PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm trying to peg some informal indicators of an increase in pipe smoking. Here are a few, and then you add yours, if you will.
When pipe and pipe tobacco kit ads begin to show up in publications and online beside those ads for cigar samplers, in car, sports, and gun magazines.
When you see young people smoking pipes on the street or behind the wheel.
When a variety of pouch tobacco reappears in retail stores like groceries, convenience stores, and in airports and bus stations.
When pipes turn up being smoked by leading actors in movies, not supporting role character actors.
And, and ... you take it from here.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Oh Shit, Don't let the Government know about any increase. Nor it's worshippers. Run Run 8O

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Numbers! Only numbers. Probably the best indicator would be sales of the so-called "drug store" blends over the last 20 years. This will indicate an increases in smoking as opposed to simply new people coming to the pipe and omitting the normal lose of smokers.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Increase in the report of outhouse fires in Tallahassee?"
"That's been on the increase in Texas too."
Internet research has revealed that in both states they were not outhouse fires per se. Rather, authorities indicated that all such reports were traced to the consumption of Mixture 79.

Nov 12, 2017
When new smoke shops emerge and old ones get revamped and expand. I have a friend who became financial manager of a smoke shop and bar perhaps 5-6 years ago. Since then, they've opened up 2 or 3 more locations. And business is good. Then there is at least one new store nearby that opened recently, and an old store I can only describe as "hippy variety" began selling pipes, albeit extremely cheap ones and I don't mean in price. I myself, a young guy, started not too long ago, and I got one of my friends to pick it up. I started with celebratory cigars but decided pipes looked like more fun.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The vaping craze is dying as people realize that suspending psychoactive chemicals in goo and then heating them with unstable electric gadgets may not actually be much if any healthier than simply smoking a pipe. Vaping is the new fedora.
In addition, there has been a mood shift from the nanny-style "we know better" to a profound distrust of all these rules and fears. The goody two shoes mentality is evaporating. And with that, people are willing to take up some of those old, bad habits and enjoy.
As far as indicators go, the biggest one for me would be seeing pipes in the media more. They are showing up in video entertainment, at political protests, and in popular culture more.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I saw a Cigar International Ad in Game Informer. Damn, I thought I'd warped Back to the 70's and 80's when I saw that. Good for Cigar International.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One subtle indicator is the degree to which chains like Tinderbox and your local independent pipe shop (if you are lucky enough to have one) restock. When the variety of pipe blends decreases, and the wall of pipes gets thin, that's a negative signal. When the choices and price ranges widen, that's an up-tick, I think. A fresh cardboard rack of MM cobs is a good sign.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is a good time for people to smoke pipes (considerately) in public. Monkey see, monkey do.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
I get the "double take" confused look everywhere I go. I hardly ever see another Piper. Not so sure there is much of an increase, but I don't really give a s----, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.