PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
It's been a while since I have been on the forums. I have been trying to spend less time on the Internet and more doing other things. I have been keeping up with the podcast and something I heard a few weeks ago made me think a little. Early on in my pipe smoking I had a bowl of Erik Nording's Hunters Blend Beagle, and it was amazing! It was peppery, flavorful and my favorite aspect tangy on the back of the tongue. Since then I have been chasing that experience. I have tried a bunch of other va/pers trying to match that experience, even more tins of beagle, but I just haven't enjoyed another bowl as much as that one. It seems that now I always get tongue bite, gurgle (even slowly smoking an almost crumbling dry tobacco), frustrated, and just can't find that amazing experience I once had. During this time I have been completely ignoring other types of tobacco. On a whim I picked up a tin of Frog Morton's Cellar. It has been great! Its cool smoking, flavorful, it smells great, and best of all, effortless. Since I have broken out some Nightcap I had siting on my shelf, picked up some On the Town, and EMP. Oh and a tin of Grousemoore out of curiosity. As a result of Brian's podcast piece about not being afraid of dark tobaccos I think I understand why I have had these experiences. Sorry about the wordy post, but has been a while and I guess I just feel like I needed to vent.
I dont want to give up on my va/pers completely, so what can I do? Has anyone else had an experience similar to this?

Should I dedicate a pipe to the Grousemoore? I have heard it can ghost badly.

Overall, like the title says, I just need some guidance.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Hell, feel free to give up on Va/Pers! At least for the moment. Just jar what you have, continue your exploration into other blends and eventually come back to them and try again. I did that exact thing with EMP, and NightCap and when I came back to them I enjoyed them all the more for their uniqueness in comparison to the other blends I have been trying.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'd dedicate a lakeland pipe if you want to smoke blends from that category with any regularity. And hanging on to the blends is a good idea, especially since VA blends will show marked improvement with age.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For what ever reason, sometimes a category of blends we used to enjoy, just don't cut it anymore. Since you have found some blends you are enjoying just stay with those and then re visit the vapers down the road.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
A while back I bought a tin of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. Finally, I've gotten around to smoking it a lot and I have to say it is excellent. Smokes beautifully, and tastes great. A solid vaper. I definitely dedicate pipes. 3 pipes I have dedicated to lakelands but I will smoke burley in any of my pipes and enjoy the ghost of previous bowls.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I started out a VaPer fan and it's all I sought out. Almost as quickly, I began not enjoying each smoke, and thought "well maybe pipe smoking isn't for me". Then I tried my first Virginia Flake, and my VaPers are sitting all lonesome in a jar.
So, if you're enjoying Latakia right now- stick those VaPers in mason jars and you can come back to them in 1 month or 10 years- whatever you want.
A suggestion- why not try Frog Morton On the Bayou? It has perique in it, if you still think you want that spice.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
After my initial re-introduction to pipe smoking, I started with aro's. The tobacconist suggested I try Frog Morton cellar, amongst other brands and I really didn't care for them at all.
From there to Va's, Va/pers, and back to Frog Morton cellar and the like (EMP, Squadron Leader, Bald Headed Teacher etc).
From what I thought I didn't originally like I now LOVE.
Tastes change, mature, whatever.
Cellar it, and in 6 months, who knows?

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I will be the first to admit that my pallet is not as sophisticated as some. I read some of the reviews about a certain blend and when I try it I think WTF are they talking about? I have never taken a piece of wood and wrapped it in leather and sprinkled cinnamon on it and chewed on it. I have found myself recently trying to describe Mac Baren's Plumbcake to a friend and I did use the word "Buttery" about the finish. I don't know if I am the only one on the planet to experience this, but I am off to the B & M today to pick up another tin.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks all for the responses and sorry for not keeping up with the posts. We are in the middle of harvest and extra time has been somewhat sparse. I have all of my tabacco jarred up so no worries there. I will give the va and va/pers some time in there and revisit them after some time I think. Right now I have been kind of trying something new and smoking following the tobaccos instruction if thats what you want to call it. I have been smoking EMP in the morning with my coffe, some frog mortons during the day when I get the chance (no smoking in the tractor cab or semi) and nightcap in the evening. I have to say that it has been very enjoyable and pipe smoking has become very relaxing for me again. craig94yj I wouldn't say I have as sophisticated pallets as either, but I know when I am enjoying something. I have a tin of plumbcake that I bought early on somewhere. I will break it out again and give it another try. Thanks for the reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.