PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the recommended formats here on Forums is to use all initial capital letters in the titles of threads.

Sometimes members do that, and other times not. I think it dresses up the thread. I hope it also makes

the author think a little about the title and encourages him/her to make it representative of the subject.

Some of the resistance to this request for initial caps I surmise is waning newspaper readership. People

born during or before 1965 grew up reading newspapers where the use of initial caps in headlines was

pretty universal. The web generations, and the tweet generations, have lost this association. Lower case

is everywhere, even when it is not helpful. I like the good old fashioned initial caps. They say to the reader,

this is the title, this is the subject, something good is about to be said, good information or an intriguing

question. Get ready!

May 31, 2012
even though my forum moniker is misterlowercase,

I Always Remember To Upper Case My Thread Titles.
Notice how easy to read the Caps above are,

whencomparedtoalllowercase?
You're right,

it dresses everything up,

and adds legibility.
:!:
It takes a lot of time and effort on the mods to run around correcting all the faulty titles,

not to mention stress and frustration.
Please everyone,

let's show we respect this venue.
It deserves our highest honor.
:puffy:

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Besides the readability of proper titles, I think the rule also helps maintain a degree of civility not found on most other forums. Well suited to our relaxing and zen-like hobby.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I looked at the title and initial post in this thread then wondered, why there'd been no mention of a famous number nine ... my initial reaction when seeing "Famous Number 9" in the thread title had been Ted Williams ?? ... if not Ted, perhaps Roger Maris ... not likely to be Reggie Jackson, even though the A's retired number 9 for him (that having been his number before becoming a Yankee) because he wasn't famous as #9 but #44 ...
And, if not baseball, perhaps hockey ... could Gordie Howe or Bobby Hull be the Famous Number 9 that mso489 had in mind when giving a title to this thread ???
At this point in my thoughts, the proverbial light went on ... DUH!!!
Well, I suppose that in some circles, Rule #9 IS famous, even though it's no Ted Williams ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sfsteves, I guess my headline wasn't all that coherent to you. Mostly rule number nine in the Forums guidelines is about

using standard English and punctuation, but also includes requesting use of initial caps in titles of threads. When people

are not doing so, the reminder is often just "Number nine!" I did enjoy the sports greats parade, whatever their numbers were.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a mod, I'm guilty of missing this rule when reading the forums. Tonight, I see a few that need fixed....

I grow weary of adding dates to Buy/Sell/Trade ads....

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I absolutely approve of initial caps in thread titles - easier to read when scanning the thread list.
I need to ask because I've wondered since registering - and mods, please don't take this as protest, just curiosity - why are user names required to be all lower case? To my eyes, GrouchyDog is easier than grouchydog...

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I only recently noticed rule number 9 myself... I guess I'm guilty of not capitalizing the title of my posts.. oops! :oops:
I too have wondered why usernames are lowercase..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Must be at least 4 characters, letters and numbers only. It cannot be changed so choose carefully!
That is the only thing that I see on screen names. Perhaps it automatically makes all the character lower-case or did most of us not use Capital letters? (rule breakers!) Scanning down thru the screennames, on the active threads list only Kevin, Durham and William have capital letters in their names.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Capitalizing The Title Of Articles, Books, Magazine Ads, Newspaper Classifieds, And Etc. Is Basic Third Grade English Class 101. It Is Quite Sad, The State Of Emergency Public School Education Is In These Days. In Some Schools, They Aren't Even Teaching Kids How To Write In Cursive Anymore. Shame, Shame, Shame.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I think it does automatically convert user names to lower - I remember being somewhat surprised when mine came out "grouchydog".

Status
Not open for further replies.