PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
Hi all,
I recently acquired my late grandfather's pipe collection. There are about 24 or so. I don't myself smoke, but the smell of pipe tobacco reminds me of him and the pipes themselves are beautiful works of wood working, so I plan on displaying them.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some general pointers on preserving the wood. My grandfather passed away about 15 years ago, and since then they have sat idle, collecting a lot of dust.
The specific pipes I have acquired so far have the following makers/marks on them:
(1) "Preben Holm Fancy 7(?)00" with "Hand made in Denmark" and a W below that

(2) "Colossal" and "Algerian Briar" and "France" on opposite sides

(3) "Jobey" and 115

(4) "Jobey" Shellmoor Extra

(5) "Celius" and "Fancy" and Denmark

(6) "Prodigy" and "Supergrain" and London, England
I will post the marks for the other pipes when I get them later this evening. Thanks so much for the information/advice!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Briar pipes are incredibly durable, and yours may just need a wiping off with a soft cloth. If you are looking for a full restoration, you could contact Mike Meyers at Walker Briar Works, but briar really needs nothing to preserve it. This KB&B with an amber stem was made in the early 1900's, and is just as lovely as the day it was made.
img_20160629_123205-600x337.jpg

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
One thing I have noticed is that - since he used these pipes - there is soot/charring/not sure what you call it IN the pipe. Is it damaging (or has it already damaged) the pipe such that I should remove it? I am worried about them losing their "scent," but if it is good for the pipe, I can do it (assuming there is a good way to do so after 15 years)...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
It's a carbon layer that is called by most "cake". It prevents fire and heat damage to the briar, and some attribute it to drying the smoke. To remove it from the rim, rub a bead of coffee or saliva around the rim and wipe with a soft cloth. This can take a few applications, but does a great job of removing it. As for the cake in the bowl, I would leave it, unless you wish to smoke them, then it just needs to be reamed back, but not necessarily completely removed.

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks for the info! I'll post some pictures this evening of the set. I really admire the craftsmanship that went into these.
Apparently he also had a number of pipes that were made out of white stone, not wood. My grandmother still has those, but they look like something out of ancient Greece!

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
The other pipes he had:
(1) a "Ben Wade Amber"

(2) a "Ben Wade Golden Matt"

(3) a "Preben Holm" "Chesnut" with a "W" mark

(4) a "Sven Lar" "CC"

(5) a "Krona"

(6) a "Butz Choquin" (sp?) "Marigny"

(7) "Charatan's Make" "Distinction" "De Luxe"

(8) "Danish Pride by Ben Wade"

(9) "Danish Pride by Ben Wade" and "B7"

(10) "Jobey Danski" and "3"

(11) "Preben Holm" "Fancy" "700" and "W"

(12) "Erik Nording" and "5"

(13) "Preben Holm" "Fancy" "100" and "C5"

(14) one without identifying mark, but it says "Imported Briar" and has a sterling silver ring at the place where the stem is inserted

(15) one made in England but with a mark in quotation marks I can't quite make out - I think it ends in Squire

(16) one simply marked "André" in script

(17) "Benner" and "1"
I will post some pictures shortly - if any of these are particularly "special" I would love to know it, so I could display it accordingly!

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
Lets see if these work.
First, these are the ones with "Ben Wade" somewhere on them:
413753201.jpg

Second, these are the ones with "Preben Holm" on them somewhere:
413753199.jpg

Finally, these are the rest, with the three "Jobey" ones on the left:
413753202.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This may help. Look forward to viewing your cache!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Now that is a beautiful collection! :clap: You may want to get a Savinelli cloth to wipe them down with, and display them with pride!
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=100766

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks! I will order one of those cloths tonight! He had them on a three level rack, which I now have, so that is how I will display them. The ends still have his teeth marks in them, so it really feels like a nice connection to him.

Jan 8, 2013
All those Danish beauties! :clap: I applaud you for deciding to keep them instead of selling them off. I understand you don't smoke, but if you decide to take it up someday, you've got a wonderful collection to begin with. Your grandfather had great taste.

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
What shocks me is my grandmother has now informed me this is but a small portion of his collection. His entire collection was apparently split into thirds, with one part going to each of his three kids (my mom gave me the ones she got).
He had a LOT of pipes!

ndlaw

Lurker
Jan 28, 2018
I have been googling the various manufacturers. It is amazing the long, twisting stories some of these companies have!
This is going to sound like an insanely stupid question: when these pipes say hand made, does that mean they were literally carved, by hand, out of a single piece of wood? These really seem like works of art...

Status
Not open for further replies.