PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Hello everyone,
After doing some soul searching I have determined that I am not yet ready for college and need a "kick in the ass" to gain some mental focus.
I am going to join the US Navy. I hope to either become a Corpsman or work in a field of naval security.
Have any of you been or are currently serving in the navy and do you have any tips?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I was in the Navy from 88 to 93 as an enlisted man in the Naval Security Group (it's not what you probably think it is). My only advice is that the modern military is very technical; virtually all billets require highly technical skills and LOTS of training. If you lack "mental focus" going in, it may be tough going.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
As a Marine, I remember spending cool evenings setting out on the side of the ship smoking my pipe with a couple of Navy Chiefs. Wonderful memories.... But it doesn't start out that way mrmccarthy. You'll endure several years before setting back and relaxing with the senior guys.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Naval Air here. Attached to an A4 aircraft Squadron.

67 to 69. As Bigvan says, the Forces are more technical.

There is still opportunities to take advantage of.

Boot camp will take care of being mindless. Not as bad as what

TopD went through but it will be a wake up call

Anyway 2 different Carriers,2 different parts of the world

and all in 20 months

Joe

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Congrats on your choice mrmccarthy! Military service is ideal for a young man just starting out. You will learn many skills and the rigid discipline of military life makes for a better student down the road.
I went in the Air Force and while I don't regret my choices in the least I'm a big fan of naval history so I feel I could have fit in well in the navy. Follow your drill instructor's instructions carefully and to a T and you'll be through basic and having fun before you know it. Thanks for your commitment to serve and Good Luck!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Just to give Ya an idea of the difference.....
Navy sleeping arrangements: (note the Navy plaid decor)

harftford-plaid-navy-1.jpg

Marines: (note the generous elbow room and nice cool concrete)

553146_703854399679_2044127701_n-1.jpg

HaHahahaaaaa!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Navy 1960 to 1964 Machinist Mate UDT, when they ask you where you want to go, tell them where you don" t want to go and that is where they"ll send you, I have hard memories , jungles of Loas and Cambodia, I hope you fare better , Welcome Aboard the old cajun

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
mrmccarthy, you may not realize it yet, but this is all in good fun. All Marines know that there is no more important man in the unit than the Navy Corpsman assigned to his unit. The Marines don't have 'medics' like in the Army, but Sailors, whom we treat just like one of the guys! Our Corpsmen are treated just like Marines. My own son was a sailor for 6 years. I wish you well and commend you for deciding to serve our country. A Salute to you sir!
My son and I in 2003

Family00341.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Two sailors are sitting at the bar and one says, "how many marines does it take to screw in a light bulb?" The bartender stopped him and said, "before you finish your joke, do you see that guy at the end of the bar? He's a marine. Those two guys playing pool? They're marines. That guy by the juke box, he's a marine. And I'm a marine, too. So why don't you tell us ALL your joke, smart guy!"
The sailor sipped his beer and said "no thanks... I don't feel like explaining it five times."
===============
MARINE is actually an acronym meaning "My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment"

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:rofl:

Good one Bigvan!
We Marines might tease our Navy brethren.

But, we love'm.

Semper Fidelis!
And good luck Mrmccarthy
I remember the old adage: Join the Navy and ride the Waves. :D

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Thanks storient. I was a Navy Dependent myself. My Dad was in the Navy for 24 years. He almost had a stroke when I enlisted in the Marine Corps!

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
As a rule...and I"m sure Top can attest, we Marines could mess with squids. BUT NO ONE ELSE WOULD DARE :evil:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I can't let an opportunity like this pass by.

Here's a clip from my favorite Navy Spoof...

Down Periscope!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNaQS3vDQc4&feature=related

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I spent 6 years in Uncle Sams Canoe Club between 1970 and 77. It was an experience I will remember the rest of my life. Some good,some bad.Missed the birth of my first daughter and didn't get to see her until she was almost a year old.Had only one X-mas at home.Spent 4 years and 11 months aboard ship,the rest at boot camp and two schools.

But I did get to see a great many places I wouldn't get to see otherwise and do some things I wouldn't get to do otherwise,such as getting drunk in Hong Kong with a bunch of Aussie sailors!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep,once,in Subic Bay. Some buddies and I rented a boat and went fishing.One of the guys caught a small shark!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:worship: :worship:
I spent 6 years in Uncle Sams Canoe Club between 1970 and 77.

Thank you Ejames, not only for your service to our country, my family, and me... but for those things all service men miss, that matter so much.

Many think only of what our service men do for us...

Their service demands that service men and women forego some of the most important events in their lives.

And for that; we should all remember their personal sacrifices as well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqts74xfyvc

Status
Not open for further replies.