Inexpensive Savinellis - Worth the Money ??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Interested in these 2 pipes very similar to each other. are these worth the money being at the low end of Savinelli - will buy one of them based on your posts.

bought a chacom not so good craftsmanship quality wise.

I like long shanks which usually give cool smoking rather than long stems -at least told once that a long shank is cooler due to more briar to cool the tobacco. there is a filter & an insert in one of them - what is the insert?

i assume those stems are vulcanite & they seem to be the same stems.

- Savinelli smokers - are these going to give me a nice smoke or pictures dont say anything ?? ( I know they are not Dunhills. )

Any way of finding out ?
What are the balsa inserts they note in one of them ??
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=savljr408
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=savljr514
THANKS
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I don't think you can go wrong with a Savinelli. I own four that I purchased for less than $125 each. All are good smokers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Savinelli in the price range just below that of the pipes to which you linked.

It's a thick-bowled bulldog, therefore not a valid comparison, but it's a great tasting pipe for the money at any price.
The balsa insert is a triangular stick of balsa about as long as a common paper pipe filter. It's optional, and usually

not used when the smoker feels the need to use a pipe cleaner to sop up any gurgle. Although I don't feel the need

to use a balsa filter, they do collect a lot of moisture. Leaving a wet filter in the shank can sour a pipe.

So on balance, filters are something of a PITA for what benefit they provide.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I have two Savinelli Duca Carlo pipes. Paid $56 for each at local pipe shop. You can't buy a better smoking pipe for that kind of money. Savinellis are worth the price.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've been smoking a long shank Savinelli for close to 20 years.It smokes great.I think you would be well pleased with either of these pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savinellis are consistently well crafted and good smokers. I have one Sav unfinished zulu (404), an unfinished billiard

straight that is a Sav second, a Oscar Lucite prince, and a 601 sandblast churchwarden. Some of these are above the

price you cite, and others below, and all are great pipes. They are anywhere from 35 plus years old to less than a year

old (in my possession). Savinelli just seems to get it right. I'm sure they have made a poor pipe here and there, but

their quality is remarkably high for the number of pipes they produce.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah Anthony. I have a unfinished Sav loaded with fills and it's a great smoker. Ugly as sin, but it's one of those pipes that always gives a nice smooth smoke.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
As has been said, yes they are worth the money, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say otherwise. The 2 I have smoke as good as any pipes I own.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Ok ordering - prefer unfinished bare briar but i expect these bowls are finished -

have many issues with a chacom new smoker forum tight stem heading
thanks for the responses

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I don't think you will be disappointed. Like bobpnm, I have a Duca Carlo that I bought new for just under $40 several years ago that is one of my very best smokers. It uses the balsa filters that you mention but I smoke it without.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I just picked up a Punto ORO 313 at a local antique store. It was a steal at $6 and an excellent smoke.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Currently smoking a Savinelli Bing's Favorite with the balsa filter. I prefer the 9mm charcoal filters in my filter pipes, but the balsa seems to do an ok job absorbing moisture from the smoke. This pipe also fits 6mm Medico filters, which I think do a better job than the balsa. I don't use a filter with Balkan blends or Aromatics though. Too much flavor is lost.

Savinelli makes a fine pipe, btw. Well worth the money, even the low end ones.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I agree with everyone here. Savinelli produces a fine product. I own 5 savs myself all good smokers.
Mike.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Got four Savs right around the price point you mention. Can't say enough about how good they smoke! Great pipe for the price!

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I have several Savs in my collection. They are all wonderful pipes. Quality control is always job 1 with these people. You can't go wrong with a Savinelli no matter what the price might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.