PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm looking for a pipe to carry daily, smoke often (3 to 4 bowls a day), and I'm not to worried about how "pretty" it is. Right now I carry 2 to 3 briars and going to job sites and such I know its only time before I lose one. I'm looking at a meerschaum from the local shop, curved billiard shape, no carving or decoration. I'm not overly concerned with how it colors and such. I'm not rough on my pipes so not overly worried about how fragile it is. Would this be a good choice or would I be better off ordering a Falcon with maybe 2 meerschaum lined bowls? What do you folks think?

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Falcon with 2 bowls. If you don't mind clean up you can get some good pipe deals on the bay and acquire your bowls that way, or watch the buy/sell/trade.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I would recommend a MM cob, they're cheap and smoke great! If you lose it it's no big deal, if it breaks it was $9. They have loads of shapes and sizes, the pony express would be a good model if you don't have a lot of time for smokes and it's small and easy to carry. I have a Great Dane Egg myself, I love it best $9 I ever spent. They smoke cool and they are cheap.
Sincerely,

Shayde

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you're going from job site to job site, why not look into a couple of corn cobs? They are great smokers, inexpensive, and more durable than a meerschaum. I try to keep a couple of cobs on hand for camping and yard work!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I would recommend a MM cob, they're cheap and smoke great!

I bought one a MM cob the other day and sorry to say its just not for me. Smoked nice and I'll use it again but out and about it's just not for me.

If you don't mind clean up you can get some good pipe deals on the bay

Had some bad dealings on ebay so would probably just order new and save the hassle. Would you suggest regular bowls or the meerschaun lined?

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Grab an African meer from e-bay. All the benefits of a meer, and a lot more durable. I picked up a nice African block meer the other week for $13.00. Smokes like a champ.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I second the Falcon, especially since you ruled out the cob. Cheap, easy to pack & durable. Google meer lined bowls and you'll find different opinions.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
If not a MM you could try an estate. A member on here named Shaintiques is selling a few estates, actually they're a lot of people selling estates on the buy/sell/trade section. I've only ever done business with Dave (Shaintiques) but he definitely took care of me and I would definitely recommend buying a pipe from him even if it is just as a "beater". If you don't like estates I'm out of ideas haha

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm fine with estates as most of my finer briars are estates but I'm following the rules and that means no buy/sell section for me for 100 posts and 4 months..... I don't want Lawrence or his mustache pissed at me. lol

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've been retired for many years now..When I did work though I loved Falcons.They're lite weight and easy to carry.Back in those days they sold new for under $15.If something happened to one I just bought a new one,and kept the old bowl.Unless I lost the whole pipe of course.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Much has to do with budget, but smoking preference too.
I think if you spend most of your time in the truck or on job sites then best investment would be something of better quality. Beat it up and maybe have a separate "work" rotation of few you could let rest.
No harm in a couple blemmed restored smokers. Your worth it. I see the argument of the cobs, but agree. They aren't for me either.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I thought you had to have 100 to post a thread, if you have to have atleast 100 and be a member for 4 months to buy a pipe...then I'm a rule breaker...crap lol. My bad y'all.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I think if you spend most of your time in the truck or on job sites then best investment would be something of better quality. Beat it up and maybe have a separate "work" rotation of few you could let rest.

I already have several nice petersons and chacoms and a few others. I'm trying to get away from carrying several pipes cause when it hits -40 here leaving them in the truck isn't really and option and pretty soon I'll need to carry a backpack to carry all my pipe stuff.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If you don't like the MM cobs, check out their Ozark Hardwoods line or their Maple line. I have a couple of their Ozarks, and once you smoke the wood taste out of the ( 3-5 bowls) they're great little work pipes! I've never noticed any ghosting problems either. I use them for beaters, and smoke all kinds of blends in them.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Take a look at Neatpipes website as he has deals on Weds. the Chubby AEROBilliard is a Calabash inside system, they will carry them in Morta as well on occasion and Morta is one type of media that takes well to repetitive smokes as long as the pipe has cooled and the Calabash inside system is easy to care for needing only a light swabbing now and again. Meerschaum pipes do not like cold weather as they can fracture so I would steer away from them for job to job if it means going from a warm vehicle, bldg etc to a cold outdoor setting. As others have suggested the Falcon is a good alternative with a second bowl, best of luck.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
How about a Dr. Grabow? I have one that I keep in my truck all the time. And, with the plastic stem you don't have to worry about the stem oxidizing or the pipe being in a hot truck in the summer or the sunlight.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Peterson 317. I've smoked mine every single day up to 10 bowls per day without a single days rest since I bought it in may. Clean it only once per day. Have reamed it several times. Never has given me a wet smoke or any trouble at all. I remove stem after each smoke, dump out the juice from the system well, and carry it broken down in my pocket. Best pipe to ever happen to me. Now my other 7 pipes don't get much attention because they can only handle one or two bowls a day without needing a rest or the second or third bowl is a wet smoke.
I smoke wet flakes, never dry my baccy and always get a dry smoke out of it. At night I run a paper towel to clean the system well, and 1 or 2 pipe cleaners, but I've gone several days before without a cleaner, and just my pipe tool. All the moisture goes into the trap.
Sound good? It is. Not very exciting though...as I have become a one pipe smoker, and TAD is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.