PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I see we are witnessing more increases in the price of esoterica blends: http://www.4noggins.com/esoterica-pipe-tobacco.aspx
I wonder if wholesale prices have risen. Does anyone know if SP has increased prices as well? They have none in at the moment so I have no way of telling.

May 31, 2012
I don't think wholesale prices have risen.
This last batch I got lucky with Mars Cigars, they are the best no doubt, they even sell 2oz samples from the 8oz bags, too cool --- and they remain $22.95 per 8oz
I did miss the Stonehaven boat there though, but found some at Payless, ten days ago it was selling @ $27.95 when I picked a bag up, now they're up to $29.99, btw, for anyone interested, they have Pembroke, Tilbury, Peacehaven and St. Ives in stock at the moment...

http://www.paylesspipes.com/items.php?deptid=4&styleid=458;
Tobacco Supermarket goes @ $38.00

they seem to have some in stock too, it's best to email first with them to verify though, Joyce White runs it, she's very knowledgeable and very cool too...

http://www.tobaccomkt.com/x/home.php?cat=65
I've been wanting to try Woodbridge for a while, and found a place with some, @ $34.95, still flip-flopping, I need to go ahead and get it, I like Hastings and it's supposed to be like that only slightly stouter...

...anybody around here smoke Woodbridge? Any info or opinions most appreciated.
I reckon the prices are just about all over the map,

P&C still charges the most though, $49.99 is the highest retail price I've ever seen it go for.
The up-charging may be a trend though?
If so, will it actually help ward off the scalpers?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I picked up a bag of penzance from pipeguys for $32 this week and a bag from LJ Peretti Pipes for $34 - of course LJ Peretti charged me $15 bucks to ship it and the pipe guys only charged me $5 bucks. You can guess who will get my next order.
What I am seeing is the ebay prices for penzance are going through the roof.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'd like to see if any retailers respond here to the price increase. Since several have not raised their prices (Smoking Pipes last shipment was the same price it had been), I'm dubious about an increase in the wholesale price. I know there wasn't one when P&C originally doubled their prices, because a rep at Arango and Rich at 4Noggins said there was no price increase at that time. Had that been true, everybody else would have done the same, and they did not. And there's no uniform price increase now as far as I can see from retailer web sites.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
My brother-in-law gave up the pipe and gave me quite a few of his 8 oz bags of Esoterica. I plan on selling these but I don't really know the best way to do so. Any suggestions? Thanks

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
My brother-in-law gave up the pipe and gave me quite a few of his 8 oz bags of Esoterica. I plan on selling these but I don't really know the best way to do so. Any suggestions? Thanks
Ebay will get the most bang for your buck. Otherwise you could be a kind chap and post them on the forum for less.
As far as answering the OP, I'm with Jim. I've spoken with a few tobacco shops and heard of no price increase from Arango. Thus this lends me to believe the retailers are responding to the market (for which I do not blame them). Simple supply and demand.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Back when everyone grabbed the pitchforks & torches at the P&C price hike, Rich did chime in that he had just received a shipment of Esoterica tobacco and the prices had not gone up...also he would never raise prices in such a manor simply for profit. That makes me believe that the wholesale prices MUST have gone up this time if 4noggins raised their price.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I'm sure Rich will chime, but I would not fault him if he did give in. He's in business to make money, and let's be honest, 8 oz of premium tobacco for $42.95 is not a bad deal. I just paid $38/bag for 2 bags of Penzance the other day and would pay that all day long.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
This increase would bother me...if I ever in my life had a chance to buy anything made by this supposed company! :?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Has the price at 4Noggins actually increased? They still have 8oz bags for under $30, and tins for under $10.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
They were higher at 4noggins, but apparently are back to what they were previously...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This earlier thread may hold some interest. . .
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pampc-doubles-prices-on-esoterica-bags
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.