PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I gotta say, I didn't think I was going to be a fan of the filters since generally I abhor them, but they really do a good job of taking the bite off of wetter smokes. Just nice cool smoke and no loss of flavor. What do people think of them?

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Love Savinelli filters. Use them in all pipes that have a 6mm bore, not only Savs.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I've thought about going to the hobby store to buy the balsa also. I'll do it for sure now. I have a Stanwell freehand that had that annoying 9mm filter in it that clicked every time I drew on it. Plus it was too restrictive. I ended up out of necessity trimming the top off of one of those 6mm balsa filters and paired it with a full sized one and it took up the space nicely and created the perfect draw. It's one of my best smokers now. Happy little accident.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Try an international Falcon with a 6mm balsa filter and a dry ring. Absolutely no moisture or gook gets through that combination. I do this when I don't want to concentrate on my smoking and just puff away.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
It seems that the absorptive properties of the balsa just cut the moisture to nil and blends that used to bite me a bit now are great. I'm two for two in it so far. New discoveries abound daily in the piper's world.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I have four Savinellis and in general I like how the filters work. I stopped using them because they don't allow a pipe cleaner to pass through to the bowl in order to stop gurgling.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I have a few Savinelli's that take a 6mm. I used the filters when I bought my first pipe that accepted the 6mm, think it was a 413ks, but then just stopped. I really didn't notice a huge difference so I haven't gone back to them in any of my pipes. I agree with radio, it got in the way of a pipe cleaner if I needed to use one.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I've got 3 Savinellis, none of them particularly high grade, and they're all great smokers. I use the inserts 90% of the time. I don't notice any impairment of the draw, and they suck a lot of moisture out of the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.