PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
After over five years of enjoying this hobby, I think CBK may have become my "desert island" blend. This is the only blend I order in 8oz tins. Flavor is great, but not too sweet. Moisture level is perfect. Room note is enjoyable. I love the crumble kake cut. Pipe fills easily, and it burns great. Thanks Mr. Ouelette for this fine blend.
I would love recommendations for blends along the same lines as CBK from other folks who also really like it.
Bill

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I love stories like this, the blend that really sings. Old Joe Krantz was the break out burley blend for me. Gonna have to try this CBK.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley is not for everyone, but for thems of us who like it, it really sings. CD is one of the masters of blends including burley. Semois is the single malt Scotch of tobacco leaf. I don't like every last burley, and I've given up most of the aromatic versions for sure. But when it's good, ah, it is very very good.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have tasted a number of Burley blends I was not crazy about. Virginias, VaPers and some aromatics generally make up my favorite blends.Recently however I have come to appreciate a Burley blend from my local B&M that I really like very much. It is actually my current favorite smoke.
Does that make me Bi? :mrgreen:

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Does that make me Bi? :mrgreen:
This is a no judgement zone.
I loved the flavor and cut of CBK. The moisture was perfect. Problem is, it bit me like a rabid dog. I'm a burley guy, but the anise/licorice casing on CBK is what I suspect does not agree with me. Happened with other blends using the same topping. Too bad, because Russ really hit the mark with this one.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm the same as Skraps. Love the taste, bites like Hell...
Okie...you aren't Bi, I'd say your just...confused. :crazy:

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I really enjoy Chatham Manor as well as Prince Andrew. How cool would it be to get to hang out with Russ O and learn the art of blending?

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I still have quite a bit of CBK from a pound I purchased shortly after its initial release. I found it had too much anise to my liking, smoked hot, and always got cigarette like by mid bowl. Not a favorite of mine. However, I've heard a while ago that there was some tweaking to the amount of flavorings used and perhaps the more recent offering would be more to my liking. Some day I'll give it a go.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I'm a little surprised to hear about folks getting bitten by CBK. Though I am learning mouth chemistry varies. I tried a Newminster blend I loved the flavor of but couldn't smoke it at all. Tiniest sip bit me bad. I usually smoke burleys in smaller bowls to avoid the mid-bowl bitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.