PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Hey all, I normally use my trusty DJeep lighters and a pipe nail but with my new job I am looking for an inexpensive lighter with a built in tamper so I have less loose items in my pockets all day. What would any of you recommend.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/JETLINE-LACARDO-PIPE-LIGHTER-MAHOGANY/83399.uts?sourceCode=4325&cm_vc=10591&TLCode=24062&cm_mmc=ShoppingEngines-_-Singlefeed-_-Pricegrabber-_-24062&promoCode=cse

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I asked for input not too long ago, and got wonderful recommendations.
DJeeps aren't sold in my area - that would have been my first choice. I have a Zippo pipe lighter, but have given up on Zippo fluid and am now using Ronsonol with much longer between refill times. For camping, banging around I ended up with a Jetline G model. It's OK, but is like a flame thrower, I have to watch not to burn the bowl.
I'd stick with the DJeep if you're happy with it.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Pipesandcigars.com has the Lacardo Jetline for $17.99:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/jetline-pipe-lighters.html
I've got two, and I'm very happy with them.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Stick with wood matches. It will do less damage to your pipe rims. I usually go to enough places that give out free wooden matches. How inexpensive can that be?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I know you mentioned a built in tamper, but I get by with Bic lighters and a bunch of wooden dowels for tampers. And a Chzeck tool. I've got a bunch of fancy lighters all in states of disrepair. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was last year spending $100 I didn't have on a gorgeous silver Tsubota, only to have the soldered arm break off after a year. At that point, while throwing a fetid eye over a field strewn with dead or dying Corona Old Boys, I said that's it. Of course I've got a bunch of Zippos and they always work well, but I can't stand the smell and taste of the lighter fluid. Ruins a bowl for me it does. So its back to the Bics and the occasional wooden matches for me. Wish I could be more upbeat, but life's been getting me down lately. A lot of effort for minimal to non-existant returns, if you know what I mean.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
I find the Vertigo is best inexpensive lighter with a built in tamper.I've tried quite a few and the Vertigo is the longest lasting by far.It is usually less than 20 bucks.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Wood matches or a zippo! I've never had a problems with my zippo. I have a xikar but it doesn't hold that much fluid, so I keep coming back to Zippo and matches.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
images

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Comes with built in tamper.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
No built in tamper with the IMCO GR77s, but they have been discontinued. I found a couple extras on Amazon so I'm set for awhile. I love the fuel window on the bottom so you can see how much fluid is left.
hp

les

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I know lighters exist for less $$, but my Colibri Connaught is worth every penny.
31HsJuVMCjL._SY450_.jpg

watch

I paid $42 with free shipping. It has a some nice heft to it, built-in tamper, soft flame that directs into the bowl. I've had it for over 9 mos and it's never failed (I only use 5x butane).

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Six,

I looked at the Connaught but have heard yay/nay about Colibri. Just added it to my Christmas list.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Can't answer your question but re Zippo, have about 5 of them, use everday multiple times. Hinge pin broke on one that was about 30yrs old & sent it back to them for repair. Everyone knows they fix them for free, got mine back yesterday, not only did they fix the hinge, but put new insides in it & returned the old guts too. There was nothing wrong with the old guts so I stuck it back in & shelved the new one.

So now I have an old ass brass zippo that will be around 40 years longer than I will.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I looked at the Connaught but have heard yay/nay about Colibri. Just added it to my Christmas list.
That's great to hear - I am extremely satisfied with mine. I think the key to success with butane lighters is using a highly refined fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.