PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I like t-shirts along with all the world. I have a number of treasured shirts from

events, places, or just with special designs. But let's face it, even if you are ultra in shape --

and few are -- a shirt with a collar and a little tailoring makes people look much better

than a t-shirt. Even for a work shirt, a collar and a little tailoring, short sleeved or long,

some structure in a shirt looks way better, and usually isn't any less comfortable.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Add a tie and cufflinks too.
cuffs.jpg

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I have recently discovered the difference a fitted shirt makes vs. your standard fit dress shirt (even if you have a little meat on your bones). It makes all the difference! A nice set of cufflinks can really set you apart also. Nice ones Kevin!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When I'm out and about I'm usually wearing a button down shirt with a collar, some dark wash jeans, a belt, and some loafers.
I definitely second a fitted shirt doing wonders. If anyone is interested go to your local TJ Maxx, that's where I get mine. They usually have Kenneth Cole or Calvin Klein or Michael Kohrs in regular fit, slim fit, or extreme slim fit which are basically just a better tailored shirt and run about $25 a shirt. It's a pretty good deal considering those shirts normally retail around $60 each.
What surprises me is how many times I get asked if I'm going on a job interview lol. If I was going on a job interview I'd be wearing slacks with the button down shirt, possibly a tie and blazer, and better shoes than my everyday loafers.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I wore a shirt and tie for work for years, now it's more casual with no tie required. I say comfort baby! I think for work its changing and jeans are common everyday to wear to work. I'll wear them along with a button up shirt and a sport coat sometimes or just the shirt other days.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since cuff links were mentioned I think I should note Brigham makes some really nice cuff links with just the Brigham B on them. If you're first name starts with a B they'd be nice to have. I picked up a pair of them at the West Coast Pipe Show, my first name is Brad btw.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My motto for the fall/winter is "keep it classy." Restocked on oxford button ups, some new ties, got a couple new vests and some new chinos. Now if only I could find some decent size 13 wingtips ...
suit-450x600.jpg

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Amen to the image and comfort, I'm actually less comfortable now on the rare ocassion I do wear a t-shirt. Coming to college has really changed my wardrobe-it's a conservative school and the dress code is just a little higher, for most students, though the rules on the book aren't any different. At any rate, simply wearing dress or sport buttoned shirts, and actually tucking the things in, has been a really nice change. Professors are more likely to take a well-dressed student seriously, and I've found that I'm more confident and focused.

It doesn't hurt that I need to wear a jacket and tie on an average of two or three days a week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to tune it, so I don't look stuffy or like I'm on my way to or from some other kind of event. But I do find that

dressing up just a notch really produces better treatment from strangers. If a tie is too dressy, at least a sports

jacket can often look sharp. Even for yard work, a work shirt with a collar (short sleeved if weather appropriate)

just looks more together than a "t." I think it is a respect toward others to look put together. Eons ago, when I

worked for the Veterans Administration (as it was then called), one of the trainers said, many of your clients will

come in in t-shirts and cut-offs, but you need to have on a jacket and tie, and further more, your clients expect

that, even though they don't know it; you're responsible for assisting them with their benefits, and they want you

to look responsible. That applies in most human relations.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Kevin, you are one stylish guy, that is for sure!!
Can you tell me the make & model of the watch you are wearing in the above photo? Looks very nice.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Ascots, isn't that the scarf that the guy on Scooby Doo used to wear? Just kidding I think they are great. I tend to wear clothes out for dress that make me look like I come from a different generation. I was the only one in a suit for my Son's honour role awards. I also do not let my children's teachers or principle call me by my first name. Schools have taken enough power from parents it's my way of holding on to a little more formality which tends to create respect.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I go back and forth on style vs. comfort. I used to work for a bank, and ties were required for the first several years, until the dress code was relaxed after a particularly unpleasant merger and HR needed to boost morale for those of us that were left... :D
Then I jumped ship and worked in a small IT department, where jeans were acceptable since we spent a good deal of time crawling around under desks, behind walls, and up in the suspended ceilings running cables. Polos and buttoned work shirts were required, but on "even more casual Fridays" you could get away with t-shirts or Henleys (which I preferred).
Now I'm working for an engineering consulting firm, and it's back to khakis and nicer shirts - polos or Oxfords preferred, no athletic shoes, look good for the client. I don't really mind - but I still like to get nice and comfy on the weekend in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt if I'm just hanging around the house, or hanging out at someone else's house.
But as I get more and more into Steampunk, I'm acquiring more and more nice outfits. Vests, a Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat (to go with the formal kilt), a bow tie (still need one that ties properly, plus a couple of ascots and a cravat or two), proper hats, etc. It's fun to look sharp!

Status
Not open for further replies.