PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
It occurred to me whilst smoking my Grand Duke earlier today that this is an excellent pipe, performing far beyond it's price. Yes, it's not the pretiest briar. And yes the stem leaves something to be desired. But the pipe outperforms its price, with a wide open draw, good weight, and ease of cleaning.
I frequently smoke while grubby outsidemon the farm and appreciate a pipe in this price range that performs so well.
I'm not suggesting we trade in our more aesthetic pipes. Simply stating that thisnis an excellent pipe, particularly in comparison to it's direct price competitors. I think I will pick up another.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have a family heirloom grabow that i wont smoke, but your right, they hold up for a while. the pipe still actually looks good and does seem to have a decent draw.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
sothron,

I just bought a Grabow Grand Duke, Viscount, and a Frank Medico...
I wanted them as my first briars for all of the reasons you describe. There's nothing wrong with having a good workhorse pipe! They appeared to be in great condition and I hope that I enjoy them every bit as much as you enjoy yours...
Was this a new Grabow or an estate?
If I get a new one it'll be an Omega Smooth in the Peterson style, as I discussed in one of my earlier threads. They look sharp and they are apparently decent smokers...
I do have plans to get a meerschaum and "better" briars but since I am more concerned with the tobacco I'm smoking than the pipe I'm smoking it in they are a lesser priority for me.

Reactions: Greybeard65

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
particularly in comparison to it's direct price competitors.
What's a "direct price competitor" to a Grabow? (Personally, the only pipes I smoke that are that inexpensive are MM.)

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
What's a "direct price competitor" to a Grabow? (Personally, the only pipes I smoke that are that inexpensive are MM.)
There are a few cheap pipe companies, for example Yello-Bole (pipes under $20) or Kriswill (pipes around $40ish).

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Just got my first dr garbow pipe yesterday off of Craigslist with a few other pipes, cleaned it last night letting it dry today and goin to smoke it tomorrow. I have heard nothing but good things from people so I am excited to try it!

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
You are correct, Dr. Grabow pipes are excellent for the price. I own several, and smoke them daily. I really like the filter, as it does a good job of absorbing moisture and mellowing the smoke a bit. Grabow's filter system is, IMHO, the best of it's kind. Simple, effective and it works. I smoke with the filter when I want a fuss-free smoke, such as when driving or working around the house. No fiddling with pipe cleaners during the smoke. I find that the filter is good for about 2-3 bowls before needing to be changed.
I had an opportunity to tour the factory a few years ago. I got to meet everyone involved in making Dr. Grabow pipes. From the young man sorting briar to the gentleman responsible for making the filters. It's a fascinating place, and a true American icon. One the last American pipe factories. If you can arrange it, definitely make the trip to Sparta, NC and stop in for a tour. They're friendly, down-to-earth folks, and always welcome visitors.
I spent the whole day observing every operation of manufacturing, including the inlaying of the "spade" in the stems. Very cool. They sell pipes on-site and will allow you to hand pick from their massive inventory. I purchased a few nearly flawless straight grains! Just be sure to bring cash, as they don't take credit cards.
And no, they don't "pre-smoke" the pipes anymore, but the old machine is still there on display, complete with spilled tobacco scattered about.
I'm always on the lookout for new Grabow's at the local Walgreen's and purchase them regularly. I'm trying to do my part to support the folks at Grabow. They make a great product - Made in America, by Americans, for Americans.
CACooper

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have a couple of Grabow's, very reliable! Despite the lower price, they have a home beside my Petersons and Brighams. I wouldn't pass up buying more in the future if I see a shape I like.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I've got eight Grabows and smoke them daily. They can be excellent smokers, in fact WAY better than those in my collection by Dunhill, Stanwell, Bjarne, Boswell, etc.

The also like the filter, at least with certain blends (lat bombs and aros). I've had some bad ones, as well, but for the price you can get three or four Grabows for the price of a new Stanwell or Sav.

They deserve a better reputation, I think. No, they are by no mean an artisan pipe and you should look elsewhere if you're wanting to "ooh" and "ah" over the quality of the grain. But for the day to day act of smoking, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good Grabow.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
(Personally, the only pipes I smoke that are that inexpensive are MM.)

---- that's not cool mate.
What's not cool? Saying I don't smoke Grabows? I didn't say the OP was wrong in smoking those pipes; I just said I don't.

Aug 1, 2012
I'll admit to a little bit of former snobbery. Until I tried them I sort of looked down on Yello-Bole pipes. Now I love a good Y-B and will happily add more to my collection. The same goes for Willard pipes. Haven't tried a Grabow yet but I have a blue color duke waiting in the wings for a resto. Who knows, I may even like the good doctor's pipes as well. I have a chance to pick up a few from the 50s-70s for $3-5 each and I just might do it. Do the ones I have smoke on the level of my Sav? No, but darn close.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I smoke em and like em.But,i'm a pipe heathen..like my MM cobs and Falcons to :D

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I've got five Dr. Grabows and have no real complaints. They all smoke just fine.
Having said that, andI could be completely wrong, but it seems like the Dr.Grabows of yesteryear (30's-60's) were of much higher quality than they are now.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Greetings,
You are correct, Dr. Grabow pipes are excellent for the price. I own several, and smoke them daily. I really like the filter, as it does a good job of absorbing moisture and mellowing the smoke a bit. Grabow's filter system is, IMHO, the best of it's kind. Simple, effective and it works. I smoke with the filter when I want a fuss-free smoke, such as when driving or working around the house. No fiddling with pipe cleaners during the smoke. I find that the filter is good for about 2-3 bowls before needing to be changed.
I had an opportunity to tour the factory a few years ago. I got to meet everyone involved in making Dr. Grabow pipes. From the young man sorting briar to the gentleman responsible for making the filters. It's a fascinating place, and a true American icon. One the last American pipe factories. If you can arrange it, definitely make the trip to Sparta, NC and stop in for a tour. They're friendly, down-to-earth folks, and always welcome visitors.
I spent the whole day observing every operation of manufacturing, including the inlaying of the "spade" in the stems. Very cool. They sell pipes on-site and will allow you to hand pick from their massive inventory. I purchased a few nearly flawless straight grains! Just be sure to bring cash, as they don't take credit cards.
And no, they don't "pre-smoke" the pipes anymore, but the old machine is still there on display, complete with spilled tobacco scattered about.
I'm always on the lookout for new Grabow's at the local Walgreen's and purchase them regularly. I'm trying to do my part to support the folks at Grabow. They make a great product - Made in America, by Americans, for Americans.
CACooper
Gotta agree with you CA. I've made that tour twice and found it fascinating. Also agree about the filters. Most of the pipes I smoke are filter type Grabows although I have pipes from just about every grabow line made. Most are estates but I do buy a new one now and then.
Captainsousie--don't know if you are aware of it but your Willard was made by by the Grabow folks at Sparta. The were available only through RJR coupon offers or at military post exchanges.

Aug 1, 2012
I was not aware of that ejames. Thanks for the information, I may have to be on the lookout for some more Grabows/Willards.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I have a couple Grabows and they are great.Granted they are all estates I've restored except for my first/only store bought Omega P-Lip...which is my 2nd go to pipe my first is another Grabow, bent Riviera estate.Love them both

Status
Not open for further replies.