PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Been smoking a pipe for over a decade now and spent most of the time inhaling. Not every puff, but a good many.
Lately I was sidelined by a chest cold and general nastiness around the head and didn't bother smoking for a week or so. Came back to the pipe when it cleared up and haven't inhaled since. The difference is incredible. I've always noticed a difference between blends, and enjoyed them, but without inhaling, it is much more pronounced. I had the urge to inhale a few times, but resisted and now it seems to be gone for good.
I'm not worried about the health. I keep myself in very good shape with a lot of sport, so for me, it is more of a flavour issue. Also, I find myself smoking a lot less, but enjoying it so much more. Not as much as a slave to the pipe as I was before. Now I choose when to fill up a bowl and dedicate some time to relaxation, rather than trying to squeeze in a nicotine fix.
I think inhaling pipe smoke, from my experience, gave me a very similar experience to cigarettes, as far as addiction goes. Not quite as strong, but still noticeable. Now that I'm not inhaling, it feels like being liberated and the enjoyment went up about 50 notches. It's like night and day to me. Anyone else go through this phase and wonder what in the hell they were doing sucking this stuff into their lungs for so long?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome to the Forums, unadopted!
Actually, I think inhaling is pretty rare among pipe smokers. As you discovered, it dramatically reduces the amount of flavor you're able to perceive during a smoke.
Bob

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
It's not only the flavour that was reduced, but the whole experience as well. Of course, it was pretty good before, otherwise I wouldn't have kept up with the pipe for so long. I went from around 6-8 bowls a day to 2, maybe 3 if I'm not very busy.

Before, I probably would have thought that I would be missing those extra 3-5 bowls a day, but not having them makes the ones I do have really stand out. Also, since each bowl lasts for about a half hour minimum, an hour of smoking is definitely long enough for me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience of being a junkie. It wasn't very good, in hindsight. Trying to squeeze in a bowl at odd times when it was horribly inconvenient, inhaling the smoke and missing out on over half of the flavour, and all of the wasted tobacco! It was a shameful time...

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Consider yourself 'adopted'!! LOL
Everything you say is true, and it's great that you have worked it out for yourself!!
Happy piping!!!!

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Hmmm, now I have to hope for a chest cold? I am just happy I am off smokes and down to four bowls a day. Yes I believe I still use it as a nicotine fix, but slowly trying to stop inhaling. Fighting a 40 year habit is tough. It's still to cold out to fully enjoy a bowl outside, but I hope once warm weather hits I can start to savor the smoke rather then inhale it.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Yeah, it sucks that a cold prompted this, but perhaps you can seek out some sickly looking people and stand close by. Of course, you may end up with TB and dead, but it's a risk worth taking.
I always wanted to not inhale, but didn't manage to pull it off because I'm a junkie at heart and couldn't work up the willpower. You get the exact same feeling about 5-10 minutes into the smoke as you do if you inhale right off the bat. So if you can wait 5-10 minutes, you'll get that fix. And if it's the feeling of having smoke in your lungs that you enjoy (I did), it seems to quickly go away. It's really not all that good, actually.
Worth trying for. You might get lucky eventually. I'm fairly certain you'll enjoy the pipe much more, and if you're already enjoying it, just imagine how good it can get!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb here -- and I truly don't wish to offend anyone here -- but I can't help thinking that nicotine addiction and pipe smoking simply don't go together. In my opinion, pipe smoking should be a relaxing hobby that you turn to for solace, reflection, and enjoyment. Those things become secondary when smoking a pipe becomes a physical need or merely the means to a an end (the "end" being a nicotine hit).
Judging from all of the posts here about folks looking for high-nicotine blends, though, I realize that my view may not be the majority opinion. But I can't help thinking that if a pipe is merely a nicotine delivery device, then the smoker is missing out on 9/10 of what makes pipe smoking such a pleasurable hobby.
Bob

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've never really thought that much about it. Being a cig smoker for many years, I do admit to inhaling. Maybe every tenth puff or so, not all the time. I guess it's just second nature.

Pipe smoking, for me, is about the relaxation and ritual more than the nicotine. I've used tobacco in about every form imaginable over the years, and pipe tobacco (no matter the blend) usually doesn't have much of an effect on me in the Nic department anyway.

Like I said, I think inhaling is just a reaction for me, not a conscious decision.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Bob, that is exactly what is am trying to achieve with switching from coffin nails to a pioe.
I want to enjoy the moment, not have the need to. Sit somewhere and contemplate why I am not out fishing more :)
I am so tired of always firing up a smoke, just for the sake of it, cig smoking is just to convenient.
I also have an inherent fear of quitting for good, two very close friends quit cold turkey only to develope stage 3 cancers after 1 yr and passing on shortly thereafter. My dumb mind says "maybe if they didn't quit?"
One week without a cig n those habits still pull me me in certain situations.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I think from your perspective, Bob, it makes sense to think like that. Why would pipe smoking be about nicotine? Clearly it's about flavour and the setting, to someone who isn't a junkie.
Unless you've been a slave to nicotine, it's probably difficult to understand. To a junkie like me, pipe smoking and nicotine were like cherries in black forest cake. They were made for each other!
When using a pipe to get the nicotine fix, which I thought was pretty common, especially when using it as a crutch to get off of another form of tobacco, it really isn't much different than cigarettes. It tastes a lot better, that's certain, and you don't stink as much (mostly), but you're still a junkie and the difference between using a pipe for the sake of enjoying the whole pipe tobacco experience and using a pipe to primarily get nicotine is like comparing a tropical paradise to the South pole.
I think a lot of people who are addicted to the pipe and tobacco will read this and maybe sense that there's something behind the curtain. I read posts similar to this before and wondered, how different could it possibly be? Those who aren't addicted will probably just shrug and step around the junkie, avoiding eye contact. I just wanted to say to my fellow pipe smokers who are addicted as I was that it's really worth working on, to kick that aspect of inhaling. It really is very surprising how different and more enjoyable the experience is. Primarily the flavour.
You're dead on about missing 9/10 of what makes pipe smoking so fantastic if you're sucking it into your lungs.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Wow. I'm breathing a sigh of relief: You guys read my post exactly as I intended it. And it's great to hear the perspective from "the other side," unadopted. I have a much better idea of where you're coming from now.
Bob

There are many that use the pipe as a nicotine delivery system. Look at hundreds of years of men going all day with a pipe hanging out of their mouths, men buying their one brand for their one-pipe, Missouri Meerschaums being marketed and sold along side big bags of RYO (this was my start into pipes). Even today, most pipe smokers in my area are men who stop at the convenience store and buy a box of Carter Hall and go home to smoke in private in front of the TV, or burn their favorite RYO in a cob while mowing the yard. I see them in traffic with pipes hanging out of their mouths. More than you'd think. Maybe It's just here, but maybe not.
However, I have transcended this level of pipe use to what I believe is a higher plane of pipe hobby. I no longer inhale. I enjoy finer tobaccos, and read about the gourmet enjoyment of such. And, I come here. You're right Bob. It shouldn't be an addiction, but even with not inhaling and trying to take things to that gourmet level, if I had to go a few days without smoking, I'd probably SMASH, CRUSH, DESTROY beautiful things, and that would not be good. Even with just taking in moderate levels of nicotine through the small blood vessels of the mouth as we do with pipe smoking, I am addicted. I can't speak for everyone, but I would have a hard time putting my pipes away and forgetting about them for forever. And, not just because I "like" them. I'm just honest with myself.
I'm addicted. But, is that so bad? If addiction is bad, then throw away your smart phones, give away your cars, stop using central air conditioning, stop drinking :::shivers::: coffee, sodas, candy bars, chips, sugar, etc... We are addicted to many things, why is the pipe hobby such a terrible thing to admit being addicted to?
I never let alcohol cross my lips. I don't use drugs. I never eat fast food. I grow, raise, and hunt ALL of my own food. I've limited all white sugars from my diet. So, the pipe and a bit of coffee are my addictions, oh and my cell phone. Eh, so what? I'm proud of it.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
As I've been kicking cigarettes I've caught myself taking an inhale or two near the end of the night. Would prefer not to.
That said, just smoking the pipe can help with the cravings I have, without inhaling. Nicotine definitely plays a role in the enjoyment of a pipe, I think. A good coffee, a good blend, and just getting in the zone... gotta love it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad chain smoked a pipe but did not intentionally inhale. We all inhale some pipe smoke, but not by

heaving it into our chests like well-addicted cigarette smokers, not the majority of pipe smokers. It's not

part of the tradition and doesn't enhance the experience. I don't go after the nicotine buzz at all. When it

crops up, every sixth or tenth bowl, depending on the blend, I take it as a pleasant experience, but I don't

go after it. For folks who are transitioning from cigarettes, or for those who just tend to drag (inhale) their

pipes, I don't disparage them. But I do think that not inhaling is the way to go, the best way of enjoying a

pipe. When I have to go a few days without a pipe, it does not affect my mood or nerves. That's the right

balance for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just don't see the point in smoking when you have a cold, especially if you aren't looking for a nic fix.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I tend to inhale about half of my puffs depending on the blend and the funnest thing for me is that while I have dramatically cut down my cigarettes I find myself only inhaling half the puffs with them as well.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
As a life-long non smoker who got into smoking a pipe recently, I can't even imagine inhaling intenionally. The bits you accidentally inhale by having so much smoke whirling about your head is more than sufficient. Even without inhaling I usually get a good buzz on, and the day I don't I'll know I'm hooked. I've deducted that inhaling is completely unnecessary - I just don't get what the hurry is to get that nicotine sensation.
Dot
P.S. What would a newbie like me know anyway?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never inhaled pipe smoke as the stuff I smoke would blow your lungs out! That being said my friend Andre AKA Mr. 1920s does actually inhale Condor pipe smoke. I very rarely smoke cigarettes unless they are hand rolled Golden Virginia tobacco which is not available here in the US. Probably for the best I would imagine!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
My Uncle in England smokes about a pouch a day of Condor and inhales.
I have actually been trying to be more conscious of inhaling, and I noticed that I have been inhaling quite a bit since I switched my every day all day to milder tobacco's in December. (Hal O' the Wynd, Virginia No 1, Prince Albert).
For the last few days, as an experiment, I have gone back to smoking Ennerdale Flake all day long, and am no longer inhaling, yet feel fine.
I smoke a pipe primarily for nicotine, with flavor being a great side benefit. If there was no nicotine, I would not smoke at all, and would not see the point. I am trying to cut down. My wife wants me, too, and I agree that it would be a good idea. If I can get it down to 5 or 6 bowls a day, we'll both be happy.
Another thing, since switching to milder tobacco's, I have been consuming on average 100 grams/4 ounces or more per week. This is much more than my usual.
When I smoked Condor, I used small pipes, and a 50 gram (2 ounce pouch) would last me nearly a week. A 500 gram bag (pound) of Ennerdale would last me 2 months.
I'm hoping that going back to stronger smokes will reduce my intake, and I felt a lot better before as I rarely inhaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.