PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I would like to know about this pipe. It is mark Dupont Explosives Genuine French Briar. The band is marked, but I know it's brass nickel plated. I only know what I see and that ain't nothing! Thank you in advance.

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/look10timesX10/media/DSC03036_zpspj7pgplx.jpg.html

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/look10timesX10/media/DSC03038_zpsotjeovop.jpg.html

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/look10timesX10/media/DSC03039_zpsdiucakpn.jpg.html

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It might be an LHS pipe. I've seen them before with advertising, but many other manufacturers sold "novelty" pipes. Forum member Dave G would likely know more.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
du Pont Explosives pipes were given out as souvenir pipes by the Explosives Department of the du Pont Company between 1912 and 1933. (Source: Debra Hughes, Curator of Collections and Exhibits, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE USA.) The original maker is unknown.
The shape is apparently intended to resemble an 18th or early 19th Century gunpowder barrel. Poker and bent shapes are represented. Some pipes may have ferrules. They are stamped with the duPont logo and "REG. US. PAT. OFF. EXPLOSIVES" on one side and "GENUINE FRENCH BRIAR" on the other side. Stems are vulcanite or similar material.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/DuPont_Explosives_promotional_pipes
Here you go.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the first image:
DSC03036_zpspj7pgplx.jpg

Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show. Bingo; now you've posted a photo directly!

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
WOW!! You guys know everything! Many thanks.

Now, are there any collectors who would want this? I'm in for a trade. A color other than black stem and 1/8 bent, not a drugstore pipe and NO filter. No cobs, I got plenty. Send email to coyotechaser@outlook.com

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
As an old DuPonter (40 years with them, and enjoyed every one), I've been more than normally aware of the brand name. I don't believe pipes like these have any linkage with the famously expensive DuPont lighters. There also were some DuPont pipes made in France. The one OP has is like a few I've seen turn up at flea markets. I understand them to be generic, mostly US made, pipes that were stamped with the company brand for promotional purposes. A few other companies have put their logos on similar pipes.
hp

les

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Mr. Pagan nailed it --- Very Interesting! I did light it up back a few months ago, it holds a lot of tobacco, didn't smoke too bad. It hasn't been used enough to be cake yet. It isn't my style. I'm dumping it on ebay in a couple days and buying a pretty shop pipe with a bent colorful stem. Maybe I can find one for about $25.00.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have no information on your pipe. However, your thread title managed to get Chuck Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee" stuck in my head for two days running.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Wow ... a DuPont pipe. I wasn't aware they are/were making pipes. I have a DuPont Gatsby lighter that works great with pipe smoking, and a couple of fountain pens, all premium quality. I would imagine that the pipe would also be premium. Is it smokable?

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@madox07 -- yes, I smoked it a couple times, I don't care for full bent pipes. You have a pipe to trade? I like pipes with OTHER than BLACK stems and about a 1/8 bent stem. Shop pipe, no name is fine, dollar amount isn't important.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/look10timesX10/library/

This is a just received no name with a pretty stem. A $20.00 pipe.

(I can not get this photo to work pasted into the IMG box.)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
coffinmaker no joke, truly that's your job, making coffins :puffpipe: I have managed to see the picture .. Unfortunately I am completely out of trade pipes, a pity since I would have wanted this one. I run into various estate pipes, newer and older, smoked or unsmoked ... I will keep an eye out for something more than decent to buy, towards trading with you in the future should the dupont still be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.