PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
So this morning I bought a "lot" of good from Etsy. The main component of it was two unopened packages of 1926 "The Country Gentlemen" and One very slick unopened pack of "Durham"...Bull Durham. For quite some time I have been wanting t o try some very old tobacco. Try it right out of the pack as well as re hydrating some to try it that way. It has taken so long as I have been trying to strike that balance of cost of item to shipping cost. and thsi hit the nail on the head. $20 shipped from St. Louis to Toronto.
I will add to this thread after I get them, and experiment...TO SCIENCE!
il_570xN.377421706_9x0x.jpg

il_570xN.377425137_ou21.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
In my own experience, tobacco that old is only good if it has aged in airtight containers. I bought some very old packs of cigarettes, Picayunes and Craven A's for the same reasons as you, just to smoke a bit of a time capsule. I carefully opened the packs and slowly rehydrated a few smokes in a humid jar with distilled water, longingly waited for days, fired one up.... and was absolutely disappointed.

You may have a different experience. I believe though, when tobacco is improperly stored for all these decades, instead of aging it just breaks down. Once it has dried completely, it begins to lose all of the oils that give it flavor and character, while at the same time picking up any outside odors from the environment it's been in all this time (which is likely to be an old cardboard box in someones attic or barn).

So my advice, since you picked these up to smoke, is to go ahead and give it a try. But don't make the same mistake as me, opening all of the packs. Just open one and see how it has held up. If it sucks, you still have the collectible value of the others.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on that purchase. Hope it works out for you.
tobacco that old is only good if it has aged in airtight containers.
That's what I would expect too - hope it's not the case.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
@lonestar, I 100% agree with you. I am totally expecting this to taste like smoking newspaper. And I already had in my mind I was going to open just one of the country gentlemen and save the other two for nostalgia.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That is awesome packaging though. You should save that Durham sack for your walkabout tobacco; too cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.