PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
As I have mentioned previously, my local Pipe Guy has some great pipes but seems not to understand much about them. For instance, one day my friend and I came in for more tobacco and discovered to our horror that he had replaced every single blend with mild aromatics! When we roared out dismay, he got them back. About two years ago he had a rare tin of FVF in and I snapped it up, telling him that I liked it. He told me he could sell FVF really quickly as every one of his customers was a fan. I told him he should get some more in then. He smiled as if I'd just told an off-colour joke....and got no more in for two months. I have asked him on many ocassions to get me some tobacco of my taste, I even told him I would buy ten tins, pay up front and trust him to deliver. He just smiled. Last night I went in and he said "Hey, long time no see" in an accusatory way.

Is this guy an idiot or what?

So I got some Drum for handrolling and looked at his current stock, which consists mostly of mild tobaccos which get a lukewarm response on tobaccreviews.com. He has a supplier for Robet McConell now so I have just texted him to say I will buy any tins of Scottish Cake he can get his hands on. He has just replied

"Sorry".

How does this guy stay in business?

I understand more chinese than he thinks I do and have heard him discuss me with his Chinese customers, joking that he overcharges me and that he doesn't like speaking English with me. I wonder if he is just a racist or has to pretend to be, to curry favour wit his locals? There is a notable change in the atmosphere when I arrive if there is a little pipist enclave going on, althugh sometimes this results in a friendly international exchange. Certainly when it was just me and my Canadian friend Tim, he would talk nicely and has given me many discounts of up to 30%. I wonder if this is a hangover from the bad old days? I once was in a main shop in my city and I saw some pipes. So I asked La Grande Dame behind the counter which tobaccos they stocked. She sort of sighed theatrically and reached down under the counter as if the weight of the world was on her shoulders, then pulled out a single packet of Cherry Delight or some such which. I said "Is that it?" and she looked at me very angrily at not having accepted this, then literally flopped out a few more; vanilla, Cptn Black etc. I walked away and she started cursing me for forcing her to "do all that work".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There are definitely some odd tobacconists out there. The giant Cigars International super-store (self-appointed, but true) carries a meager selection of tins. I've asked about Lane's Crown Achievement on four different visits and I always get a "yep, that is coming". On the last trip, they even took the majestic step of writing it down in a book. But, still no CA.....

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
It's sad that a tobacconist would have such a poor attitude about serving their customers and running their business. Maybe the store is just a front for a more profitable enterprise? Enthusiasts such as ourselves are sadly more knowledgeable than many store owners. I am not nearly as into smoking and collecting as a lot of folks around here but when considering relocating to a new town I always consider the local tobacco shop's history and standing with the pipe community. It means more to some of us than some of them can imagine. :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Man, I don't think I would go back. Clearly he lacks an understanding of what he should be doing as a business owner one way or the other. Bashing customers, in any language, is wrong as hell. Blatantly refusing to special order anything of real worth for you just displays further lack of concern for customers. The guy sounds like he is running a shop for beginners, and doesn't give a damn about experienced smokers. Sadly, there are a lot of B&M's like that. They specialize in overpriced, mid-range and cheap pipes, stock a whole bunch of bulk aromatics and only a few tins of some randoms blends. Like good tobacco should be some unattainable, once in a lifetime experience.
I agree with junkyarddawg, Fu©k 'em.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Totally agree. I had a guy at a local shop tell me "What we got is what we got"...I bought two things there one time, the guy at the counter had no clue, the owner was like thehappypiper's B&M guy(When I called in and asked about carrying any tins or other bulks, he said "No, I have no interest in it. I have two dozen great house blends. If you don't like them, you don't like pipe smoking.")I say if they can't meet you halfway, won't do you any favors...then don't do them any favors by your business! The customer should be first and foremost, and if he's overcharging you and mocking you for it, then fu@& him in the ear! As for la grand dame, she needs the bug out of her arse, and fu@& her too. Plenty of online places without the selection issues!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Happypiper, sounds like you really live up to your screen name in real life, because i would've told that dude at the B&M to take a long walk of a short pier a long time ago. I love my local B&M, but if they were a bunch of pricks and displayed similar attitudes as the one you are dealing with, i would either go to another b&m or if the el douch-o bagg-o was the only one around just stick to online purchases for all my piping needs. I would not want to lose the relationships and comraderie at my local b&m, but i could certainly live without it and rely solely on the internet. Good luck to you, just don't take any unnecessary shit from this guy. You don't deserve that brother, especially with a name like thehappypiper! :D

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Well I am glad to see I am not the only one unhappy about this. Thing is, there are no other pipe shops in my city! There is one in central Shanghai which sells pipes and when I asked what tobacco they stocked they said "We don't sell pipe tobacco". I asked where I could get it and they neither knew nor cared.

I got a biggish order last june from smoking pipes and will be geting another ne at the end of the month.

As has been said previously; "f*ck 'em"

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
The piping community, I am quickly learning, is full of great people who have a true love of our hobby. There are many, as evidenced on this very forum, who find great joy and fulfillment in helping others discover the peace and happiness in pipe smoking.
Why waste your time ( and money) with one idiot who doesn't fit the norm? Do your business with good folks who can enrich your hobby and gain personal enjoyment from simply bringing you to the next level? There are TONS of them out there.....even on the internet.. I've made purchase from people across the country and have even become distant buddies with a few.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
God, this is why I don't like going out of London. My local pipe shop is JJ Fox and their staff are the most friendly, polite and helpful bunch of guys I've ever met.

When I go in to buy a single tin of tobacco, they treat me as well as they treat the Mayfair millionaires buying cases of cigars. Love that place.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Pipe shops and gun stores. In my experience they are exactly alike, in that some of the owners of each get it, and some never will. Some of the owners treat their customers with respect, and some don't.
if you own a pipe shop, chances are I know a good 85% of what you know about pipes. Because of my work, if you own a gun store, chances are you DON'T know 85% of what I know about guns. But in EITHER case, if you just treat me like an adult, and with some respect, chances are you can tell me something I don't know and sell me something I don't have. If not. . . not.
Do you have to kiss my ass? Hell no. My favorite gun store used to greet me with good-natured obscenities when I walked in the door and I spent $$$$ in that place over the years. Management changed, attitude changed, staff turned into a bunch of smart-ass kids who didn't know what they didn't know and I was done with the place. Just went elsewhere.
This was ALWAYS true, but in the internet age, if you own a B&M store and do not treat me that way, I have lots of choices that, to be honest, will likely kill you on price. How can anyone in retail not GET that?

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
What a take a shiz right on your foot kind of service.Man i would stop going there for sure.What i can't understand is that B&M shops already struggle with business.Why would this guy want to risk losing customers.Oh well If that's what he wants.I checked out a lot of B&M shops here in the big island and i found that the type of tobacco they have is the cheaper bagged brands like Kentucky select and such.I have yet to find brands like capstan blue flake,or stonehaven etc.They don't have the luxury brands only the cheaper brands.I also find that they cater to the e-cig,vapers,and cigarette side of business.For this reason P&C,smokingpipes and 4Noggins is the go to place for all baccys.I will stay with the sites that co-sponsor this forum.Sorry to hear that you had such crappy service.It should never be this way.It is a blessing to even own a tobacco shop.Keep puffin on bro.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
That's too bad. Most tobacconist make money selling cigars and will stock some pipes and pipe tobaccos. My local B&M has been in downtown Cincinnati since the 1800's. Their bulk selection is mostly aromatics. They have some good tins as well. However, the pipe guy working there tells me they sell more Lane 1q (Losantaville they call it) than all other blends and tins combined! They just don'e make a lot of money from the pipe smokers. However, the smoking launge can get quite rowdy, and they like the pipe smokers because we are quieter.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
This situation is fairly simple. Stop going there if you don't feel welcome, and either go to another B & m if any in your area, or order online from now on.
Fu?% him. :D
+1 junkyard

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I live in a rural area and cannot get anything but OTC.My soul supplier has to be online if I want to experience anything new.I am happy with the new offering by Captain Black(Dark). The local B&M just started carrying it. They are happy to get my business.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Sounds like they just don't like outsiders, would stop going there all together if you can help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.