PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hey everyone,
Totally not pipe related, but definitely health related which should be relevant to all anyway.
Last year when I turned 45 I noticed that my exercise regimen of running and playing tennis wasn't working well anymore--basically both were tearing up my knees something awful. My lower body joints simply can't take continual impact over long periods of time. I still play tennis (but now mostly on clay courts--much easier on the knees) and still run (but only once per week and only 5-10k).
To replace 3-4X/week exercise I bit the bullet and bought a Concept 2 rower for home workouts as I absolutely despise gyms. Now, these are not cheap, but they are amazing machines that will last a lifetime. They don't take up a huge footprint, don't require any electricity to run, and are idiot-proof to put together and operate. And the best part--a great cardio/strength building workout that is virtually no impact on the knees and hips! That is the one thing that I can't stress enough--while your muscles may get sore, your joints won't! Also, they have incredible resale value since they are such fantastic machines.
OK--indoor rowing is not the most exciting forms of exercise, but I usually listen to music or podcasts or I'll set up my computer and watch downloaded Itunes movies. I have one friend who set his up in front of his big screen TV.
Don't just take my word for it--check out the link on Amazon and read the reviews. There are over 600 reviews--94% 5 Star and 5% 4 Star.
http://www.amazon.com/Concept2-Model-Indoor-Rowing-Machine/dp/B00OUGNUO8
And here is some general information from the Concept 2 website if you are interested:
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d
For the record, I do not work for Concept 2 or have any financial interest here whatsoever. There are other rowers and companies out there are well so shop around. Some even have water wells in them to give you better rowing "feel" (this one was used in "House of Cards" when Claire put Frank on an exercise routine).
Just wanted to let forum members know about this great rower in case they might be thinking about starting or adding to an exercise regimen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipefish, you are smart to react to your joints' clear signals of distress. My wife has been through a long struggle that started with a hip replacement beset by staph. You really don't want orthopedic surgery unless you absolutely must (which actually was true of her). Many people keep pressing ahead with exercise regimes in the face of arthritis and other problems. I greatly admire senior Olympians who keep on running and jumping into their nineties, but that's a special kind of genetics they have. Keep moving, but figure out how to do it without causing more problems than you solve.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I'll second your C2 recommendation. Awesome machines. Mine is 15 years old and going strong.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I've been rowing Concept 2 for over 30 years. We used them for crew training in college. Models A in the beginning and I currently own a D. They last forever with very little maintenance and provide a great workout - in my weight class I burn about 1,000 cal/hour at a 2:00/500m pace. I also own a Concept 2 SkiErg which is a fantastic complementary exercise to rowing.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Yes on concept 2! I've been using these things for 25yrs.
I know few people will agree but the best things for knees are squats. The best thing for your back is the deadlift. And the best thing for your shoulders is the barbell press. These are natural movements but must be done correctly and the weight added very slowly over time. Strength is a very fundamental quality of human life. For most people, you are far more likely to be in a car accident then being required to run 10 miles to provide food for your family. Strong people are harder to kill.
This goes against common wisdom but so does smoking a pipe. If anyone wants to get strong (at any age or conditioning) I'll respond. Otherwise, I'm sure you will go back to hours of cardio, dumbbell curls, and sit-ups, because that's what the "experts" say.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I recommend smoking an Oom Paul shape pipe while using a rowing machine. It will better stand the jostling, and you won't be as likely to knock it out of your mouth.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
+1 BCharles on the compound movements - squats, deadlifts, military press. I read a long time ago if you only do one weight-bearing exercise ... do squats, as the movement essentially works the entire body to some degree.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Rowing is one of the best total body workouts you can do. My little gym in my complex needs a rowing machine. 2 friggin bikes and no one uses them.

Status
Not open for further replies.