PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have a 1971 Castello "Castello" KKKK which I bought as an estate. It looks to me like it has a crack in the shank, but it's hard to notice. It doesn't seem to open up when inserting the stem. I almost wonder if the previous owner didn't have it glued. I would like to protect this shank from any further damage, but don't want to band it. For one, that would cover up the KKKK mark. For another, I like the pipe the way it is.
Ronni Bikacsan, better known as Ronni B, formerly of Nightowl PipeWorks and now retired from pipe repair, was a great and innovative pipe repairman from all I've read and heard. In addition to his Blueprint pipe conversions, which improved the draft on pipes, he had developed a process for repairing shanks which utilized a carbon fiber tube which was glued inside the shank. This eliminated any need for banding.
Does anyone know of a repairman who is offering that style of repair?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Whether or not that procedure is possible depends on the specific pipe.
Pics?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It's interesting what 58-yr-old eyes can see through the lens of a camera. I'm starting to think this has already been repaired with some sort of insert.
DSC00691-X3.jpg

DSC00674-X3.jpg

DSC00682-X3.jpg

DSC00703-X3.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
In the last photo, I used a bit of 0000 steel wool and alcohol to try to remove any tars. I can't say for certain that the black inner ring isn't tar, but I have had a fair amount of experience using steel wool and alcohol to remove tar and it's usually pretty effective. However, I'm leaning toward saying it's something other than tar. It's interesting to note the two dimples, located 180 degrees apart at nearly 12 and 6 o'clock. Perhaps a telltale sign of a tool?
The camera also revealed it's a KKK, not a KKK. I think the stem is a replacement, which isn't surprising if the shank had been damaged. A pipe of this vintage (it has a Reg No of 66171) should have an ivory insert for the white line. This insert has no grain to speak of, so I think it's acrylic, suggesting it's a replacement.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yup, you're good to go, I think.
The discoloration is concentric with the mortise, and the crack stops exactly at the discoloration.
I'm not sure what the material is, but a scratch with a sewing needle or the corner of a small file should settle it.
EDIT: we posted at the same time. I think you figured it out. :D
PS --- I think Jimmy Cook did the fix and made that stem back in the day. (Maybe Ronni B, but probably Jim)
DSC00703-_X3.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Nice photo editing George! This explains why the crack didn't seem to widen when I inserted the stem.
This pipe was part of a group of estates which included a couple 1980s Dunhill Shells, a Tim West, a couple Peterson Deluxe billiards, a couple Everyman, two identical Lane era Charatan pots (one unsmoked), a Charatan sandblasted poker, a repaired Dunhill Canadian shortened to a small billiard, a Sasieni Old England, and a few others, all for $400. What was great about all these is that the previous owner took excellent care of his pipes. All were easily cleaned internally with only a few pipe cleaners. This being the best pipe of the bunch, I bet it killed him to damage it and he probably paid for a good quality repair. I wonder if he might have sent to back to Castello, since the stem looks authentic and is a perfect fit.
Thanks for your expert assistance, George.

Oct 7, 2016
If the stem fits better than it looks in the second picture, Jim could very well have done it. There weren't many repair techniques that he hadn't mastered, and his and Rich Lewis' hand out Lucite stems were extremely well done.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The stem fit is perfect, actually. What appear to be gaps at the top and bottom are just reflections.
This was quite a nice surprise. I'll be smoking this pipe more frequently, now that I don't need to worry unnecessarily about damaging it.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Ronni B did a repair for me 8 years ago on an antique Meer pipe... his Blueprint conversion. The quality of the work was fantastic. Makes me sad that he's no longer repairing pipes. He was a gentleman to work with too.

Status
Not open for further replies.