In Praise of Rattray's Plastic Capped Tins.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
From mid July to mid August this year I went on a bit of a spending spree on new to me blends for me to try out. Though a few arrived in pouches the vast majority came in tins, both round and square and all 50g in size. However two blends arrived in tall metal tins with plastic caps to be used once the metal sealing lid was peeled back. These were 100g tins of Brown Clunee and Hal O' The Wynd, both by Rattray's of course.
Now it is mid September and all my pouches and 50g tins I have had to add wet pieces of terracotta to them to maintain some moisture else they would have almost dried out. I could have used glass jars but for the small amounts involved and the space they would take up it hardly seemed worthwhile, besides, the wet terracotta trick works a treat.
The abovementioned Rattray's tins however have held up very well indeed without needing any added moisture. I swear the tobacco therein is as moist today as when it arrived here in the first week of August. I was actually quite wary of the plastic lids holding up when they arrived but I needn't have worried, they evidently have a very good seal, far better than what the other tins offer.
I do appreciate that 'regular' tins will only keep tobacco good for a short while but I am surprised at the Rattray's tins. I can see them keeping their contents reasonably moist for as long as it will take me to smoke them.
Once empty of course I shall re-use them for storing 'loose' tobacco such as I buy from Gawith & Hoggarth.
Just thought I would mention it :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Jay SPC use similar tins, last October I opened a tin of Potlatch smoked half and forgot about it. Checked it a few days ago and it's in perfect smoking condition.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Rattrays Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie are two of my very favorite tobaccos, in fact they are probably my favorite non-English blend tobaccos, along with Solani ABF. I cellar both of them heavily and like myself, they only get smoother with age!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
If only they would put out Wallace Flake in larger options other than the 50g tins.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Oldreddog, when I was a RYO smoker I used to mix 50/50 Old Holborn and Sampson and kept in a similar style tin that originally held grated Parmesan cheese of all things, and my baccy was always perfect. I must dig out that old tin and put it to good use :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.
PS:I just read up on Potlatch and see it has Latakia...not one I will likely try.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just read up on Bagpiper's Dream and see it is an aromatic. I also see my preferred seller only has 100g tins so it would be a hell of a gamble (£24:50 about $30) just to try an aro I may not take to.
Interesting to see it is cognac though, that's a first for me. Seen plenty of rum and whisky/whiskey blends but never cognac. I'm quite partial to the liquid variety though :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Coyote, interesting thought, thanks, but you can be certain that with shipping costs it would actually work out even more expensive.
I do so envy the prices you Americans pay for your tobaccos, also the selection available to you is vast compared to what we have access to.
That said, some blends such as certain S. Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarth and Germain produce you seem to have difficulty in accessing...I blame the hoarders who buy up anything and everything as soon as it becomes available just in case the world implodes :crazy:
When all is said and done, we all pay way over the top for the weed we cram into our pipes irrespective of where we live.
Regards,
Jay.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I won't pay premium price for a blend that doesn't come in a traditional tobacco tin with a gasketed metal lid. I especially can't stand those cardboard cans w/plastic lids. Really reeks of profit-oriented costcutting.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The cans have worked well for me too, but the blends even better. Hal O' The Wynd is a treasure of pipe-smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.