PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
As many of you know I have recently become unemployed. With the stress of being the stay at home dad and the stress from the wife to get a job I could realy use some strait up motivation any one out there willing to give me a call PM me with your number.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It's a bitch, man. Best thing to do is make finding a job your job and hit it from 8am til the sun goes down at night. Reward yourself for a hard day's work with a whiskey and a pipe then hit it again the next morning.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I am kind of in the same boat, just no kids. I'm not sure where you live or your credentials but temp agencies are usually a good start. Also if you input your resume to careerbuilder.com employers will send you possible job opportunities. I hope things work out for you. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
@ baron -been doing that since I started looking bro. I am just getting frustrated. Its been a month and only one interview. Its not so much the stress from looking. Its everything roled up. I was excited to be the stay at home dad with my 20 month old. I have never gone more than a couple weeks between jobs. The wife is freeking out and I am so exhausted at the end of the day. The wife doesn't understand what I am dealing with and has pretty much alienated me.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
There are no easy answers and everyone I know in this situation is at their breaking point. It's hard on a man when there is just nothing happening, it becomes a big chore just to stay motivated. "Hang in there" isn't enough most days - you need the hard stuff of finding work and earning a living.
Believe me, it's just as difficult for me to offer advice to you man. It's like, what do I know? I'm not in your situation and I don't have a freakin clue what you're going through. Sometimes I question whether or not it's a good idea to even offer advice and pep talks. Saying "I've been there too" doesn't mean shit, really (even though I have).
The only thing I can say is, your family needs you and what you can provide. You are still the husband and father and, no matter the job situation, that won't change.
I'll also make this one small suggestion. The internet can be fun, and often we get to talk to some folks who can pick us up when we're down, but it can also be a lonely, depressing freakin place at times. It's easy to sit and sit and sit and before you know it, things have passed us by. The kids and wife and LIFE need us to ENGAGE. I see so many people walking around these days, especially kids, who can go an entire day without even taking their eyes off a screen. It makes me sick. My advice would be to talk to people, face to face, not just searching online endlessly, go talk to some places you're interested in working, stop by a golf course, "are you guys looking for someone", anything to mix it up and get your mind offline for a while and begin to appreciate the stuff we do have, like your family, and just LIVE and ENJOY the time you're spending before things turn around for you man.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
That realy helps Adam, thanks. I have been doing that as much as I can, its been hard though when my income was ore than 50% of the house hld. I havent gone crazy yet but its getting close to that.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Tell the wife what you are dealing with bro. Life is life and it comes at you how it comes at you. Sometimes it kicks you in the teeth and while you are down on the ground looking for your teeth it kicks you in the face again and then in the nuts while you are down. All a man can do is fight back every day until things are what he wants them to be. Baron gave sound advice. Still it does catch up to you now and then and you have to be able to go to your woman and tell her how beat up you feel and how frustrated you are. You not telling her just leads her to see you as cranky all the time. I'd alienate you too. Cheer up man and keep swingin'. Never give up the fight and for god's sake, talk to your woman.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Toker, I can't say that I understand your feelings because I have never been in similiar shoes, but.... if you are doing everything possible, perhaps a quiet heart to heart talk with wifey would be better than argueing. I think I can understand her "freaking out" if money is an issue but if you are working at finding work then there is not much else you can do except continue on. I know things will work out for you if you persist and I wish you and your family all the best.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
She is probably as stressed as you are, but dealing with it differently. Remember you two are a team. Sit down together and figure out how much $ you get in unemployment and she earns. Subtract out rent, utilities etc and see what is left. What can y'all give up during this period? What does it take to get ends to meet? Bag lunchs instead of the cafeteria? How long will savings last until you need to start working anywhere?
Now start celebrating victories together! Phone interview, major sale on meat or diapers, whatever y'all enjoy. Start jogging or just walking together. Exercise burns stress.
YOU ARE THE LEADER! You set the tone for the family. Don't shrink into a shell. You can either let this period make you stronger or break you.
Man, I remember my early years of marriage. This is what I wish someone had told me then. Life gets better. Don't give up.
Your friend, Winton

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Sent it back to you. As I said in the email I had my girlfriend look at it as well. (she is an English teacher) Really little things can make all the difference. I know it may be strange to accept help from someone in the same boat lol but I have had job offers but am looking for the right fit. You have good experience and that is what I am lacking. I hope what we did will help you out.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
It looks great what few changes you and your girl made. My wife the english major and communications second major agrees with them. The one I sent was her revised draft.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I am glad it helped you out. Maybe the wife will let you visit PM more often now lol. It is interesting that both are ladies are in English related fields. You seem to be in business and I am marketing. Strange world.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
My suggestion is to contact a temp agency Monday morning and take whatever they have that you are able to do, for whatever they pay. It may not be suitable employment for the long haul, but you will be working, earning and feeling better because you are. Doors will open..you'll see.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
+1 billinsfl....that is what I had to do the last time I was in this situation...8 months before I got a job and the job was a fraction of what I was use to getting paid. I found it was better to look for a job while working at any job you can get is better then being at home with to much time to think about worse case.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I've walked a few miles in your shoes, bro. I know how it feels. You can only do as much as you can possibly do. No more. If the wifey is freaking out, have a heart to heart with her, and communicate that you cannot bleed blood from a turnip. You're doing what you can and you're at the mercy of the universe and all its machinations.
In the end, what can the world do, take away your birthday?
That sounds silly, but that little statement has gotten me through some hard times. Essentially, if everything was taken away from me, I'm still standing and, unless someone knocks me over a cliff, I'm not going anywhere. I keep hustling, I keep moving... and I keep my dignity. Repeating that line has also given me a chuckle here and there.
Things will work out. The universe has a way of balancing itself out when things seem at their absolute worse. Until then, to give you a bit of a laugh, I present the wise words of Graham Chapman and CO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVXR0AKyxA4
There are wise words in this song.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Don't have any specific advice, but I have always tried to have 2 or 3 jobs at a time.
My one "major job", or real job. And a part time gig or two.
Since you don't have a "real job" right now, and are looking, maybe it is the time to develop some side jobs for immediate cash, and so you don't feel completely impotent.
If you have access to a pressure washer, maybe hit up a few local strip centers and such and do their sidewalks. I used to make quite a bit of cash doing driveways and pool decks.
If you have computer or similar skills, a posting on your community internet forum, possibly?
Auto detailing? I used to use a guy who came to the center where I had my gym, and he would detail your car while you were inside.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Can't add anything that wasn't already so well said by the others but keep your head up toker. Somethings bound to happen for you sooner or later.
Damn, thanks adam12 you even made me feel better!
Good luck toker I hope you find work soon.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Well said adam12! I sent a pm in case you still want to talk to someone. I know that a real conversation is much more personal than words on a screen (not that they don't mean anything).

Hang in there toker. If you decide not to talk I won't be hurt but keep in mind that I am here as I am sure others are too.

I will smoke a pipe for you tonight on my break.

Status
Not open for further replies.