PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have been smoking a pipe for almost two years now. I have recently developed the habit of doing a lot of inhaling. Do many pipe smokers do this? Is this a bad idea? Should I stop doing this?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I agree. I would stop inhaling. There's to much tar and nicotine in pipe tobacco. Your body doesn't deserve that. Eventually, your body will start showing you it doesn't deserve that. Things could get ugly.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The nicotine strength of pipe tobacco compared to cigarette tobacco is generally much higher, therefore inhaling pipe smoke is perhaps not such a good idea.
Also, as I pointed out on a thread yesterday, tobacco smoke 'dries up and shrinks the brain' and will eventually turn you into a gibbering idiot :wink:
I wonder if Donald Trump ever smoked :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I really wouldn't recommend it - you can RYO out of things like Prince Albert in a can if you fancy a guilty pleasure but inhaling pipe smoke is just bad. I think some young chap on here used to do that and he is not around anymore if you get my drift.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Do whatever you want as long as you favor the likely consequences of that act.
If I were going to inhale from a pipe, I would use a very basic tobacco like Semois or Five Brothers.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
deathmetal said:
Do whatever you want as long as you favor the likely consequences of that act.
I second this. After typing out my response I thought, "You know what, do whatever you're gonna do."

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Well I don't drag on a pipe they way I would a cigarette.
But I can smell it, which means it is getting to the lungs.
Let's not kid ourselves, the bowl is a few inches from our nose. It's not like pipes are safe and cigarettes are not.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As a previous and somewhat present cigarette/cigar smoker I shall confess that I do inhale little when lighting up, especially if smoking CH /PA or Belgian Semois type tobacco,and yes, I do occasionally lightly inhale in when smoking cigars-like just now, nevertheless-I try keep this inhaling as low and light as I could

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Just guessing but I'm thinking there's about the same amount of tobacco in an average-sized pipe bowl as somewhere between 5 and 10 cigarettes. Unfiltered. (Pipe filters are meant to absorb moisture, not trap particulates in the smoke). Granted there's no paper in pipe tobacco, and it's not laced with chemicals designed to increase addiction, but if you smoke several bowls a day and inhale, that adds up to a helluva heavy cigarette smoker. Sounds like a pretty f*ckin' stupid idea to me.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Yes...I guess that I knew what you all would say.
The habit sort of grew slowly without thinking about it too much.
I just smoked a large bowl of Black Frigate without inhaling or retro-haling.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
People often come to us to talk them out of things. In the case of PAD and TAD, it usually fails.
My advice: smoke lots of Royal Yacht.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I just smoked a large bowl of Black Frigate without inhaling or retro-haling."
Inhaling and retro-haling are entirely different. The former is bad and the latter is good :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.