PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Well, when you can't sleep at 2 AM, and it is a cool, breezy night with clear stars, nothing better to do then to try Penzance for the first time, in a perfectly smoking bowl of a Poul Winslow. That was intense.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
That sounds great! I'm an insomniac too and there's been times where I have sat in the backyard and watched the sun come up. Sounds like I should try the Penzance ...maybe I'd fall asleep in the patio chair :D

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Anytime is a good time to try "Penzance" for the first time or any other number of times..... :puffy:

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I have my bouts with insomnia from time to time, thankfully it's been awhile.
When I get in those phases is when I want something a little sweeter for some reason. Dan's Blue Note used to be a great choice for those nights.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have to take medicine to sleep at night or I will gravitate to being awake all night and sleeping during the day. I have a bass ackward internal clock. I find it helps to have a "going to bed" ritual. Just like when you were a kid. It helps your body gear down and relax. Meditation is helpful, too

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I have to take medicine to sleep at night or I will gravitate to being awake all night and sleeping during the day. I have a bass ackward internal clock. I find it helps to have a "going to bed" ritual. Just like when you were a kid. It helps your body gear down and relax. Meditation is helpful, too
Sex is usually the best medicine to put you to sleep quickly. :nana:

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I have never tried Penzance yet but I agree there is no better time to enjoy a pipe then in the middle of a quiet night.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Sex is usually the best medicine to put you to sleep quickly.
I'd like to add that Sex is usually the best medicine for "Everything"........

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
having tried both penzance AND sex, the choice is clear. gladly be without penzance, but God help me (and all of us) should the other stuff ever be out-of-stock! jr/john

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You must be young in your marriage if you think sex is going to happen every night. :D
I go thru bouts of insomnia as well. I work 2nd shift and absolutely love it. Get to sleep until noon and get to work at 3 PM. By 10:00 or so the yawns hit, but by the time I get home my second wind arrives as well. I usually crash around 4 or 5. Unfortunately, it is not a restful sleep, constantly being awaken by the dogs or the wife getting ready for work. I found my best sleep comes from around 9 AM to 11 AM.
Michael

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Hate to break it to everyone but nic is a stimulant, you might want to avoid smoking about four hours before bed if you find you can't sleep. You would be surprised by the amount of people I get at the sleep lab who say they have insomnia but when they don't smoke, turn off the tv and have a night away from the kids boom, sleep disorder is gone. All the time I get * I don't know what you did but that was the best nigh sleep I have gotten in years!* when all I do is tell them not to smoke before we start the sleep study xD

Jul 15, 2011
While nicotine may be a stimulant, I find that the actual act of smoking helps to calm me down. My pipe is my "me" time, and I can sit and do something with my hands and watch TV and not think about all the things and people at work that I want to bash with a hammer :mrgreen:
Ive also found that smoking a pipe along with a couple of toots of snuff followed by a good beer makes a great night cap. Since I've been doing this routine Ive been sleeping better than I have in years. I used to just use whiskey or tequila to fall asleep but I dont touch the hard stuff anymore.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Sex is great, but doing at 03.30 is difficult without waking my other half up - still, I persevere.
Interesting point Pipe Novelist, about nicotine being a stimulant, because I find it puts me to sleep too. Unfortunately (and I'm not kidding here) my wife's nose is soooo sensitive that if I go into the garden to smoke the smell going through the UPSTAIRS window wakes her up. If I smoke in my downstairs office she can smell it coming up through the floor, and anywhere else is verboten. She's make a bloody good smoke alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.