PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Individual tobacco availability comes and goes. Presently Samuel Gawith is largely unavailable (except Navy Flake--which is good). Don't fret over short term shortages of abc or xyz, they will be around again.
There are plenty of great blends anyone could cellar that seemingly are always available. These include:
Peter Stokkebye---Luxury twist, Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Cube Cut
Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake and Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices.
All are on the cheap end of the spectrum ($30-40 ish/ lb) and are readily available in large bulk quantities. They are all good and all worth trying. So buy some mason jars for $7, and get to it.
Feel free to add any other cheap and readily available blends for beginner cellaring.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 PS Luxury Navy Flake -- it's excellent, inexpensive, available in bulk, and mixes well if you want to do that, and it is dependably available. The bullseye coin I find a little bitey, but I'm aging it to see if it mellows. Some of the bag tobacco is Virginia, I believe, and I've tried some, but not enough to recommend. Some of it seems to be cut to double as roll-your-own tobacco, but has some nice flavor notes.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Not a bulk, but in the tinned tobacco arena Orlik Golden Sliced is always readily available, good quality, and significantly cheaper than most other tinned offerings.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I agree on all the Stokkebye for sure! I just got done jarring up my new box of Luxury Twist Flake and Luxury Navy Flake a couple minutes ago. Now I’ll forget about them for 5 years or so and have 3 lbs of delightful smoke! It’s good now, great later.

Before you stock up on five pounds of Newmister 400 SNF, try a small quantity. To me, it is just like MacBarens VA #1, with that honey sweet topping in the mix. Doesn’t MacBarens make the Newmister brand? Anyways, I just popped a jar of five year old 400SNF to see what age has done, and it hasn’t done much. It is still a tad bitey, not as bad as fresh VA #1; but, whether you will like it or not will depend on your tastes.

It also seems to be aging very slow, same color and flavors as the day I jarred it. My jars stay in dark cabinet in a room, which stays about 65F to 70F year round.
But, I also like a little tangy, especially in the summer. But, I just suggest trying it first to see if that honey topping matters much to you. It very well could suit your tastes, YMMV.
I’ve been enjoying the bulk DR Rimboche SJ a lot lately. I steam it a little before jarring it, and after five years, it is stewed fruity good. And, it’s very affordable. The AB is very good too, IMO.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I like PS LNF alot, I like it fresh, as I haven't had it long enough to taste it aged. But I tried the LTF hoping for a similiar experience, and fresh I do not think I was able to finish the bowl. Just very grass like, no dimension.
What kind of age are we talking for these blends to start to blossom?

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Dam, I have never tried 507c. I promised my wife no new tobacco or net new pipes ever.
Edit: just looked it up, nice looking flake . Looks ready to smoke now and age for 5-10 years be even better.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
D4k: Mine have only aged max 3 years. There is a noticeable difference in appearance and taste. Can’t wait for time to pass. Hope I still like the pipe. If I do, I’ll be one happy camper.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Woods: I don’t really listen to her . I’ll buy some and jar it up. The price and endorsement is enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.