Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

In Your Personal Opinion, is Inhaling Wrong or Acceptable?

(41 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by Machado
  • Latest reply from michiganlover
  1. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

There's a thread about inhaling, but I'd like to know the reasons of each one.

I do inhale (only until my throat gets hot) because it's a habit I acquired as an ex-cigarette smoker and it feels more intense to me than just puffing. So I see no reason not to inhale.

What about you? Do you consider it wrong or OK, and why?

Posted 9 months ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It can have harmful effects. For starters, the lungs and bronchi weren't designed to be constantly dealing with smoke and its components (whether they be carcinogens or not). The human body has tolerances that allow for contingencies, such as inhaling smokey air when there are forest fires, but contingency is a far cry from habitual.

Smoke tends to kill the cilia coating the inner airways, which are responsible for pushing impurities and foreign matter out of the airways. Yet another reason not to inhale it.

Also, pipe tobacco has more nicotine than cigarette's, and it can be harsher as well. Whilst cigarette smokers might have built a strong resistance to nicotine, the harshness remains. So, better not to draw it into your lungs.

The ghost of cancer remains, but I won't go there.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wrong, because it's a hobby.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 9 months ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With a pipe, I consider it a bit silly. I am a reformed cigarette and cigar smoker. I did inhale a quite a bit of the cigars i smoked. With a pipe, I haven't seen any advantage and find it more enjoyable to pull the smoke through my nose via snork or whatever they call it.

Posted 9 months ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see absolutely no reason to inhale. It adds nothing to the flavour or the enjoyment of the tobacco. I never got the appeal of a 'lung full' or that 'full chest feeling'.

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

When I think it's too intense, I stop inhaling for a while and just puff.

The interleaving is good for me.

I like the throat burning feeling, not the full lung feeling actually.

When I used to smoke cigarettes, I inhaled "into the throat" a lot so I use to do the same thing.

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are in process of quitting cigarettes, it is normal to crave that lung hit feeling. I had quit cigarettes on and off for quite a while when I converted to pipes. And, yes, I would slip up and get a lung hit while smoking my pipe early on. But, as a practice, IMO, it takes away a lot of the pleasure of getting the nicotine through the small blood vessels of your mouth and sinuses. It takes away a lot of the flavors, and can hurt you physically in many ways in the long run. But, I am not about to get all preachy. I just don't inhale now. Sure, I may be passively breathing my own smoke in the room, but I am not actively trying to inhale. But, do what you must...

A lot of our members never had a cigarette addiction. They may smoke their pipe a few times a week, so it is hard for everyone on this forum to understand each other's way of doing things.

All I will say is that if you are doing this as a way to ween off of the cigs, then, yeh, that will work for a short time. Maybe just try to find enjoyment of savoring the tobacco. But, if you are inhaling just because that's your thing, then, have at it. But, keep in mind that it is not a common practice, nor is it orthodox. But, not everyone cares about that stuff, ha ha.

Michael
    Posted 9 months ago #
  8. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am used to cigarettes. Pipe tobacco, even mild blends, is a lot harder on the throat and lungs than cigarettes when inhaled. I simply can't do it. And I find it very unpleasant when I do it accidentally. For the record I do smoke a few cigarettes now and then, so I'm no stranger to inhaling smoke. Do I consider it wrong? Well, no. I just find it unpleasant.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  9. davem

davem

Login to Send PM

I personally don't purposefully inhale when smoking a pipe. It's certainly not my place to tell anyone else it's wrong though!

I came back to the pipe for pleasure and relaxation, Swedish snus is my nicotine delivery method of choice

Dave

Posted 9 months ago #
  10. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

Posted 9 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I should add that my opinion is only my own, you can do as you please obviously. I never came from the world of cigarettes, so its true that inhaling pipe smoke is alien to me.

To each their own!

Posted 9 months ago #
  12. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My opinion doesn't enter into it. It's your choice.
    The vast majority of pipe smokers, however, do not inhale.

Posted 9 months ago #
  13. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I have yet to inhale anything I have ever smoked , would much rather puff and enjoy

I know cigarette smokers seem to inhale , but I never understood it .

Cigars are probably a mixed lot , pipes I think is about puffing .

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 9 months ago #
  14. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wrong to inhale pipe smoke “on purpose”. We all do it passively to some degree by the nature of the act itself. But avoid intentional inhaling please, your lungs will thank you.

Neal
    Posted 9 months ago #
  15. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t consider it right or wrong, it’s a choice. I smoked cigs for 30 years before giving em up 10 years ago. I don’t inhale my pipe or cigar smoke intentionally, I feel that I get much better flavors by not so when someone newer than me asks if they should, I recommend they don’t.

Posted 9 months ago #
  16. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

As a historical aside, it is very clear that the original European pipe smokers (and their American antecedents) inhaled the smoke from their pipes. What I have never seen elucidated is when the bulk of pipe and cigar smokers switched to puffing. I'm a puffer myself, and have never intentionally inhaled tobacco into my lungs in any form. But all should be free to do what they want.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 9 months ago #
  17. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a former cigarette smoker, it’s definitely wrong for me. As much as I loved them, I didn’t like the idea of an early death so I quit almost exactly 20 years and 6 months ago.

Posted 9 months ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I don't think it's wrong, just a very bad idea. I dn't even smoke indoors, since that increases the amount one is inhaling, besides the stale tobacco smell. In the end, they're your lungs. Do what you want with them.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 9 months ago #
  19. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Acceptable by all means.

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked in the bathroom with the door closed for the final 18 months, to protect my cat's respiration. She was wheezing. I'm sure second-hand smoke hurried my quitting. I never thought about the effect of second-hand smoke on me.

Posted 9 months ago #
  21. grue

grue

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush52

I dn't even smoke indoors, since that increases the amount one is inhaling, besides the stale tobacco smell.

But, but, but... ...what about the delicious room note?

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's not something really anyone but you can decide. It's not like stealing. We all know stealing is wrong and not personal opinion, but everything except certain facts are completely up to the smoker. The only sure fired right and wrong are that it's right to smoke pipe tobacco in a device meant for pipe tobacco, you must light it and set it on fire some how to smoke it, and then you must pull on the pipe tobacco smoking device to keep it going. That's about it for what's "right".

What you smoke it in, how you light it, what you light it with, what tobacco you choose, how much to dry it, how tightly or loosely to pack it, how much puffing you need to do, how long it smokes for, when and how hard to tamp it, whether or not to inhale are all choices left up to the individual.

Personally, it's wrong for me. I've inhaled it on accident a few times and it wasn't very pleasant. I mean, when you're smoking something strong like Black Frigate and the minute you breathe in after expelling a big puff of smoke, the wind blows it back in your face, it's a completely unexpected thing. Maybe because it was unexpected and not intentional, it was rougher, but I did not enjoy it. I want to enjoy my pipe smoking, not grimace at the very thought.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 8 months ago #
  23. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't habitually or frequently inhale pipe tobacco. I was a cigarette smoker and I tend to inhale a little. I wouldn't do a direct lung hit. Certain blends are really rough on the lungs and have even made me sick. I think if you're smoking a non-aro burley or Va/Burley blend that it's more like a cigarette. It will feel like inhaling 2, 3 or 4 cigarettes at once instead of one. So, proceed with caution. It doesn't enhance pipe smoking IMO, but I enjoy doing a slow, shallow inhale 1-3 times with my AM or PM coffee.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 8 months ago #
  24. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

SP, I had to look that up. I thought it was Sartre, but it's Shakespeare. Good one. Thank you.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. eaglewriter1

eaglewriter1

Login to Send PM

Its your tobacco, you can do whatever you want with it.^^
    But with pipes I would presume that inhaling migth overheat the bowl more easily as you take deeper breaths and the tobacco in general is more acidic then normal cigarett tobacco so it is rather rough on the lungs.

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Inhaling pipe tobacco is not something I chose to do because it has even greater health risks. Then again, I sometimes choose to have an alcohol drink while smoking a pipe. Drinking alcohol apparently increases the health risk of smoking exponentially (not just linearly).

In summary: whatever floats your boat, tickles your fancy, and butters your biscuit.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 8 months ago #
  27. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Whoa , imagine how damaging second hand smoke could be in a pub

Let alone for the patrons , it is a workplace issue

Posted 8 months ago #
  28. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

As far as bad or acceptable - I say it's up to the individual. Like Bill Clinton, I smoke but don't inhale. Unlike Bill Clinton, I'm faithful to my wife.

Posted 8 months ago #
  29. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several years of cigarettes in my past but I do not inhale from the pipe. I understand the desire for the throat feeling. Pipes actually hurt my throat, though. I am sure I wouldn't inhale even if they didn't, though. Nicotine and throat-hit are not things I use the pipe for personally. It's more of a ritual of enjoyment that includes admiring the actual pipe, admiring the tobacco, enjoying the smell, and the feeling of satisfaction when the bowl is finished. I find it interesting that one of my favorite carvers, Hans Former Nielsen, appears to inhale quite a bit based on what I've seen in an interview video.

I think it is as is always said here, that however you enjoy it, is the right way.

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 8 months ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Freedom of choice, I'm sure. Most don't enjoy drawing pipe smoke into their lungs, and that is a magnifier of health hazard with cigarettes, I believe. A number here enjoy retro-haling, moving the smoke through their nasal passages. I can taste my food quite well without conducting it through my nasal passages, so I don't, but some devoted pipe smokers consider it standard. Make your own assessment and proceed accordingly.

Posted 8 months ago #
  31. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

But, but, but... ...what about the delicious room note?

Ha! But, yeah, smoking indoors certainly makes the whole business a whole lot easier. One doesn't really need much technique, understanding of the best ways to prep, and pack since smoking indoors one is siting in a cloud of smoke, inhaling and smelling it. The room note will pretty well make up for one's technical deficiencies, except for those practices that physically destroy one's pipe, like using a torch to light it.

To get a good smoke outdoors, one really needs to know proper tobacco moisture levels since that's the biggest factor in getting all the flavors a blend has to offer outdoors. Then one really needs to understand packing and cadence in a continually altering environment. There's no room note (big cloud of smoke) to make up for mediocre technique.

Posted 8 months ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, you must only go inside really small rooms, ha ha.

Posted 8 months ago #
  33. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Wow, you must only go inside really small rooms, ha ha.

Nope. Mostly the great outdoors. But being primarily an outdoor smoker offers me a perspective not offered to indoor only smokers, especially on those occasions when I'm enjoying an indoor smoke.

Posted 8 months ago #
  34. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Inhaling pipe smoke or cigars means taking more risks in an already risky hobby for me, my goal is to enjoy smoking while remaining away from health issues.

Posted 8 months ago #
  35. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was a pretty heavy cigarette smoker, and was still smoking cigarettes when I began smoking a pipe. I began by not inhaling pipe smoke as it just didn't seem natural to do so. It's certainly unnecessary, as the nicotine in pipe smoke is absorbed by the membranes or whatchamacallits in the mouth. Of course, I don't believe there is any true right or wrong in how you do it, as it's your pipe, your tobacco, do as you please. I also think, that if I DID see another pipe smoker inhaling away on their smoke, I'd probably think, "what a noob!"

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 8 months ago #
  36. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not wise but I'll be the last person to stop you.

So I see no reason not to inhale.

Increased risk of lung cancer is the big one.

I think the fact that almost nobody inhales pipe smoke on purpose is another big reason. It can be done but it is not really the best experience if smoked in that way. Slowly savouring the smoke through your mouth and nasal passages will be the route most people take. I don't think your supercharged methods have much staying power - you would probably reconsider it in the long run if you consistently inhaled Irish Flake for a week. Captain Black is like steam in comparison to some stronger blends out there...

Posted 8 months ago #
  37. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My simplistic response is that cigarettes is all about the nicotine hit, whereas pipes and cigars are all about flavour.

(Of course, you do take in some nicotine with pipes and cigars, but the buzz is not the main reason some of us smoke them).

Posted 8 months ago #
  38. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I got more flavor from inhaling, I would inhale till my lungs bled. However I get absolutely no flavor from inhaling my pipe so I never do it.

Harris
    Posted 8 months ago #
  39. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Someone else already stated it I believe but pipe tobacco was not meant to be inhaled from what my research has gathered. It's a lot different from cigarettes. I've luckily never inhaled off my pipe so I can't tell you my experience with that but I did once off a cigar by accident and thought my lungs were going to revolt against me. I just like the tastes of pipe tobacco and the whole process of smoking a pipe. Its relaxing. So I wouldn't go so far as to say inhaling is wrong, I just don't think there's any benefit to it. Plus the health aspects that have already been covered.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 8 months ago #
  40. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Sablebrush

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 8 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

Wrong?

Probably not, but it's 100% pointless to inhale pipe smoke. The experience of the pipe is in tasting the tobacco, in enjoying all of the intricate flavors.

There are no taste buds in your throat or lungs so there is nothing to be gained by inhaling the smoke.

Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   trouttimes, acidpox, ssjones, pepesdad1, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88, oldgeezersmoker