetic defects which only hurt the eyes, not so much your tongue or mouth:

For high end Petersons this should not be an issue and I still have to discover my first Peterson with these kind of problems, but the posts of some show the contrary --> so inspect your pipe before buying it

Typical Peterson issues could be:

Pre-carbonization overflowing the bowl: can sometimes be removed with some elbow-grease and wet cloth. Alcohol or light sanding will probably also remove some of the stain on top of your pipe

Flaky P on the stem: if the imprint is good can be corrected with a white marker/correction liquid (the stuff you use to cover some errors when things were actually written on paper - spills can easily be wiped off)

Flaky Stamping: not fixable

Fills: not fixable (the fills are a fix in fact :))

Markings on the Sterling: they are not painted but will tarnish a bit(as you don't handle these things as much as the band). With some polish you can remove the color completely or with carefully polishing the other areas and leaving the letters unpolished they will all have the same color in time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With Peterson's I've just been a happy fool, like Mr. Magoo. All of mine were bought new and none of them has shown intrinsic defects. Finishes have proven durable. None carried noticeable stain or other finish in the airway. If there are fills, they are well disguised. They are sturdy, dependable, and inviting smokers. I bought the last one about four years ago; the rest go back a few years more than that. I think people are wise to consider the quality control problem reports in buying Petes, but their appeal and mostly good products are what keep people interested despite some complaints. Still, I admit, my purchases have not included additional Petes.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
+1 mso489
The folks at Peterson slipped a few fills past me on a recent Kenmare 408 I purchased.
For some reason, in the six weeks or so since purchased, I never really studied it in detail, and when I did (just last night)I noticed a rather large, but well disguised fill, then two other even smaller ones...
I really like this pipe, and it has become a regular in my rotation.

So, to me...no big deal, but I will be more careful next time.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Thank you all for your thoughts.

I got it from Smokingpipes.com
To me, it seems to be almost dead center. Slightly bit off to the right but... not bad.

The stain on the rim looks like this

I could not get the sterling silver as it reflects the light off and nothing can be seen.

But the "P" on the stem is not completely colored in.

Small, mostly aesthetic issues...

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I only have one Pete, an Irish Harp, and it is an excellent pipe. Smokingpipes.com has great customer service. I would send it back if I were you. They can send you a replacement without the issues you have on this one.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Although minor, this is your pipe, your new pipe. I'd contact Smoking Pipes. I'm sure they'll want to exchange. I'd deal with most of those issues, but the precarbon on the rim sucks. That really ruins the aesthetic of a new pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I only have 2 Pete's; one I like OK (Irish Harp bent bulldog) and one I hate (Stirling Silver billiard with a P lip). I recently went to a pipe show and seriously considered a Rosslare bent bulldog. Didn't pass a pipe cleaner and upon inspection the drilling was way off center. The other 6 I looked at were poorly drilled as well.

The distributor rep for Peterson was there and I pointed out the failings of the pipes on hand. He just shrugged and sat down. He cared more about the cigars he carries.

I really like the lines of Peterson pipes and it killed me to pass on the $200 bulldog but I've crossed Peterson off my list. There are way better pipes for the same money and I find that to be a pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.