Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

In Praise of Bacon and Eggs

(40 posts)
  1. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So Miss Sothron is still convalescing from a severe bought, and then relapse, of flu. That's what she gets for going to town last week. So I'm fending for myself. (Hence the 'round the clock pipe smoking and alcohol drinking). So I'm making myself bacon and eggs for dinner. I picked up two dozen eggs from the hay barn (where the birds like to lay) earlier this afternoon. So no problems there. And I was able to get my hands on a bunch of fresh bacon from a fella down the road. So I've been living on bacon and eggs for breakfast and dinner. What a great meal - can't be beat.

I can't believe various interests have been able to malign bacon and eggs and scare away so many folks from these great foods. I fry up the bacon, drain the grease, and then add my eggs. Fry that mess up, flip it once or twice, and feast on a grand mess of bacon'eggs.

Any other bacon & eggs fans out there?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, for sure it is one of my favorites. By the way, my wife is also having the Flue relapse from the first bout of 2 weeks ago.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah this Year's flu seems to take two rounds. It's not just your wife.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I don't eat bacon due to bibiical dietary laws, but I can eat beef fry instead, which is the same thing from a cow. That plus the eggs makes for a tasty meal indeed!

But if you're a temporary bachelor, you can also try to get invited to meals and also eat out at coffee shops and restaurants.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bacon and eggs is one of my favorite meals, especially when they are fresh bacon and eggs!!!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. misterzombie

misterzombie

Login to Send PM

I love bacon and eggs! The breakfast for champions.

To make this board relevant, if you like bacon and eggs, I really recommend trying Vermont Meat Candy from Hearth and Home. It is delicious and tastes like maple covered bacon.

"If you meet Buddha, kill Buddha. If you meet your father, kill your father. Attached to nothing, bound by nothing. Live life for the sake of life itself." - Buddhist proverb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's what I had today, though I opted for scrambled with a double helping of bacon.

Good for the ol' arteries...

*Reaches for beer*

Say, can you hand me my pipe?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yadan, I'm pretty rural so no coffee shops or restaurants in my immediate future. Plus I would hate to leave Miss Sothron all alone at night.

Bigboi: you can't beat fresh eggs!

Mister Z: hence the 'general' sub forum

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. englishdave

englishdave

Login to Send PM

+1 on bacon & eggs. Farm fresh eggs are a staple for me, I have a local source who provides me 18 at a time for $3. It's my favorite go to food and takes no time to prepare.

Sometimes I just fry up some ham that's fresh off the bone for a change of pace. Get experimental, add some fried onion or mushrooms, or cheese.

A wonderful, rustic food.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. wallace

wallace

Login to Send PM

Big fan of bacon and eggs. When we go camping/hunting we'll yard out the biggest cast iron pan we've got, fry up a pound of bacon, drain off some of the grease (optional), pour in a bag of frozen hash browns along with a dozen eggs, stir it all up and a finer breakfast has never graced the great outdoors. Love it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dave- there's such a difference in texture, color, and flavor between fresh and industrial eggs, isn't there? It's a shame so few people get to experience them. Though I guess the same can be said for a variety of common staple foods from milk to beef, to vegetables and fruits. With eggs, I suppose the difference is just set in sharper relief.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. misterzombie

misterzombie

Login to Send PM

Aha I didn't even realize because I just look at threads on the main forum page and not directly in the subforums.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bacon and eggs is one of those ace card meals. Simple and always so so good. Add toast, homefries and black coffee or red wine depending on the time of day and you have a meal fit for a king.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love bacon and eggs... normally with my eggs scrambled. There's just something about scrambled eggs. And doing what I do for a living, I am a part of many people's meals... as I am the one that sells them their thick sliced smoked bacon out of my counter. Bacon makes everything better.

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eggs too (fresh eggs, not what you get from a grocer), but Oh My GAWD, I love BACON!

But since it's around $3 or more a pound, I mostly don't buy it, both out of protest, and because I'm a cheapskate ....also because I want to leave a few bucks for my one of my kids when I get dead....but mostly because I'm a cheapskate and don't splurge on myself for anything besides pipe tobacco and booze.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

I have hens here at the farm and there isnt anything better than them eggs and bacon in the morn, or even for dinner,,or lunch, or in between...

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I like bacon and eggs in all their various forms.
    A particular favorite is to pour beaten eggs over the bacon before it gets crispy (though crispy is good too)!
    The resultant omelet is pretty rich in terms of fat, but as an occasional indulgence it can't be beat.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am most certainly a bacon & eggs guy! My favorite meal. Eggs over easy. Love an English Muffin on the side with Orange Marmalade.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a bacon and over-easy guy my-own-self...
    However; if I go the scrambled route, I'll chunk in two or three quarters of apple-wood smoked yellow ghost chili...
    Just for fun.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have to watch it. Bacon & eggs = cardiac city.

I like it, but certainly a once-a-week thing for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Lawrence:

yellow ghost chili[s]

Are those the thermonuclear hot peppers? Like, 100 x's hotter than a jalapeño?

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Bacon,Eggs,and Potato Pancakes

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. hunter185

hunter185

Login to Send PM

Bacon and eggs were the main staple at our hunting camp...but everything ended up cooked in tons of bacon grease (image of drooling Homer Simpson comes to mind). Bacon, eggs, steak, potatoes, beer and whiskey for a week...

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. drlpipe

drlpipe

Login to Send PM

Known for breakfast, but I love it as a quick weeknight dinner around here. Cheers

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are those the thermonuclear hot peppers? Like, 100 x's hotter than a jalapeño?

Yup, Cortez.
    Jalapeno max Scoville Heat Units = 3,000
    Yellow Bhut Jolokia "Yellow Ghost" ≈ 800,000 to 1,200,000 SHUs

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ghost chilli's are beyond my tolerance and I love hot food. I settle for a little thai chilli paste in my eggs, and yes I'm all in on the bacon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Lawrence must have more hair on his balls than on his head.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you think eggs are bad for you then you are reading the wrong books

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you think eggs are bad for you then you are reading the wrong books

According to my wife, the RN, the view on eggs has changed over the past few years, so we can happily eat 'em.

I love bacon, but, since I no longer have a gall bladder, I only eat turkey bacon. Trader Joe's sells some that is very good. No, it's not the real thing, but it will do nicely. (Uncured, not nitrates or nitrites.)

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think eggs and bacon get a bad rap for cholesterol. I enjoy them several days a week (5-6 days). I'm not a doctor, but in my observations, cholesterol problems are more likely due to genetics and consumption of sugars. When I was on the Atkins diet, I ate bacon and eggs every morning, along with other evil things like red meat, etc. When the doctor took my cholesterol, it was well below the limits. When I was off the Atkins diet, and eating "normally", my cholesterol levels were elevated above where they had been. My great grandfather lived on the farm all his life and ate bacon and eggs everyday. He also ate lots of red meat and pork chops, roasts, etc. He lived until 95 and it wasn't heart disease that took him. I think all things in moderation and try to eliminate as much of the processed and sugary foods that you can is the best way to go.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth, Jud is right. You may want to look into adding eggs and bacon back into your diet more regularly without fear of raising your cholesterol.

That said, I spent the day at the ER with Miss Sothron. A farm girl, she hasn't been sick in many years. But this bug has her bit badly. So I'm on my own again. No bacon-n-eggs (had 'em for breakfast again). But a long night of smoking ahead of me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eggs and real Butter are both making a big comeback .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't even get me started on butter! We make real (real) butter, and I've done the butter vs margarine ant experiment. It's true!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bacon, two eggs over easy, big pile of grits and a home made buttermilk biscuit with cane syrup! Heaven!

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't used margarine in years. Too much nasty stuff in there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All things are good in moderation and if you eat a relatively healthy diet and regularly exercise you can surely fit a weekly bacon and eggs meal in to a healthy life style.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bacon and eggs are a good start...

But my favorite breakfast involves frying up some hash browns, chopping the bacon into bits, scrambling the eggs, and mixing it all together to be either topped with green chile sauce and cheese, or wrapped up in a tortilla which is then smothered in green chile sauce and cheese.

It's a southwestern thing.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love bacon. In fact, if you ever get to Camden Yards, go to Dempsey's restaurant, they have bacon on a stick. That's right, a HUGE slab of bacon, smoked, grilled and then BBQ'd bacon, ON A STICK!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would bet a weeks wages that even a vegan likes bacon even if he just drools on himself. Farm fresh eggs are outstanding!!! Crap I just ate and now I'm hungry again. Thanks boys.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did the late-night thing at IHOP....
    Sampler... Sorry Sothron... Substituted Link Sausage for bacon.
    I know... I'm weak.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   grouchydog, petes03, w2srg, tbradsim1, owen, daveinlax, oldreddog, sidious, sparks, shaintiques, wulvern, lestrout, mattsem, junkyarddawg, hittelusedpipes, woodsroad, jitterbugdude, trailboss, bulldogbriar89, fmgee, peckinpahhombre