PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I grabbed this Ingo Garbe Liverpool today from SP.
The accompanying ad copy is interesting - I never realized that Ingo Garbe only makes smooth pipes:
Let's be perfectly honest, 'back in the day' most pipes that were sandblasted were subjected to the process because they contained flaws. Smooth pipes bring more money. But like Impressionism or skipping records, it's just a mistake that everyone just got around to liking. Even though Ingo Garbe is funneling down his potential for customers and markets, he must feel that sandblasting is sort of dishonest, because he just doesn't do it. In saying that, there's simply nothing to hide on this pipe, because the birdseye is, in a word, stupendous, and the cross grain, almost dead center.
Now onto to the shape. It's one of the best Liverpools I've ever seen. But don't take just my word for it. Eric (who's seen far, far more of the shape than I), can attest: "It's one of the best Liverpools I've ever seen; the best that kept the thicker shank of classic forms, as opposed to the slimmed-down, delicate approach used to improve the shape by, say Asteriou." We both agree that, on the whole, Ingo has made a truly beautiful shape here. A conservative design, this piece shows its beauty through a precise proportioning of the bowl and shank, minutely tilting the rear face up to avoid a static composition. You see, working within the design of the classic canonical shapes can yield something just as inventive as a Danish Freehand, but with results more subtle, constantly unfolding their beauty in a slow-burn.
-Seth Ellison-

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great pipe, Peck. It's funny that the copy mentions Asteriou's Liverpool, because his is my ideal Liverpool shape, but this Ingo Garbe is about as close as you can get to the traditional or classic shape. Hope it smokes well for you.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A really beautiful pipe, enjoy it! Like pitchfork above, I also think Chris Asteriou's work is fantastic!

Dec 24, 2012
I like Asteriou's pencil shank Liverpool and have one on the bucket list. I have an Ingo Garbe billiard and it is a smoking machine that is perfectly engineered and crafted. I know this one will be as well. Whenever I see a Garbe for sale, I immediately hit the buy button - that's how much respect I have for this carver. Thanks guys.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
A beautiful example. Garbe has a way with the classics that is almost legendary, not to mention his attention to detail inside the stem (he's been quoted as saying the most important part of the pipe is the last inch, and the Liverpool is one of my faves in the Billiard class (for which my appreciation has grown significantly over the years). Simply stunning. Congratulations on a fantastic acquisition!

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Peck, one day you have to do a photobook of your entire collection. I think I can speak for everyone on the PM forum that we would love to see it. Congrats on the new acquisition.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Magnificent Peck. Just my opinion but NOTHING is nicer than a perfectly centered cross cut grain on a Classic shaped pipe. All I can say is, Congrats.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, that is a gorgeous pipe. Now I have to add Garbe to my list of have to own one day, thanks buddy, like I needed another carver to own. Congrats on a great addition to your already fantastic collection.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pencil shank and snazzy grain. SP gets some good ones. Proportions on this one are superlative too.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Peck I was looking at pics of your recent Garbe again and realized it wasn't a Liverpool. My bad for not checking the date stamp on the original post of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.