PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire12

Lurker
Mar 20, 2015
Hello and thank you in advance for you patience. My grandfather passed away and I have inherited his pipe collection, and I have no clue where to begin. I do not smoke, and do not have an interest in smoking, so I am asking for advice on value and where I would go to sell some of these pipes. I have posted a few in my album, not sure if I can post them here or not.
Thank you for any advice you have

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
There are many people on this forum knowledgeable about old pipes. The more information you can post, particularly about any stampings on the pipes or silver bands (if any) the more likely it is that someone can tell you a little of the history of what you have. And, of course, good pictures are invaluable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To start, look up the various brands that you have on these sites:
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Brands_/_Makers
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/index-en.html
Both of these sites are good places to get information about the pipes that you have.
If you have a B&M near you, bring in the pipes and see if the owner can help answer some questions, or maybe take some pieces on consignment.
Next you can try searching eBay for prices to get an idea.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Pipes-/4118/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A3%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4203&rt=nc&_sticky=1&_sop=10&_sc=1&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH
What I would do is enter the brand name of a pipe in the search window, and then select the "Advanced" button to the right of the SEARCH button. Enter the brand name in the "Keyword" box, then check "completed listings" and finally click on "search", to see what a pipe of this type has gone for in auction.
You should be aware that make, model, and condition are all important factors in the value of an estate pipe. Not all pipes made by one specific manufacturer have the same value. Value can vary greatly on how collectible the pipe is.
Above all, be patient. It takes time and effort to understand estates, but it is worth the effort if you have some valuable pieces and want to collect on that value.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
fire12:
One excellent source for consignment sale of your grandfather's pipes would be Pipestud's Consignment Pipe Shop on eBay, and which is run by Forum member Steve Fallon. Here is a link (Pipestud's Consignment Pipe Shop) to his virtual shop there. Mr. Fallon has a sterling reputation, and is a delight to deal with.
I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.