PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My favorite blends are all non-aromatics, from great English blends like 965, Nightcap,

Nat Sherman 536, and Altadis Fox and Hound (and many more), and fabulous burley

blends from the old OTCs codgers to C&D's amazing array of classic and newer blends.

But I wouldn't miss the occasional aromatic smokes, that clear my taste buds and do a

change-up in flavor for a bowl or two before diving back into the non-aromatics. I like

tobacco forward aros with a bit of zest, sweetness or tang, which for me include Lanes LL-7,

Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge and Dark Obsession, and Peterson Special 2013 Reserve. It

makes those Latakia and exceptional burley blends come back around in all their splendor.

Are there other mostly non-aro smokers who enjoy an aro now and then?

There are a few that I enjoy, MacBaron's Vanilla Flake, H&D Original Orange, and there are more that I am trying on for size. I like one in the mornings especially or on movie nights, times when the family is together.
Mostly I am a Virginia/ VaPer sort of guy. So a light aromatic is a nice change of pace. But, if aromatics were my only choices for a smoke, I'd just quit. There's really nothing in an aromatic that gives me the same pleasure as a nice well aged Virginia.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I do mso,a bowl of Petersons Sherlock Holmes is a nice zesty start to Saturday morning.

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm mostly a Virginia/VaPer/Oriental guy, but I still have a soft spot for a good aro. I actually only have one in stock at the moment, and I'm thinking I've got to change that on my next order. Definitely going to get some Bagpipers Dream, and there's a couple from C&D and Peterson that I might try, too.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Lately, I've been smoking Peterson's Special Reserve 2014. Added some Dark Burley to kick it up a notch. I will say, I have been rather enjoying this. Even craving it at the end of the day.
I smoke all types of blends which is really the way to enjoy this hobby.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm with cosmic in that if only aro's were available to me I would probably no longer smoke a pipe. To me, not much taste other than a hot vapid air. About the only tobacco that I smoke which comes close to an aro is Peterson's University Flake which I absolutely love. However, I just ordered a tin of Bagpiper's Dream two days ago from 4noggins as I'd like to try it out after hearing some positive things about it. We'll see...

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Sure. I don't like a lot of aros, but the ones I do I like a LOT.

Classic Burley Kake, Autumn Evening, Captain Cool, Mountain Mall Mix, Shortcut to Mushrooms are all very good aros. Also, the whole Lakeland line from G&H is awesome.

Jan 8, 2013
I love this thread :) I'm on neutral ground myself. I'll switch from Balkans to Aros from one pipe to the next. I enjoy them both for what they are. It really just depends on which I'm in the mood for. Yesterday I smoked a virginia and couple aros. Today it looks like I'll be smoking an aro and perhaps a balkan or two. For those of you that mentioned Bagpiper's Dream, in my opinion you've made a fantastic choice. I believe that one deserves a genre all it's own and it's one of my favorites. I just finished a bowl of it only a few minutes before I saw this thread. It's a wonderful tobacco that burns very well, with a great room note and taste. You won't be disappointed :)

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I like the occasional aro too. Usually a Boswell's Sweet Tea or some Bagpiper's Dream. I enjoy the variety of all kinds of tobacco. Why not?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Good to hear more positive notes on Bagpipers Dream. As for aro's; it's not that I dislike them, but that I simply get no satisfaction from them. It's like sitting down for a much anticipated meal and only being served a small salad. I need and want more to be satiated. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.