PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just wanted to put the idea out there (and I know I'm not alone in this), that stingers can actually contribute to a cool dry smoke. So don't rip them out before you try them!
I bought an older Kaywoodie a while back and while the stinger makes for a tighter draw than I usually like, I also find that I can draw as forcefully as I like without burning the tongue. Maybe it's because the airflow is slower, but I can puff like a freight train and not end up with leather tongue. It's really a foolproof system, which may explain the long popularity of stingers. I find that my little Kaywoodie brings out the best in burley blends, like C&D Burley Flake #2. I can't wait to try this out with some Haunted Bookshop, which can be very harsh if smoked too aggressively.
Thoughts?
kaywoodie-stinger.jpg

kaywoodie.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
+1
I have only 3 pipes with stingers, and one did cause problems, but the other two give me no issues.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I like them particularly for when I want to smoke a pipe while doing something else, in which case I might get caught up in puffing a bit too fast.
Exactly. Smoking this pipe with a burley blend, I felt like I should be playing golf somewhere in the 1960s. The stinger is perfect for protecting your tongue/palate that way.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I have two Kaywoodies with stingers. The only time I've run into trouble is when I don't keep the stinger clean enough. The first one I got, I didn't realize that it would clog. But I was a pretty new piper, too, so I didn't realize how much cleaning was needed for non-systemized pipes even. Clogged stinger = very gurgly smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
SmokingPipes.com has an interesting blog on stingers. My experience has been that the smoke stream is cooled at the expense of troublesome condensation.

The stinger does block pipe cleaners, but if the shank-to-stem joint is all metal, I guess you could separate the two while the pipe is still hot.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I can pass a pipe cleaner through the stinger on my yellow bole centura. I have only had the pipe a few days, and even though I think it's ugly, it smokes very well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kaywoodies are good smoking pipes, and their stingers work well enough. I'm not sure they contribute

as compared to a non-stinger, non-filter pipe, but they don't seem to get in the way. You do have to

unscrew the stem after each smoke to wipe down the stinger. I do that with the same tissue I used to wipe

out the bowl. But it's a quick wipe, and no big deal. But the Kaywoodie is the only pipe I've kept with

a stinger. I owned a house pipe from L.L. Bean that had a stinger (a Dr. Grabow I think) a pot, that I finally

traded away because it just inhibited the flavor too much. It was a sturdy little pot and otherwise would

have been a keeper, especially with it's unusual L.L. Bean, Freeport Maine, stamp.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I've decided that I'm going to start collecting Kaywoodies. The decision was mostly sentimental b/c my first pipe was a Kaywoodie. I have about 10 coming that I got off Ebay and can't wait to clean them up and see what I've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.