PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Kaywoodie Ruff-Tone is a wonderful old pipe, outmoded but all the better for it. It's a Drinkless, which means a stinger. My particular version is an author shape, more or less, and the Ruff-Tone series has wide grooves running down the bowl, seven of them, for luck I suppose, and four more on the shank, two on either side. There is faint visible grain, and nothing poetic, but it is a compact little package with plenty of bowl for its size and weight. Right now I'm smoking C&D Super Balkan in it, and it smokes effortlessly, no particular weight, good balance, smooth draw, just nifty. I never mind unscrewing the stem to wipe off the stinger, and I even imagine it refines the smoke a bit. U.S. factory pipes, maybe especially the outmoded ones, have a certain staid glory. They don't all flash and most don't glow, but they sure do smoke well. I can't think of a single complaint.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I do appreciate me some artisan pipes...some Danes...both for aesthetics and function...but I too appreciate a number of the good ol' US made factory pipes. Kaywoodie, Grabow, LHS...some great smoking pipes, and some lookers to boot! I wouldn't mind seeing a "show us your favorite US factory pipes" thread some time. They may be outmoded for some...but not for me.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
U.S. factory pipes, maybe especially the outmoded ones, have a certain staid glory
Absolutely! That's where I come from, being a mid-century kind of guy, living in a mid-century ranch style house smoking my mid-century American pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll follow up my original post by saying I'm now having a bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic in a Kaywoodie push stem straight blast billiard panel. This is a more recent design if not more recently made than my Drinkless, a little more snazzy in a blast, but has the same trusty compact sturdy feel.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I’ve got five or so old Medico ventilators, an old Alpha and an ancient Dr Grabow (my Dad’s) that I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.